The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 16, 2009, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS Charged Conferences

In the first inning, the defensive coach calls and is charged with two conferences. In the second inning she/he reaches the fourth charged conference and replaces the pitcher. How many more charged conferences is she/he allowed during a seven inning game? Is she/he allowed three more before the second pitcher must be replaced? Or must she/he replace the pitcher on each subsequent charged conference? NFHS rule cite, please.
Old Mon Mar 16, 2009, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

The number of defensive conferences is limited to three (3) per team per game. (in extra innings one per team, per inning). Each conference after three results in the removal of the pitcher, whether the starter or a sub.

Defensive conferences are not limited to conferences with the pitcher. The coach may meet with any player (or players) during the defensive conference. It is still a conference even if the pitcher is not involved.

There is an exception for an obviously injured/incapacitated player.

The rule is 3-7-1.

In part it states:

Each team, when on defense, may be granted not more than three charged conferences without penalty during a seven-inning game to permit coaches or their representatives to cconfer with a defensive player or players.
Old Mon Mar 16, 2009, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

It seems that the wording is open to interpretation. You seem to be reading it as, "Each team, when on defense, may be granted not more than three charged conferences.." and concluding the fourth is their last permissible conference and it requires the replacement of the pitcher. It can also be read, "Each team, when on defense, may be granted not more than three charged conferences without penalty..." In this case, it could be interpreted as the fourth charged conference results in the penalty (the requirement to replace the pitcher) but does not restrict the total number of charged conferences the defense may call during a game (excluding the provisions for an extra-inning game). Admittedly, your interpretation is convenient but it doesn't seem to be supported by the rules (or cases) and a coach who knows the rule and seeks another conference would interpret it as the latter of these two. As posed in the OP, how can you support your interpretation by rule (other than "That's my interpretation and I'm sticking by it!").
Old Mon Mar 16, 2009, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
PENALTY: (Art.1) After three charged conferences in an seven-inning game ... the pitcher shall be removed for the duration of the game.

"Three" doesn't mean three now and three more for the next pitcher and three more for the next pitcher. It means any defensive conference after three will cause the penalty to be invoked.
Old Mon Mar 16, 2009, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk65 View Post
...other than "That's my interpretation and I'm sticking by it!"
Umm... How about, "that's the interpretation of all organizations , including (shhh) baseball, and I'm sticking by it!"

For NFHS, case book play 3.7.1 Situation F would exemplify this principle.
Old Mon Mar 16, 2009, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk65 View Post
It seems that the wording is open to interpretation....
I disagree; in fact, I don't even understand where another interpretation could come from.
Quote:
Each team, when on defense, may be granted not more than three
charged conferences without penalty during a seven-inning game to permit
coaches or their representatives to confer with a defensive player or players.
How is "not more than three... during a seven-inning game" ambiguous? If you need more, look at the penalty:
Quote:
PENALTY: (Art. 1) After three charged conferences in a seven-inning game, or
for any charged conference in excess of one in each extra inning, the pitcher
shall be removed as pitcher for the duration of the game.
Is the 4th conference after 3? Is the 5th charged conference after 3? Maybe I'm missing what you are saying, but it seems very clear to me.