Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to angryZebra
Talking I wish I had a helmet cam.

inner city team vs stat-packing team.
I had this JV game the other night, these types can be fun if you play the "I wonder what can possibly happen" bet with yourself. My partner was NEW (2nd game), bad mechanics, made every call faster than I could draw my Glock, & I calmy volunteered my overulings on a few calls, which both coaches thanked me & the fans aplauded. Friendly people, I know a couple of them personally, so it was fun. Like expecting to be amused by the BadNewsBears type of fun.
Here's my favorite play of that game: (bad team at bat) runner on 3rd, dropped third strike: runner darts home with eyes getting wider the closer she gets; batter stands in the box like a deer in the headlights hugging her bat tighter & tighter.... catcher throws to 1st.... runner collides with batter, causing her to miss home plate.
score was many to any, so I really wasn't concerned if/if not anyone counted that....

----------------------------------------------------
Fan: "Hey ref, you suck!"

Ref: "No, I blow... & so do fans come to think of it )
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

One could wonder about the overrulings (judgment or rule?) and what difference would it make in the score if that runner physically touched home plate or not unless there is more to hear...
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryZebra View Post
...My partner was NEW (2nd game), ... I calmy volunteered my overulings on a few calls, which both coaches thanked me & the fans aplauded. ...
Hmmm... maybe you could elaborate, 'cause this sounds like you taught the new umpire early on that a more experience umpire will toss him under the bus to the pleasure of the coaches and fans... (hopefully, not what you meant or did...)
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Hmmm... maybe you could elaborate, 'cause this sounds like you taught the new umpire early on that a more experience umpire will toss him under the bus to the pleasure of the coaches and fans... (hopefully, not what you meant or did...)
Let's not be quite so quick to eat our own here.

I'm willing to give Mr. Zebra the benefit of the doubt here as I have been in similar situations where I had to correct an obvious mis-ruling by a new and/or inexperienced partner.

Example: HS JV game a few years ago, I'm BU, my PU partner is doing about his fourth game ever.

Batter fouls the pitch high off of the backstop, the ball rebounds right to F2 as she turns around and catches the ball before it hits the ground. My PU partner calls the batter out!

Obviously, I was not going to let that call stand, so I trotted down to the plate area and told my partner that the ball had hit the backstop and was just a foul ball. His response was that he thought that anytime the batted ball was caught before it hit the ground, it should be an out.

I do not know exactly what transpired during the game in the OP, but I present this example as a case of what could have happened.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The inexperienced partner may be under the bus but I think someone else is under the bridge.

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13 View Post
The inexperienced partner may be under the bus but I think someone else is under the bridge.
Oh no, you don't mean a.....

Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13 View Post
I guess neither you nor Andy read the last comment of my post. What's up with people jumping immediately onto the "I'm offended so it is your fault" bandwagon here recently?

Asking for clarification on how he "overruled" his partner in a way that generated "applause" from the fans is NOT trolling.

However, accusing someone of trolling can itself be trolling, since the definition of trolling is to post
Quote:
...irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community...with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community...with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.
Well, crap, I guess I'm a troll, then, as I consider myself one of the resident smarta$$es. Laughter is, of course, an emotional response, and it can be disruptive.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Well, crap, I guess I'm a troll, then, as I consider myself one of the resident smarta$$es. Laughter is, of course, an emotional response, and it can be disruptive.
Well, me, too, and proud of it... but the posting I made here was NOT trolling, so I'm offended... and it is YOUR fault!
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I guess neither you nor Andy read the last comment of my post. What's up with people jumping immediately onto the "I'm offended so it is your fault" bandwagon here recently?

Asking for clarification on how he "overruled" his partner in a way that generated "applause" from the fans is NOT trolling.
Tom, maybe I'm mistaken but the way I read the flow of the posts I took the trolling reference to be directed at the OP, not you.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCount View Post
Tom, maybe I'm mistaken but the way I read the flow of the posts I took the trolling reference to be directed at the OP, not you.
Maybe you're right.. but I'm still offended, only now it is YOUR fault!

(For those keeping score, my last two posts WERE trolling!)
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Maybe you're right.. but I'm still offended, only now it is YOUR fault!

(For those keeping score, my last two posts WERE trolling!)
Actually come to think about it you should be offended. Right now everyone in the country seems to be offended about something so you should be too. Now I've got to try and figure out what I'm offended about. Oh, I know- I'm not making enough for anyone to want to limit my bonuses or income. Darn, that is offensive.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

stuck in the dualies?

As a noobie a few years ago, I was working 2-man women's SP. With a runner on 1B I was shading 2B. Batter hit a liner up the middle which F8 came in on quickly and made a throw to 2B for the force.

I couldn't get inside quick enough without impeding the progress of F4 or the runner from 1B, so I sorta just trailed her into 2B. F4 took the throw from F8 while reaching to the SS side of the base. The throw was there 3 steps before the runner, who I called out.

In between innings, my PU came out to whisper to me and asked if I needed glasses. Shocked, I asked why. "That last play, the second baseman was off the base by 3 feet." So I didn't feel too good about that. But I wondered why the runner going to second didn't complain or ask me to check with PU. I was still lamenting the bad call after the game, but my mentor just chalked it up to "that's softball - don't worry about it".

So I didn't get thrown under the bus, just mentally crawled under it myself. So now I try a little harder to anticipate such a play. It is a bit harder on some of those, especially in the SP game where the infielders often play short fielder, and I need to be behind them. Even worse for the men than women.

Ted
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCount View Post
Actually come to think about it you should be offended. Right now everyone in the country seems to be offended about something so you should be too. Now I've got to try and figure out what I'm offended about. Oh, I know- I'm not making enough for anyone to want to limit my bonuses or income. Darn, that is offensive.
I'll give you something offensive...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
As a noobie a few years ago, I was working 2-man women's SP. With a runner on 1B I was shading 2B. Batter hit a liner up the middle which F8 came in on quickly and made a throw to 2B for the force.

I couldn't get inside quick enough without impeding the progress of F4 or the runner from 1B, so I sorta just trailed her into 2B. F4 took the throw from F8 while reaching to the SS side of the base. The throw was there 3 steps before the runner, who I called out.

In between innings, my PU came out to whisper to me and asked if I needed glasses. Shocked, I asked why. "That last play, the second baseman was off the base by 3 feet." So I didn't feel too good about that. But I wondered why the runner going to second didn't complain or ask me to check with PU. I was still lamenting the bad call after the game, but my mentor just chalked it up to "that's softball - don't worry about it".

So I didn't get thrown under the bus, just mentally crawled under it myself. So now I try a little harder to anticipate such a play. It is a bit harder on some of those, especially in the SP game where the infielders often play short fielder, and I need to be behind them. Even worse for the men than women.

Ted
Without going too far down this rabbit hole, why let them push you that far into the outfield? It is acceptable to draw a line between, say, F3 and F4 and stay behind that line. Or in your case, maybe F4 and F6. If F4 is standing 20' in the outfield, you are allowed to adjust.