The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Mon May 20, 2002, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

First of all let me state that I am both Federation and a ASA Umpire and am clearly prejudice. As I believe it has been previously stated in this forum or on others ASA has one of the best training for it's umpires, overall. I have not done any coaching for over 2 years and when I did, it was at the age level of 8 & under. So When a family member who coaches 12 and under club ball recently had some surgery asked me to fill in on the sidelines the last couple weekends and my schedule was empty (summer tournamnets, ASA, in Indiana don't start until the first weekend in June or after High school ball is done)I gladly accepted. Needless to say the organizing groups putting the tournaments on were not ASA. I am not saying by any means that ASA is perfect, we all know it's not, I'm just prejudice like I said before.
I saw things the last couple of week-ends I truly believe will make me a better umpire. Like, does anyone ck bats and helmets anymore?, Since when can umpires have a conversation on a cell phone from the "B" postion?, has the inside out, outside in theory been changed and I miss that memo?, does anyone call illegal pitches anymore?, is the plate still a part of fair territory?
I have seen comments made also on this forum about how parents need to step onto our side of the lines for once to get a feeling of the umpires judgement, I am now supporting the idea that maybe we need to step onto fans side if we have not been given that chance thru our own children. ( My children are 3 and 1 so I have a couple of years to go).
Thanks for this oppurtunity to vent...