Interesting. You mean there are no tests
to pass to be qualified for ASA rules
to become and umpire? Just a registration
fee? WOW! I guess that accounts for why
I've encountered so many umpires over the
years that I thought might be a little
lacking on rule knowledge. I think I'll
look into this. Thanks for the info.

I didn't say that. I said to be a registered ASA umpire, you need only pay the registration fee to the local ASA organization.

Now, most organizations take pride in their work and have their individual requirements.

In DE, the registration is $35 which includes the rule book, umpire manual, bat ring, insurance, etc. Everyone is required to attend the State School in their first three years of membership. The school cost $15 which includes a school shirt. There are annual state clinics offered in each county at no charge to anyone who wishes to attend.

At the association level, each umpire is required to attend a clinic every year, take the test every year and attend association meetings approx every two weeks. The meeting attendence is often overlooked as it is a weeknight and we still have to cover games.

But no where have I ever seen where ASA certifies an umpire. I have been told that in a particular state, the ASA umpires can obtain "certification" by meeting the requirements of 2 years of ASA registration, passing the test with at least a score of 75%, and pay an extra $15 over the registration. They must be "certified" to be qualified to work championship play (States/Qualifiers).