The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 18, 2002, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Can someone explain (or tell me where I can find information) on the differences in specs and playing abilities between the 12 inch yellow optic balls and the white blue or red dot balls. We've introduce the yellow optic balls in our slowpitch league and the long ball hitters are complaining by saying they do not travel as far.
Old Sat May 18, 2002, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Balls!!!

I doubt the distance has anything to do with the ball color but the ball manufactors. I have found out this year we change our league balls from Legends to McGregor that just because the ball both say .47 core red stitch their is a noticable difference on hardness and how far they travel

JMO

Don
Old Sat May 18, 2002, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

There are a few different types of softballs manufacturee..........the poly-core ball does not lose its hardness as fast as other ball types.......

There is also something called compression......you can have a ball with a .44 COR and a 525 compression that will fly further than an identical COR of .44 but a compression of 375......

You have to look at both #'s

Your best results should be purchasing identical Brand balls that have the same construction with identical COR and compression.

Joel

[Edited by Gulf Coast Blue on May 18th, 2002 at 06:36 PM]
Old Mon May 20, 2002, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

On some of the balls(e.g. Dudley), don't the letter codes also indicate overall performance of the ball?

I seem to remember some .47 COR Dudley's with letter codes of "LF" or some such (for "limited flight"?) being used by some leagues as a safety measure?

Or, am I wrong about this?