The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 21, 2002, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I had a runner on second and third & 2 outs. the batter had a full count on her. The catcher drops strike three call and the batter steps out of the box and turns toward her dugout on the third base side then realizes the drop and takes of running to first. the catcher throws the ball to rightfield and the runners score from second and third and the runner makes it to first. The PU turned his back after the third strike call (He addmitted) and did not see the batter so he asked the FU and he told him about the batter stepping out of the box. The PU called the batter out (with help from the other coach)thus ending the game and i lose. Was this the right call or not.
Old Sun Apr 21, 2002, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking ASA............and most codes that I know of.......

The BR can make it all the way to the dugout and still decide to legally head to first..........

Somebody booted one..............

Joel
Old Sun Apr 21, 2002, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

I'm with Joel on this one. Stepping out of the batter's box and/or toward the 3B dugout is irrelevent.

Old Sun Apr 21, 2002, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

reed2310,

Welcome to the board. Both Joel and Mike have naturally,
correctely responsed to your question. As long as the R
did not enter the dugout, she can turn and scoooot.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Tue Apr 23, 2002, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Talking drop third strike

Thank-you for your reply's.
Old Tue Apr 23, 2002, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Had the same play in a Pony qualifier last year. Coach insisted that all it takes is "one step toward the dugout" and the batter is automatically out. He repeated "one step toward the dugout" several times. When I asked him whether he was quoting the rule book, he replied, with a straight face, that he saw it happen on TV, and that's what the announcer said.
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
Had the same play in a Pony qualifier last year. Coach insisted that all it takes is "one step toward the dugout" and the batter is automatically out. He repeated "one step toward the dugout" several times. When I asked him whether he was quoting the rule book, he replied, with a straight face, that he saw it happen on TV, and that's what the announcer said.
By golly, if Tim McCarver said it was the rule...........

Steve M
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When I asked him whether he was quoting the rule book, he replied, with a straight face, that he saw it happen on TV, and that's what the announcer said.
Let me see if I understand this...

A coach was using a TV commentator's remarks about, presumably, MLB rules, and taking that as authoritative on Pony softball?

Sometimes there is nothing to do but shake your head and walk away.
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

I should have realized that readers of my post might assume the coach to be referring to a MLB game he had watched on TV. In fact, he claimed his rules degree from having watched the women's college World Series.

Great wisdom last year from the Little League World Series, too: after the third baseman fielded a foul bouncer down the line, the announcer informed the TV audience that had F5 managed to keep his feet on the fair side of the line, the ball would have been fair, and he could have thrown the batter out at first.

[Edited by greymule on Apr 24th, 2002 at 03:59 PM]
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Pet peeve: A player or coach citing ANYTHING from TV as justification for arguing a call.

A couple of years ago during a playoff game, I'm working with a rookie umpire who was behind the plate. There was a no tag/no touch play at home. The rook hesitates, neither player reacts, he rules safe. Teammates scream for the catcher to tag the runner, he does and my partner rules the runner out on appeal.

Both coaches were on the field arguing. The defense wants to know why he ruled the runner safe and the offense wanted to know why we changed the call. Once the defensive coach realized he got his out call, he backed off, but that didn't stop the offense from arguing that 1) the umpire should have made No call and confused everyone by calling "safe, and 2) an umpire can never change a judgment call.

I slowly walked in listening to the argument and the second I heard the coach cite Richie Ashburn from the previous night's Pirate-Phillies game, I turned to my partner and said, "We've heard enough, let's play ball". We both turned away from the coach and returned to our position. He didn't know what to do standing there all by himself so he went back to the dugout totally confused why we refused to listen to him.

After the game, he complained to the complex coordinator and the minute he mentioned the Pirates-Phillies game, the coordinator just started laughing an walked away. I almost started feeling sorry for the coach d:-)

Old Sun Jun 09, 2002, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up drop third strike

thats has haooend to my son many times before he hasnt not realized that the catcher dropped it and was on his way back to the dugout then he hussled down to first and it counted no argument was even made
Old Sun Jun 09, 2002, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I should have realized that readers of my post might assume the coach to be referring to a MLB game he had watched on TV. In fact, he claimed his rules degree from having watched the women's college World Series.

[Edited by greymule on Apr 24th, 2002 at 03:59 PM]
Yeah...these were probably the same capable announcers that told us this year it was "necessary to touch the base with the ball" on a force out. Those founts of wisdom!

Scott