The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 11, 2002, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Glen & Joel,

My daughter's Plano East team advanced to the Regional Semifinals at Baylor next Friday - they will face Bryan. I haven't seen Bryan play since early April in a local tourney. Do you have any info useful about the pitcher?

Thanks

Gary
Old Sun May 12, 2002, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

RE: Bryan

Quote:
Originally posted by ntxblue
Glen & Joel,

My daughter's Plano East team advanced to the Regional Semifinals at Baylor next Friday - they will face Bryan. I haven't seen Bryan play since early April in a local tourney. Do you have any info useful about the pitcher?

Thanks

Gary
Gary,
Sorry - but I was not able to work the tournament I was scheduled to work
that Bryan played in. That was during my back problems...miss a lot of softball
umpiring 2 1/2 months.....

Good Luck

I did meet Joel this Sat., at a USSSA tournament I was
particating in. He came down to watch a couple of games..
He is just like all his post...class act...He might have
seen them play....

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun May 12, 2002, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ntxblue
Glen & Joel,

Thanks

Gary
Not to be a spoilsport, stick-in-the-mud, wet blanket, fuddy-duddy, old fogy, stuffed shirt, fussbudget, ...

But,...
10. Do not give information which might be used by a team's future opponent. (ASA CODE OF ETHICS FOR UMPIRES)
Old Sun May 12, 2002, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Since I have never umpired one of their games........I am exempt from the ASA code of conduct in this instance........grin

Sorry Gary.........but I have not seen them play.......but do remember some articles in the Chronicle........the big question about Bryan this year was the graduation of their 2 time All State pitcher......

I still think they went the year with only 6-7 losses though.....so they MUST be a pretty good squad......somewhere in the back of my mind.......I thought I read that Bryan was counting on a solid defence and potent offensive line-up......

As glen noted.......he umped in a USSSA 16U National Qualifier tourney this weekend where we hooked up for awhile.........If I would have known your question before this tournament......I am sure I could have gotten a good scouting report.......

glens partner in the first two games, has a sister who is pitching for Elsik (who is still in the hunt)......and maybe he would have had some skinny on Bryan......

On a side note........glens partner in the games I saw was a young (seemingly up and coming) umpire that did a fine job. You would not have known that he and glen had never worked together before..........

Oh yeah.........glen did a fine job too (even though his shoes almost blinded me and half of the girls on the field)............and he might be as loud as I am on the when selling a call........grin

glen and I did have a few minutes to chat, and decided that we would love to work with some of the guys we have gotten to know on the board.........agreed it would be a hoot........and an honor to work with all of you guys......

We were also disappointed that Steve would not be coming down this Fall............sigh

Joel

Old Sun May 12, 2002, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Guys,

I didn't really expect a scouting report. Varsity coaches have been sending scouts for the past two weeks.

Just my feeble attempt to mask boasting a little about my daughter's HS team. It's really going to be a fabulous experience for these girls to play in Baylor's new stadium. It's supposed to be one of the nicest.

Glad Glen and Joel got together. I really would like to hook up with y'all for a tournament. We could do 3-man - and I volumteer to be the rabbit!!

Dakota - You're not a spoil sport, etc...... Just a man of integrity!

Gary
Old Mon May 13, 2002, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Gary,

I saw Bryan in a 40 team HS tournament in Bullhead City, AZ in mid-March. This tournament had teams from CA, AZ, UT, NV, NM, and TX. Supposedly, 15 of these teams were in USA Today's Top 25 nationally. (How anybody can nationally rank HS sports is another question!)

I did not get chance to do any of Bryan's games, but did get to watch parts on my off games.

Bryan ended up winning the tournament. All of my buddies who did their games were impressed...solid all-around team that is well coached and will not beat themselves.

Just to echo the others...I would love to work with any of you folks!