The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 06, 2002, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Need some advice from you vets that call the younger group on a situation that happen tonight 10u rec league ball ASA.

Team A batter up pitcher throws a pitch that lands 10' or more in front of the plate, bounces a couple of times then hits the batter which has never moved a inch in the foot. I call a "ball" but do not award 1st base since batter never moved.

Then Team B batter is up, pitch comes in and hits dirt about a foot in front of her then bounces and hits batter in the shin. I award the batter 1st my thought at this age batter didnt have time to react and move out of the way

Okay you can probably see the problem coming some Dad from team A start hollering through the fence that I am cheating their team for not awarding team A 1st as I did team B. I inform the fan that I do not discuss game situation with the fans that he needed to go through his team coach. Well between innings Team A coach comes a griping about the situation which I tried to explain the coach the rule and the differences on the call. He didnt get it

Anyway my question is at this age group is it reasonable to expect a batter to move or do you just award anytime the batter is contacted with a pitched ball??

Thanks

Don
Rookie Blue again
Old Tue May 07, 2002, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Don,

You made the correct call. The pitchers in most of these games don't throw very fast. Batters generally DO have enough time to react.

Most of the problems in these rec league games comes from the coaches not understanding the basic rules. Even though this is a rec league (instructional for many of the girls), it is the coach's responsibility to understand the rules.

If they want to learn, I'll work with them. But if the coach is telling his players that blue is "cheating" his team, then the coach is setting himself up to receive my immediate attention.

The frustration from this type of experiernce is one of the reasons I shy away from younger age rec leagues. Which is a shame because the girls really need our help.

Gary
Old Tue May 07, 2002, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Don,

The only thing I would add to Gary's comments is that at these ages (I include 12U also, particularly rec 12U), the girls don't have to do much to "attempt" to avoid - any kind of movement to protect or such qualifies.

I also agree that taking into account whether the batter had a chance to react and giving her the benefit of the doubt on the funny bounce is a good call.

However, just standing there watching a slow bouncer, no that wouldn't qualify.

Your bad luck was the timing of these two calls got the natives aroused.
Old Tue May 07, 2002, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oppool
Need some advice from you vets that call the younger group on a situation that happen tonight 10u rec league ball ASA.

Team A batter up pitcher throws a pitch that lands 10' or more in front of the plate, bounces a couple of times then hits the batter which has never moved a inch in the foot. I call a "ball" but do not award 1st base since batter never moved.

Then Team B batter is up, pitch comes in and hits dirt about a foot in front of her then bounces and hits batter in the shin. I award the batter 1st my thought at this age batter didnt have time to react and move out of the way

Okay you can probably see the problem coming some Dad from team A start hollering through the fence that I am cheating their team for not awarding team A 1st as I did team B. I inform the fan that I do not discuss game situation with the fans that he needed to go through his team coach. Well between innings Team A coach comes a griping about the situation which I tried to explain the coach the rule and the differences on the call. He didnt get it

Anyway my question is at this age group is it reasonable to expect a batter to move or do you just award anytime the batter is contacted with a pitched ball??

Thanks

Don
Rookie Blue again
Don
In your 1st & 2nd scenario, *Great Calls*. With just about any
age group, a ball that hits the ground 4' or less before it
reaches the plate, as a batter it is hard to determine which
direction the *little criter* [ball] will bounce. At 10U age group,
a ball that hits 10' in front of the plate, a batter has reaction time
normally. It is those 60MPH comets that are hard to dodge
at any age level or anytime they hit the ground.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Tue May 07, 2002, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Thanks guys

Let you in on a little secret that nxtblue(Gary) doesnt know yet. That he will have the partner from hell tonight (me). Hopefully he will still at least talk to me on the forums at least after tonight

Catch you all later

Don
Old Tue May 07, 2002, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Don,

Sorry, but I am not scheduled to call tonight. Harley said he scheduled someone else in my slot. I would have liked to call with you - at least once this season!

Today is my daughter's 17th birthday, so I'm doing the family thing tonight.

Gary
Old Tue May 07, 2002, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Gary

Yep I found that out when I made it to the ballpark. They told me you werent coming it was your DD B-day and 10min before game time I had no partner so I went ahead and suited up for plate then partner shows up out we go to the field and the Home team only has 6 players so NO-GAME all dressed up and nothing to do thing. Stayed around a while and watched then came home

Will hopefully hook up with you on some games later this year

Don
Old Wed May 08, 2002, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Don,

At least you didn't get nailed with a good pitch because the catcher had no clue how to catch! I'm hoping you can get in on some of the better tournaments later this spring. It's really easier to call higher caliber games than the rec games.

Have you given any consideration to calling with Christy Allen in some of her tournaments?

Gary
Old Wed May 08, 2002, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Yeah Gary I will probably try to get some work in on those tournaments later this year. I would like to get at least a little more work in so I can get a little more comfortable behind the plate with the younger age groups and league play. I will probably see Christy in a couple of weeks we have a SPA SP tournament which the same group of guys do these too and I will try to talk to her some then

Have a good week

Don
Old Wed May 08, 2002, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Don........gonna give you a slightly different track than some of the others have told you.....

In 10U ball.......unless the batter swings at the pitch (or is hit in the SZ).....or you are convinced that they purposly got hit.......send them to 1st.....

Many of the 9 yo's in this league have seen very little live pitching......and sometimes are just so scared they freeze in the box......what may look like "not avoiding"....may just be fear.......

Give em' first......

Joel

Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

I called one behind the plate in november,10u,youre not gonna believe this but they had her on the juggs gun at 65 mph! she was all over the place! the catcher was terrified and wanted no part of catching that fastball! i had full equipment on,and she still managed to hit me where there was no pads more than a dozen times! That was a tough game!that lil gal kicked my butt!
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger Bridges
I called one behind the plate in november,10u,youre not gonna believe this but they had her on the juggs gun at 65 mph! she was all over the place! the catcher was terrified and wanted no part of catching that fastball! i had full equipment on,and she still managed to hit me where there was no pads more than a dozen times! That was a tough game!that lil gal kicked my butt!
Either the radar needed to be calibrated, or it was set up for baseball, or both. In all of my years of doing FP, I have yet to see a 10 year old who could hit 50 MPH, not to mention 65 (This is with the primarily "select" pitchers as well). Most college pitchers are lucky if they can throw 65.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

WOW,

I have never called a game where any pitcher was throwing
at 65. Very Very few do. That gal got a future, or her
DAD has a defective jugs gun. I will take the latter.
--Mark Twain.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

You may very well be right on the calibration,im not sure,but to say the very least,SHE WAS BRINGING IT! When i saw her warming up i was totally amazed.She was only about 5ft 2,maybe 130 pounds. The 1st time i got hit was on the left forearm,felt more like a bullet than a softbaall! The catcher didnt even touch it! I cant say for sure she was throwing 65,but i can say she was throwing as hard as any 16 year old i have seen.
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Question

Roger,

Where you from? profile does not mention it.

I am in Texas.
--Mark Twain.