The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA 2009 Rule Changes

The rule changes for the 2009 season have been posted here. Seems we are going to have even more lines on the field to appease the coaches.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Thought this was odd:

Offensive Conference.
Rule 6.11.2.(new)2 When the catcher requests time to speak to the pitcher, baserunners may not abandon the vicinity of their bases without it being a charged offensive conference. Note: if either team is charged with a conference, baserunners are no longer restricted to the area near their bases.
Rationale: Often the catcher runs out to give the pitcher a short message but because baserunners and base coaches all huddle, they delay the game and get what turns out to be a free conference, since none is charged. Change will help manage the game, and it eliminates the opportunity for a trick play.

Could the pitcher and catcher be dreaming up a "trick play". Why not let the baserunners meet with other baserunners privately? This seems like a stupid rule addition.

I never had a big delay when the catcher went out and talked to pitcher and runners went to the coach. When catcher started back I told OC let's play and they have always gotten back, well before we were all at the plate and ready to go.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

While the purpose of the pitcher's lane is commendable, I think it is going to cause more problems than it is worth. Just gives the coach one more point to whine about during the game. Depending on how much weight is given to making that call, it could really screw with some umpire's trying to see the lane and watch the pitch at the same time.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962

Could the pitcher and catcher be dreaming up a "trick play".

No, you still call "time out", the base runners are just not allowed to meet with their coach.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
While the purpose of the pitcher's lane is commendable, I think it is going to cause more problems than it is worth. Just gives the coach one more point to whine about during the game. Depending on how much weight is given to making that call, it could really screw with some umpire's trying to see the lane and watch the pitch at the same time.
I believe most umpires will continue to focus on the pitch, since that is the bread and butter of the game. What is going to happen, of course, is more and more coaches are going to argue that a pitcher with her toe across the line is out of the pitching lane. "Why aren't you calling that blue? That is why we voted to have it added. So we could all see the violations." They won't read the rule, so they won't know the entire foot needs to be outside of the line.

Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNTXUM P
No, you still call "time out", the base runners are just not allowed to meet with their coach.
It is still a coach's rule, and you know it!

Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
It is still a coach's rule, and you know it!
Yes, they are all coaches rules. I was replying to the question of Dholloway1962 asking if the pitcher and catcher were going to try to use this as a trick play. Simply call time when the catcher wants to go talk to the pitcher and there can be no trick play
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Here's one that caught my eye -

Quote:
Helmets.
Rule 3.8.(new)4 (also affects 4.3 Base Coach, Note 2) A student-athlete in a coaching box is required to wear a batting helmet whenever the ball is live from the first pitch of the inning to the last out of the inning.
You can wear all of the jewelry you want, but you better have a batting helmet on in the coaches box!
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNTXUM P
Yes, they are all coaches rules. I was replying to the question of Dholloway1962 asking if the pitcher and catcher were going to try to use this as a trick play. Simply call time when the catcher wants to go talk to the pitcher and there can be no trick play
I wasn't clear in my post...what I meant is that the rule sounds like they are not allowing the runners to meet with each other or the coach to prevent them from coming up with a trick play. Couldn't one reason the cather/pitcher are meeting is that they are coming up with a trick play? Why restrict the runners to the vicinity of their bag during suspension of play? They should be able to meet if play is suspended by the pitcher/catcher.

Reread this part of the rule: baserunners may not abandon the vicinity of their bases without it being a charged offensive conference

So if the runners get together, even without the coach, it is charged.

How about this....If runners call time and confer with each other (no coach involved) and the pitcher/catcher get together is this a charged D conference?

Just seems odd.

Last edited by Dholloway1962; Tue Sep 09, 2008 at 03:31pm.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, I've been a lurker of the forum for sometime now and decided to register.

We all know that this "pitcher's lane" came about because of "mainly" one pitcher, not to say there aren't other's who violate the 24", but there was one in particular who was in violation. I do agree with everyone that this will create a bigger problem than what it is now.

As far as the offensive conference rule not allowing the baserunners to huddle, I didn't see that as a major game delay problem.

This just reminds us that the coach's have almost total control over what goes into the rule book.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

The offensive conference rule was put in specifically for the final (3rd) game of the WCWS, the bottom of the 7th, runner and second and the winning run on third. During a catcher/pitcher conference, R2 confers with the coach in the third base coach's box. Of course, this is the second conference. After the ejection, the TH's will then proceed to state how we should overlook that rule at this point in the game, how we shouldn't decide the game, etc.

For irony's sake, I hope a Pac-10 team is involved.
And we can then get some special commentary from the Game Day crew.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Coaches are responsible for ensuring their players are legally equipped and properly attired to reflect the positive image of the game. Uniforms, accessories and equipment (including batting gloves that must be worn, carried in the hands or put out of sight in pockets) must be worn properly. Exception: Sunglasses may be worn as desired…
Rationale: Adding specifics regarding batter’s gloves puts a previous interpretation into text.

I was not aware batting gloves were such a problem that the fashion police were needed. Jewelry is still fine, though.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
The rule changes for the 2009 season have been posted here. Seems we are going to have even more lines on the field to appease the coaches.

Very discouraging that the NCAA rules committee (coaches) would stoop to such petty BS.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962
Thought this was odd:

Offensive Conference.
Rule 6.11.2.(new)2 When the catcher requests time to speak to the pitcher, baserunners may not abandon the vicinity of their bases without it being a charged offensive conference. Note: if either team is charged with a conference, baserunners are no longer restricted to the area near their bases.
Rationale: Often the catcher runs out to give the pitcher a short message but because baserunners and base coaches all huddle, they delay the game and get what turns out to be a free conference, since none is charged. Change will help manage the game, and it eliminates the opportunity for a trick play.

Could the pitcher and catcher be dreaming up a "trick play". Why not let the baserunners meet with other baserunners privately? This seems like a stupid rule addition.

I never had a big delay when the catcher went out and talked to pitcher and runners went to the coach. When catcher started back I told OC let's play and they have always gotten back, well before we were all at the plate and ready to go.
As are most of the changes, this rule change is to stop one specific team from executing the trick play they already use.

MS (you call the school) catcher says to PU "I am going to talk to my pitcher, and I am NOT requesting time". Catcher and the rest of the infield go the circle, runners assume time and run off base to talk to coach. LBR violation, first runner off is out.

ASA killed this trick years ago, told umpires they MUST call time to avoid the cheap LBR out. NCAA rules committee doesn't want that answer, so instead, they now tell runners they cannot talk to coach when defense huddles. Anyone surprised by that approach doesn't get the NCAA Rules Committee, that every year creates new rules to stop what someone who has graduated violated consistently (10 second Abbott rule last year, this year pitching lane Mowatt rule).

The Mowatt Rule has limited chance of working if they don't tell BU to help with the call; PU still can't watch the foot land and call pitches effectively.
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
The Mowatt Rule has limited chance of working if they don't tell BU to help with the call; PU still can't watch the foot land and call pitches effectively.
Unless the BU is positioned behind 2B, they don't really have a valid view to make such a call especially with runners on base.