The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Angry He spit at me....

So he wasn't happy at a call I made. No big thing the usual SP crying and whining. The game ends,the teams are doing the post game handshake. I'm picking up the softballs and he calls me a son of a b@t%&.

So I eject and I start walking towards the scorekeeper and same player turns and attempts to spit on me. Wasn't even close. Short by 10 feet and wide right.

So I do the reports and we'll see what happens....Is attempted spitting on someone a crime ? I know spitting on someone is a crime,not that the DA would prosecute, but was wondering if the attempt would be considered some sort of assault ?

First time I've had something in the physical realm happen to me. Been cussed at and called every name in the book,thats old hat, but for someone to spit at me,well that was kinda strange......
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Yes, it's assault, and no, no prosecutor in the world will file it.

Is there a league or something you can report this a$$hole to, that could suspend him, or ban him for life, or have him shot or something? Even I've never been spit at, and I'm sure I've deserved it several times.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Is it time for another 'why are you doing beer-league SP?' post yet?

Just let me know
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Well, for something like that, you could probably forfeit their game. However, this is after the fact. Can you really forfeit a completed game?

Reason why I ask is because some leagues require a "reinstatement fee" if a team forfeits a game. Some leagues even kick teams out of the league who have too many forfeits due to the hassle it's causing other teams.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
The game ends,the teams are doing the post game handshake. I'm picking up the softballs and he calls me a son of a b@t%&.

So I eject ...
Why bother at this point? Tell him "thank you", and leave. He's already peeved at you, why make it worse? Now you also have to write a funky report about how you ejected a player during the post-game handshake, and you have to now worry about him spitting on you, or worse.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
Well, for something like that, you could probably forfeit their game. However, this is after the fact. Can you really forfeit a completed game?

Reason why I ask is because some leagues require a "reinstatement fee" if a team forfeits a game. Some leagues even kick teams out of the league who have too many forfeits due to the hassle it's causing other teams.
Jurisdiction starts when you enter the field. You can rule on a protest despite apparent game-ending as long as you haven't left the field. You can (and he did) eject a player as long as you haven't left the field. So, hell yes, you still have jurisdiction over the game until you have left the field.

Even though no prosecutor would pursue it, I would urge you to file a complaint with the local police. It is the principle, and the message that this is unacceptable, that are important.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
Why bother at this point? Tell him "thank you", and leave. He's already peeved at you, why make it worse? Now you also have to write a funky report about how you ejected a player during the post-game handshake, and you have to now worry about him spitting on you, or worse.
I agree with that, too. I would have ignored him, without the ejection, unless it was so loud as to be unignorable. But, once it progressed to spitting at you, the guy has anger issues, and needs to learn limits.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
You bother because it is unacceptable behavior on a ballfield and, more importantly, to document the event.

BTW, a prosecutor would/should file involving spitting on an individual especially if there were health concerns.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
I didn't make it worse. He did. The longer I do this the more of a believer I am not people's personal verbal punching bag. He acted the fool I rewarded him for his behavior and he took it a step further.

There were about 40-50 people who heard and saw his actions. They, other SP players, were upset by his behavior. Even heard one comment " if that doesn't get you ejected nothing will."

Writing a report took about as much time as this latest post of mine. I don't mind it at all. I .usually, volunteer to do it in my other sports because partners would rather be abused then fill out an email that takes less then 5 minutes to write.

I believe my actions were a no brainer and I wouldn't change my actions one bit.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Don't get me wrong guys... I'm separating the actions into distinct things...

After the game had ended:
1. He called you a son of a B.
2. Because of #1, you ejected him.
3. Because of #2, he spat at you.

It was just #1... I would have left it alone. Just leave. No need to stick around and engage in a verbal sparring match after the game is already over. And in my opinion, no need to proceed to #2. Once you do that, now you have to stand there and get his team name, player name, and go through the process.

But you ejected... and he spat at you. Absolutely, without a doubt, no questions - write it up, and submit it. And I tend to agree that the police report is warranted. Nothing may be done, but it sets a history on this guy in case something in the future escalates.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
I completely disagree. His actions are caused by a complete disregard for decency, sportsmanship and respect for authority.

I reiterate what I've said in the past. If an umpire ignores this behavior, he only makes things that much harder for the rest of us. If tossing the player requires paperwork, I will gladly take the time to see it done. Paperwork should never hinder an umpire from doing the right thing.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 03:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
Don't get me wrong guys... I'm separating the actions into distinct things...

After the game had ended:
1. He called you a son of a B.
2. Because of #1, you ejected him.
3. Because of #2, he spat at you.

It was just #1... I would have left it alone. Just leave. No need to stick around and engage in a verbal sparring match after the game is already over. And in my opinion, no need to proceed to #2. Once you do that, now you have to stand there and get his team name, player name, and go through the process.

But you ejected... and he spat at you. Absolutely, without a doubt, no questions - write it up, and submit it. And I tend to agree that the police report is warranted. Nothing may be done, but it sets a history on this guy in case something in the future escalates.
Let's take it a little further...instead of spitting, the player says, "You ought to have your mf *** kicked for making a call like that, you flaking corksoaker."

Is that enough to warrant a police report?
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
Let's take it a little further...instead of spitting, the player says, "You ought to have your mf *** kicked for making a call like that, you flaking corksoaker."

Is that enough to warrant a police report?
I doubt it since there was no threat.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I doubt it since there was no threat.
In NC, the "flaking corksoaker" is still considered "simple assault." Probably in most other states, too.

Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

If you call the cops, it is your last night working. The word will spread among the beer league guys and you are done pretty much IMO.

Beer league guys dont like cops being called.

So call them if you have too, but thats it. Thats your resignation.

Or watch your back BIG TIME.