The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 09, 2002, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Successful InTERvention is what it should say...

I was calling a Jr Hi game on Tuesday - modified NFHS rules.

R3 comes in on a hit into the outfield. F2 mostly blocking the plate. R3 brushed F2 as she touches the edge of the plate - not a collision, really. Runner touched home, so I let it go. Jr Hi, after all.

Coach wants runner called out because she did not slide.

I explain - "no play being made, catcher was blocking the plate, there is no 'must slide' rule."

He insists it was one of the rule modifications made for Jr Hi.

I smile & say, "sure it was." End of discussion, good sportsmanship, etc. Coach did not continue.

I called the athletic director the next day to ask if there had been another change to the rules. The rule was NOT there, however, the coach had already gotten to him, and had convinced him that the "must slide" rule needed to be added.

I explained the existing NFHS rule; I warned him of the safety danger & possible liability issue with requiring Jr Hi kids to slide, when many of them don't know how to slide, and haven't been adequately coached in how to slide.

I think he understood. I hope he understood!

Volunteering to umpire Jr Hi games sure has been an adventure!
Old Thu May 09, 2002, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I think this must slide rule is becoming a MAJOR "rule myth" everywhere I dont remember if Joel had this on his "rule myths" but if not it probably needs added on. I can remember several years ago when my boy was playing H.S. ball and a coach on the other team came out wanting a similiar call and I said something to the nature loud enough for everybody to hear that we would have runners slide into the base but if the catcher is going to stand on the plate when there is no play there would be a good chance the catcher would get his leg broken. This really made the other coach and some players mad and the whole thing went crazy for a little while. Never understood why they thought it was safer for the runner to come in sliding??

Don
Old Thu May 09, 2002, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Frankly, it was better when crashes were allowed, as long as they weren't dirty (elbows, arms thrown). There were far fewer arguments---and injuries. The catcher knew the runner was going to try to dislodge the ball and played accordingly. Fielders today think that nobody can touch them, so they stand anywhere they please.

I guess with kids' rec the no-crash rule is necessary, though.

The ASA no-crash rule came in somewhere around 1980, I think. I often caught in slow pitch and was surprised the first time a runner gave himself up. The rule was not intended to prevent all crashes, just the one in which the catcher had the ball and was waiting for the runner, and the runner felt obliged to try to dislodge the ball by crashing. Fed is hyper-safe; I think they simply want to cut down on as much contact as possible.

Yes, myth #1 is that the runner must slide.

[Edited by greymule on May 9th, 2002 at 03:32 PM]
Old Thu May 09, 2002, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Actually..........it's Myth #20.........grin

http://www.eteamz.com/sites/GCBUmpir...Myth's.doc

Joel

Old Fri May 24, 2002, 04:41pm
In Memoriam

Re: Successful InTERvention is what it should say...

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
I was calling a Jr Hi game on Tuesday - modified NFHS rules.

R3 comes in on a hit into the outfield. F2 mostly blocking the plate. R3 brushed F2 as she touches the edge of the plate - not a collision, really. Runner touched home, so I let it go. Jr Hi, after all.

Coach wants runner called out because she did not slide.

I explain - "no play being made, catcher was blocking the plate, there is no 'must slide' rule."

He insists it was one of the rule modifications made for Jr Hi.

I smile & say, "sure it was." End of discussion, good sportsmanship, etc. Coach did not continue.

I called the athletic director the next day to ask if there had been another change to the rules. The rule was NOT there, however, the coach had already gotten to him, and had convinced him that the "must slide" rule needed to be added.

I explained the existing NFHS rule; I warned him of the safety danger & possible liability issue with requiring Jr Hi kids to slide, when many of them don't know how to slide, and haven't been adequately coached in how to slide.

I think he understood. I hope he understood!

Volunteering to umpire Jr Hi games sure has been an adventure!
I was working bases t'other day and, after a play at the plate, overheard a coach telling the dugout players how they have to slide. After the inning I went to the manager and told him what I heard.
He agreed with me and undid his coach's explanation to his players.
mick
Old Fri May 24, 2002, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
Frankly, it was better when crashes were allowed, as long as they weren't dirty (elbows, arms thrown). There were far fewer arguments---and injuries. The catcher knew the runner was going to try to dislodge the ball and played accordingly. Fielders today think that nobody can touch them, so they stand anywhere they please.

I guess with kids' rec the no-crash rule is necessary, though.

The ASA no-crash rule came in somewhere around 1980, I think. I often caught in slow pitch and was surprised the first time a runner gave himself up. The rule was not intended to prevent all crashes, just the one in which the catcher had the ball and was waiting for the runner, and the runner felt obliged to try to dislodge the ball by crashing. Fed is hyper-safe; I think they simply want to cut down on as much contact as possible.

Yes, myth #1 is that the runner must slide.

[Edited by greymule on May 9th, 2002 at 03:32 PM]
It's all about liability and the money. Even more so now that an insurance company attempt to recoup claim's payments through litigation WITHOUT the injured's consent.