The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Question Team USA Softball Loss After Missing Home Plate?

I thought I remembered (or I could be completely making this up) reading an article a while back about Team USA losing a game because on the go-ahead home run, the runner missed home plate and the defense appealed. Does this sound familiar to anyone or am I just delusional and like to make up interesting stories in my head?

-Kyle
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Well, those options are not mutually exclusive, you know!
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleflan
I thought I remembered (or I could be completely making this up) reading an article a while back about Team USA losing a game because on the go-ahead home run, the runner missed home plate and the defense appealed. Does this sound familiar to anyone or am I just delusional and like to make up interesting stories in my head?

-Kyle
I believe you are referring to the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta. Team USA hit a go-ahead homerun (can't remember who the player was) that was appealed by Australia when the USA player missed home plate. Australia came back later in the game and hit a home run for the win. This was the only loss suffered by Team USA at the 1996 Olympics.

At the ASA Stadium in Oklahoma City, there is (or at least used to be) a picture hanging instead the press box (I believe) that shows this picture (again, if my memory servers me right).

Serg
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioJ
I believe you are referring to the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta. Team USA hit a go-ahead homerun (can't remember who the player was) that was appealed by Australia when the USA player missed home plate. Australia came back later in the game and hit a home run for the win. This was the only loss suffered by Team USA at the 1996 Olympics.

At the ASA Stadium in Oklahoma City, there is (or at least used to be) a picture hanging instead the press box (I believe) that shows this picture (again, if my memory servers me right).

Serg
It was during the round robin play. Unless I am "misrembering," her name was Dani Tyler. Fernandez had a perfect game through 8 or 9 innings, then gave up the game winner.
Old Fri Aug 29, 2008, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioJ

Serg
If I remember correctly, the ump who made that call was taking quite a bit of heat both on the feild and in the social lounge or hang out area until a reporter produced the picture or video showing the missed plate.