View Single Post
Old Fri May 24, 2002, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
Frankly, it was better when crashes were allowed, as long as they weren't dirty (elbows, arms thrown). There were far fewer arguments---and injuries. The catcher knew the runner was going to try to dislodge the ball and played accordingly. Fielders today think that nobody can touch them, so they stand anywhere they please.

I guess with kids' rec the no-crash rule is necessary, though.

The ASA no-crash rule came in somewhere around 1980, I think. I often caught in slow pitch and was surprised the first time a runner gave himself up. The rule was not intended to prevent all crashes, just the one in which the catcher had the ball and was waiting for the runner, and the runner felt obliged to try to dislodge the ball by crashing. Fed is hyper-safe; I think they simply want to cut down on as much contact as possible.

Yes, myth #1 is that the runner must slide.

[Edited by greymule on May 9th, 2002 at 03:32 PM]
It's all about liability and the money. Even more so now that an insurance company attempt to recoup claim's payments through litigation WITHOUT the injured's consent.