The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 11, 2002, 02:47am
Official Forum Member

I have run across a new one this year........

Apparently there are many umpires in my association that are allowing the catchers to do just damn near anything they want to attempt to distract the batter......

I have not called a lot of 10U games.........but just about every 10U game that I have called.........I have had to instruct the catcher to NOT address the batter once the pitcher is in the wind-up.......(and a few 12U and even one 14U game)......

I don't have a problem with a catcher who is overly chatty while the batter is taking signs......or is getting settled in the box.........BUT.......once the pitcher begins her wind-up.......I expect them to keep their mouth shut......

In every case..........I have had a DISTRESSED coach come to me between innings wanting to know WHY their catchers can't SCREAM/YELL STRIKE/or INTIMIDATE the batters.........

I tell them to look at ASA 10-9........of course.....none of the coaches have their books with them..........

Many of the cheers I hear on the fields break 10-9 (when I am paying attention to them)......and when I do notice them, I will usually comment to the coach..........but to be honest.........I attempt to block out the incessant cheering from the dugouts........but I do pay attention to the catcher............

Do any of you allow the catcher to talk to the batter once the windup begins..........and if you do.........how do you justify it under the rules?

Joel

Old Sat May 11, 2002, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Never! I had one in a 12U game about a week ago who thought that she could skirt the rules by singing and humming. Put a stop to that real quick. But it had been years since I had any problem of this nature.

Scott
Old Sat May 11, 2002, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

There is no justificationin any rule book I've ever read. I never let the catcher talk to, or say or do anthing to distract the batter. I never let the players, or those in the dugout, say anything to, or about the opposition. I didn't discuss this with players or coaches. I warned them that it was unsportsmanlike, and if continued, there would be some people missing the game.

Bob
Old Sun May 12, 2002, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys..........this is a reletively new thing.......I have had catchers pull this before and I put a stop to it.......BUT NEVER had a coach come out and question it until this year.........

I don't stop the friendly banter between a Batter and Catcher during preliminaries.........many times......I find out more about boyfriends and such that I NEVER wanted to know........grin

Joel

Old Mon May 13, 2002, 05:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gulf Coast Blue
Thanks guys..........this is a reletively new thing.......I have had catchers pull this before and I put a stop to it.......BUT NEVER had a coach come out and question it until this year.........

I don't stop the friendly banter between a Batter and Catcher during preliminaries.........many times......I find out more about boyfriends and such that I NEVER wanted to know........grin

Joel

Thank goodness you don't work your daughter's games !