The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 23, 2008, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Are you saying that you don't feel that it should be diverse, considering all the geography and culture this state spans?
That's exactly what I'm saying. When anything other than the quality of an official is used to determine assignments, it does a disservice to the game.

Quote:
Do you feel that you can umpire a better game and are better prepared to handle the pressures of the state tournament better than, say, a Dora Martinez?
This is an inappropriate question that would require an inappropriate answer.

Quote:
I am really not sure what your beef is, or what you are getting at.
Why do I have to have a "beef" to voice my opinion of the state of HS softball in my area? I'm not sure why you keep trying to make this about me.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2008, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
That's exactly what I'm saying. When anything other than the quality of an official is used to determine assignments, it does a disservice to the game.
I don't think either one of us are arguing with this. However, you wanted to blame the UIL or TASO for the failure of the various chapters, apparently. After all, it is there that the list of names that goes to UIL orginates. Now, granted, that a top 25% offical from Dallas or Houston or San Antonio may be more qualified than a top 25% from a chapter that has 20 total officials. But the folks in the local chapters should know who is qualified, that's the point. Don't lay the blame at the feet of TASO or UIL. All they see at UIL is a list of folks supposedly qualified to officiate at this level. The officers of each chapter know what the list they are submitting is for.

Quote:
This is an inappropriate question that would require an inappropriate answer. .
Maybe not the best question, but certainly to the point. A female, who happens to be hispanic, who happens to be an excellent umpire. But fair enough...let's skip this and move on.

What I have seen at the state tournament are umpires who are there, trying to give it their best. Men and women who, while maybe not succeeding, are striving to be the best official, and give the best game they possibly can. As with anything, no doubt, there are exceptions. The chapter president from Podunk, Texas, who wants to get his good friend into the state tournament because it is his "lifelong dream," who submits year after year this unqualified official's name. Of course this stuff happens. But all the folks in Austin can do is look at a list, and assume that these are the best officials that Texas has to offer. From there do they pick diversely, I don't know. Does it really matter? I mean, according to the list, isn't Jane Doe as good as John Doe as good as Juanita Dos as good as Jean Deaux in theory??? Maybe not in fact, but in theory? The only other option would be to pay someone to travel and personally evaluate every umpire in the state of Texas. Are you willing to see your TASO dues go up, say 200% for this to happen?

Quote:
Why do I have to have a "beef" to voice my opinion of the state of HS softball in my area? I'm not sure why you keep trying to make this about me.
I am not trying to make this about you. I am trying to explain, apparently unsuccessfully, how the system works. There is no grand conspiracy to keep qualified officials out of the state tournament. In fact, it is quite the opposite. Peter Contreras and Walt Sparks and all of the schools participating in the state tournament want the best officials available. If your local chapter is failing to provide this information to the state, then either speak to the officers, or throw them out the next time elections roll around. The chapter officers are supposed to represent you and your interests to TASO, and TASO is supposed to represent those interests to the UIL (which they failed miserably on with the latest changes to Section 1204, but that is another story.) If you can think of, and implement a better system, I say go for it. But consider the size of this state, the number of officials working any one sport at any one time, and I think the system we have in place is probably about the best you are going to come up with.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2008, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What I have seen at the state tournament are umpires who are there, trying to give it their best. Men and women who, while maybe not succeeding, are striving to be the best official, and give the best game they possibly can.
No doubt. It's not about them.

Quote:
The only other option would be to pay someone to travel and personally evaluate every umpire in the state of Texas. Are you willing to see your TASO dues go up, say 200% for this to happen?
No. Let UIL and the schools pay for it. It's their game. They can use the money they'll be saving on travel.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2008, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No. Let UIL and the schools pay for it. It's their game. They can use the money they'll be saving on travel.
Like that will happen. You know who would foot the bill, without a doubt. But if you can sell them on that, then I am all for it.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2008, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

In 1982, my unit of the Southern California Baseball Officials Association decided to hold an 'in-house' evaluation of each other. It was for umpires you worked with the past two seasons. Four fellow umpires gave me a very poor rating. The upshot of this was twofold.

1..I injured my right leg during the basketball season in 1978, then changed jobs, and hadn't done HS baseball since.

2..I had NEVER worked with any of these four schmucks on ANY level, never mind HS ball. I didn't even know them.

So much for evaluating our fellow umpires.

Bob
Old Wed Oct 29, 2008, 02:41am
Official Forum Member

I'm so happy to know that in the 11 years since I lived in Texas, not a damn thing has changed.

Don't worry. Same crap happens up here, except the state tournaments are bigger -- gotta be PC and all-inclusive and all that other stuff. We have excellent umpires assigned to state from all over WA, and some others who quite frankly have no business owning a blue shirt.

You would think Charles Breithaupt, Peter Contreras or someone would come up with something to make things better down there. After all, everything is bigger and better in TX, right? One of Breithaupt's basketball teams got screwed at state about 25 or so years ago, so you'd think he had a vested interest. Peter's been insulated in the UIL office for so long...

They're both great guys, but there are great guys and gals running things in most every state. It would seem they all want to be certain they have the BEST working the playoffs and especially at the state tournament...