Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 15, 2008, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

But is he a Smitty?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,404885,00.html
Old Sat Aug 16, 2008, 11:59am
Administrator

I don't know the details but this is one pile of horse manure I would not want to have to shovel into the manure spreader.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Aug 19, 2008, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

So, they made the mistake of honoring this demon...now, they are too stupid to recant?

What a pile of idiots.

Joe In Missouri
Old Tue Aug 19, 2008, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

I have no problem with it.
Old Tue Aug 19, 2008, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

What if Dahmer was a longtime distinguished umpire? Or Son of Sam? If for no other reason than respect for his victims and their families they should have refrained from giving this subhuman opiece of garbage an award.

Are you out of your freaking mind?

If he was the all time top salesman for State Farm or Toyota, he sure would not be getting an award.

Joe in Missouri
Old Tue Aug 19, 2008, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I found this

They are still dolts but, at least they got embarrassed enough to take away the award.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nati...ry/648244.html
Old Tue Aug 19, 2008, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

He may very well have deserved the award for his accomplishments in umpiring, but the association must be complete dunderheads in the PR department to actually make the award.
Old Tue Aug 19, 2008, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Not only were they dumb...they lack a moral compass. Who gives a rat's patoot if he was a good umpire? It is not relevant. What would cause someone to give this louse an award?
Old Wed Aug 20, 2008, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn
They are still dolts but, at least they got embarrassed enough to take away the award.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nati...ry/648244.html
Cowards
Old Wed Aug 20, 2008, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

What if the guy had also murdered the kids he molested? Still give him the award?

In Wisconsin in 1973, a fiend raped and murdered a 9-year-old girl who was trick-or-treating in his neighborhood. After he was released in 1998 (though a psychiatrist testified that he was still dangerous), he sued a company that refused to hire him. Even though the company had a record of hiring ex-cons, they drew the line at child rapist-murderers. The fiend won the case, and the company had to pay him damages. (He never had to pay damages to the family of the little girl, though.)

Suppose that guy had been a terrific umpire before he committed his indiscretion. Just a bang-up model of judgment, mechanics, rules knowledge, game management, professionalism, etc. How many of you would welcome that guy into your umpires' association? How many of you would do a 10u girls' game with him?

Last edited by greymule; Wed Aug 20, 2008 at 09:31am.
Old Wed Aug 20, 2008, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Look, what the guy did was despicable, no argument from me.

However, we are not part of that group. We did not experience living and working with this individual for 30 years. Those who did had no idea and many could not believe it when he was arrested. How many of us have had a relative, neighbor, friend, priest/rabbi/minister/spiritual conselarl or acquaintence who have gotten into trouble and couldn't believe it?

Do you delete all memory of what good that individual may have done for you or others? If they gave you something you hold dear, do you discard it? If that individual built your house, are you going to move out and burn it to the ground?

This man stopped umpiring. Ever try thinking he realized he had a problem and removed himself from the situation about which everyone is now upset? From what I have read, this guy made no attempt to fight any accusations or penalties.

You know, people screw up and do things many of us would never contemplate. Do you know this person has not made ammends or changed? Did you know this man prior to his sins? Do you know this man since being released from jail? Are you that pure to judge others? Seems to me this guy will get his due, sooner or later. As far as his time on earth, he is still doing his time.

This was a private organization with an award which they sponsored. As reported, it wasn't an e-board or a committee, but the entire membership group which determined the man's past performance on the field and the baseball community. Who the hell are you or I to tell them how to run their organization?

If the people of Torrington, CT want to discard this group because of their action, that is their business, no one else's. If these people are dumb enough to think, "well, they rescinded the award, so I guess it is okay to have them now", they are not too smart. The umpire group did not change their opinion of the man, but reacted to bad press. I would be more impressed with them if they stuck by their guns and lost their contract and lived with it. Apparently, they thought it was worth it when the announced the award admittedly knowing it was going to create a controversy.

Meanwhile, where are all these people who insist this nation and its laws were built upon Christian ideals? Seems to me there are a helluva lot of "christians" in lapel pins and finances only providing a load of lip service, but not willing to live by the crap they shovel upon us heathens.

JMHO
Old Wed Aug 20, 2008, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
...Meanwhile, where are all these people who insist this nation and its laws were built upon Christian ideals? Seems to me there are a helluva lot of "christians" in lapel pins and finances only providing a load of lip service, but not willing to live by the crap they shovel upon us heathens...
What Christian ideal was violated in this incident?
Old Wed Aug 20, 2008, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
rash judgment, blasphemy, tolerance, forgiveness,....you can take your pick and I'm sure someone is going to come up with some bible quotes about eye for an eye, etc., but then again, it only comes down to what one chooses to believe or which portions they choose to honor and which ones to ignore.

You can have the bible and, for that matter, any church. To each, their own which was somewhat of the point of my post. And for those trying to make personal implications of how "I" would react, that is not my issue.
Old Wed Aug 20, 2008, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Turn the other cheek.

Judge not, lest ye be judged.

If thine eye offended thee, wouldst thou pluck it out?
Old Wed Aug 20, 2008, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Like everything, context is the issue. It is easy to "proof-text" with the Bible and prove just about anything. This is not a Bible forum, but each of the examples above are shallowly given to attempt to prove something that is not in the context of the total lesson from the passage.

Nowhere does the Bible teach that someone who commits a crime is to be forgiven of the consequences of that crime. The Biblical principle of forgiveness is between the person who is wronged and the one who committed the wrong, but it does not remove the consequences if the wrong is also a crime.

The Bible also teaches the responsibility of parents to protect and guard their children.

And, finally, American society is not a Christian society in the sense that you are trying to demand. Most of American society operates by, at best, agnostic principles. Certainly, general public opinion fanned on by media outlets cannot be described as remotely Christian.