The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Not necessarily so. You are suggesting a contradiction is reasons for the change by outlawing equipment the meets the safety standards by a wide margin.
No, I'm stating that umpire consistency on this subject will vary greatly, even among veteran umpires. Some umpires have eliminated all bats without a stamp, regardless of age. I, on the other hand, do not eliminate the bat if it's one that I recognize from before 2000. If I don't recognize it, then it doesn't stay in the game.

And that is how consistency is going out the window. Bats that I allow in game 1 may get tossed in game 2 by other umpires. This makes us look like uncoordinated fools, and will only serve to piss off coaches and players. The only feasible remedy that I can foresee is to only allow stamped bats, nothing else. ASA developed the stamp for a reason: to easily identify bats that definitely meet the ASA standards for safety.

Well, at least before they got sent off to the doctor's office.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

I think you are making a lot out of something that just isn't there at most levels. Remember, Championship Play. How many of these older bats do you think you are going to see in Championship Play? If you see a couple, big deal, make a decision or have the UIC rule on it. Keep the other umpires in the tournament informed.

Now, you are actually going to have to open your mouth and say something stupid or trip in the field before they think you are an uncoordinated fool.

This basically provides guidelines to allow bats that are obviously much safer and will be much more applicable at the lower levels. If you believe it to be that much of a problem, approach the local leagues about a possible ammendment to the ASA rules to eliminate the option of using the pre-2000 bats.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think you are making a lot out of something that just isn't there at most levels. Remember, Championship Play. How many of these older bats do you think you are going to see in Championship Play? ...
I remember the rules clinic the year after the 2004 stamp was first used. About bat inspections in league games, we were actually told by the clinician: "If it looks like a bat, it is legal."
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I remember the rules clinic the year after the 2004 stamp was first used. About bat inspections in league games, we were actually told by the clinician: "If it looks like a bat, it is legal."
Did he give you his address for the subpoena if you may need him to testify at your trial?
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did he give you his address for the subpoena if you may need him to testify at your trial?
No (I knew it anyway...), but he didn't repeat that statement at the following year's clinic, either...
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

I would like to see bats with only the 2004 seal be legal, Like the NCAA. Then the banned list could be real short. 4 bats.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Let me stir this up a little more.

Apparently, ASA is experimenting around the country with a COR .52, and extremely low compression (225-275). Supposedly the exit speed is slower than when the ball reaches the outfield.

I cannot wait to see a ball accelerate with distance.

Here's the troublesome part. Some believe that if this ball proves good, many of the previously banned bats will be "unbanned".
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Let me stir this up a little more.

Apparently, ASA is experimenting around the country with a COR .52, and extremely low compression (225-275). Supposedly the exit speed is slower than when the ball reaches the outfield.

I cannot wait to see a ball accelerate with distance.
I'd like to hear the physics of that explained. Maybe the ball has a cold fusion reactor inside.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
God, I would like to see the elimination of metal bats so we could go back to all wood. Let's get back to the way the game was meant to be played.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I'd like to hear the physics of that explained. Maybe the ball has a cold fusion reactor inside.
I think they have minute jet engines that pop out of the side when the ball detects it is over grass
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think you are making a lot out of something that just isn't there at most levels. Remember, Championship Play. How many of these older bats do you think you are going to see in Championship Play? If you see a couple, big deal, make a decision or have the UIC rule on it. Keep the other umpires in the tournament informed.

Now, you are actually going to have to open your mouth and say something stupid or trip in the field before they think you are an uncoordinated fool.

This basically provides guidelines to allow bats that are obviously much safer and will be much more applicable at the lower levels. If you believe it to be that much of a problem, approach the local leagues about a possible ammendment to the ASA rules to eliminate the option of using the pre-2000 bats.
Apparently, you haven't seen us dance.

Anyway, I've said my piece, and I'm sticking to it.

I miss my old Bombat. 33 inches, 34 ounces of pure hurt! What's with these 6'3", 260 pound linebacker-lookin' guys saying that those bats are too heavy? I used that bat when I was 13 and weighed only 150, ya pansy.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Matter of fact, here's a picture of that bat. Yep, that's me. Many years ago.

Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 09:31am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post

NCASAUmp:

Gosh, I didn't know they had color photography back then, .

MTD, Sr.

P.S. H.S. baseball and fastpitch softball seasons are just around the corner and I thought I should get back into the habit of checking the other forums. go over the Basketball Forum and read the posts about me officiating with Dr. Naismith, .
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
NCASAUmp:

Gosh, I didn't know they had color photography back then, .

MTD, Sr.

P.S. H.S. baseball and fastpitch softball seasons are just around the corner and I thought I should get back into the habit of checking the other forums. go over the Basketball Forum and read the posts about me officiating with Dr. Naismith, .
Pffft... I'm only 31, man! :P

Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post

Is that a red headed mullet ?