The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

NFHS Play

Newer umpire here. Here's the play, NFHS Rules please.

Two outs, runner on second. Batter hits a line drive to the outfield. Runner from second is obstructed by the third baseman. The runner is caught in a rundown between third and home. Runner dives back safely into third. Then batter is tagged out sliding into third for the third out. So you have the obstructed runner safe at third, and the batter out at third.

The umpire deems that the original runner who was obstructed would have made it home.

What happens next?
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFan7 View Post
Newer umpire here. Here's the play, NFHS Rules please.

Two outs, runner on second. Batter hits a line drive to the outfield. Runner from second is obstructed by the third baseman. The runner is caught in a rundown between third and home. Runner dives back safely into third. Then batter is tagged out sliding into third for the third out. So you have the obstructed runner safe at third, and the batter out at third.

The umpire deems that the original runner who was obstructed would have made it home.

What happens next?
Time is called... award OB'd runner home, count the run (provided that she would have made it home before the third out "timed play") and call runner out at third out for the 3rd out... and change sides.

Last edited by CajunNewBlue; Wed Mar 04, 2009 at 12:22pm.
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue View Post
... and change sides.
Well, you missed a step. The conversation with the DC.
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Well, you missed a step. The conversation with the DC.
lol..true. but my coaches know better than that ... ok im my dreams, but it could happen.
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Ahh but the obs led to the rundown which led the BR to believe that she could make it to third. No obs on the play and you may not get a throw home to initiate the rundown and BR might have just stopped at 2B

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13 View Post
Ahh but the obs led to the rundown which led the BR to believe that she could make it to third. No obs on the play and you may not get a throw home to initiate the rundown and BR might have just stopped at 2B
cannot guess that. at least im not. I only judge them on their actions. (personally i would think it was kind of stupid for the BR to force two players into one base, especially with the ball being right there.) but thats just me.
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

I am not saying that's how I would call it. Just chucking something out there to think about. OC probably figured that with the ball tied up in the rundown she could make it and by some stroke of luck (or an OBS call) the run would score.

Something else - The OP says that the BR was tagged out sliding into third. What if she would have reached safely then F5 tagged her on the base since R1 was entitled to the base. Then you call dead ball and award the OBS but what about Naomi on third base? Is she still the third out?

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Last edited by tcblue13; Wed Mar 04, 2009 at 01:25pm.
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nope, ain't buying into that one. I would be willing to bet the rundown was initiated long before the BR/R reached 2B. So, between the runner's eyes and the base coaches, the attempt shouldn't even have thought about.

IMO, simply a DMR.

OC: But there was obstruction!
Umpire: Yes, there was and the obstructed runner was awarded home because of it.
OC: But you called my other player out!
Umpire: Yep, sure did coach. Did your base coach send him?
OC: But there was obstruction!

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Wed Mar 04, 2009 at 02:42pm. Reason: Because I'm brain dead
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

I think you meant "OC". Anyway...

OC = rock12 by any chance?
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am not saying that's how I would call it. Just chucking something out there to think about. OC probably figured that with the ball tied up in the rundown she could make it and by some stroke of luck (or an OBS call) the run would score.

Something else - The OP says that the BR was tagged out sliding into third. What if she would have reached safely then F5 tagged her on the base since R1 was entitled to the base. Then you call dead ball and award the OBS but what about Naomi on third base? Is she still the third out?
nope. because the lead runner's actual place is at home plate. and by the defense's error she wasn't at home but stuck at third.
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I think you meant "OC". Anyway...

OC = rock12 by any chance?
That's what I typed
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
nope. because the lead runner's actual place is at home plate. and by the defense's error she wasn't at home but stuck at third.
Sorry, I'm not following. You would not call a runner out if two runners were on the same base solely because you intend to award that runner another base later?
________
properties Pattaya

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:46pm.
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
Sorry, I'm not following. You would not call a runner out if two runners were on the same base solely because you intend to award that runner another base later?
FED play goes like this... obs rounding third on lead runner (and i judge that she would have made home without the OBS) ... lead runner is in rundown between third and home...goes into third safely....trail runner is standing on third also... fielder tags trail runner (for the appeal). I call time, point lead runner to home... turn to trail runner and throw the safe sign.
then take a deep breath, because DC is for sure coming to see me.

anyone see anything wrong with this?
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
FED play goes like this... obs rounding third on lead runner (and i judge that she would have made home without the OBS) ... lead runner is in rundown between third and home...goes into third safely....trail runner is standing on third also... fielder tags trail runner (for the appeal). I call time, point lead runner to home... turn to trail runner and throw the safe sign.
then take a deep breath, because DC is for sure coming to see me.

anyone see anything wrong with this?
I don't see where the BR/R was affected by the OBS. Other rules are not suspended because of an OBS and protection is only applied to the runner obstructed.

Now, if the BR/R stopped at 2B and, IMJ, believed the player would have reached 3B had the OBS not occurred, then I may chose to award that player 3B.
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I don't see where the BR/R was affected by the OBS. Other rules are not suspended because of an OBS and protection is only applied to the runner obstructed.

Now, if the BR/R stopped at 2B and, IMJ, believed the player would have reached 3B had the OBS not occurred, then I may chose to award that player 3B.
ok, im sort of with ya.... BUT, how do i justify by rule calling the trail runner out for being on the bag that she legally obtained? when by rule the lead runner has not actually obtained third but home by judgment and error by the defense?
( i am not awarding her home, i am giving her home that she would have legally obtained had the OBS not occurred)