The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Question ASA Uniform

I am a new registered ASA umpire. What uniform do I need (like shirts with ASA logo, without, hats with ASA or without pant color etc.) Also is there any other place to get stuff with the ASA logo other then officialgear.com?

Thanks for your help

IHSAref
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 03:02am
Official Forum Member

Hi, and welcome. I'm answering guessing you are working FP..

If we are talking minimums, I think you should start out with a couple of ASA shirts (powder blue), a 6 stitch ASA hat and a pair of Honigs combo pants. As you progress you can get more hats/shirts and the ugly ASA pants (plate and base) and the navy shirt. If money is no object, get it all now.

You need the plate gear of course... and there are a million threads on whats what. I wouldnt one stop shop for gear at ASA

For ASA logo stuff you have to go through them or specific vendors of theirs (ebay also often has stuff although pricing is usually about the same).
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Make sure you also verify with your assignor that you're purchasing the correct uniform. Some want navy pants, some want grey pants, etc, etc, etc. Before you spend a couple hundred dollars on equipment, make a phone call first.

Also, find out if some of the more experienced umps in your organization are selling any of their equipment. That's a good way to save a few bucks on chest protectors, leg guards, masks, etc., until you can earn some cash from calling games.

Lastly, definitely visit this board often. We're a spirited bunch, and there's more experience here than you can shake a stick at. If you ever have a question, someone here will have the answer.

Welcome to the blue, IHSARef!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.