The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Could it hurt in the long run ???

Don't get me wrong, I am rooting for the US Softball to win the gold medal, but, in the long run, could it hurt Olympic Softball in the future??

Even in an ESPN article about the thumping the US gave Venz. it mentions how complete dominance by the US team will only hurt getting softball reinstated into future olympics.

So here is for hoping for a gold medal, but a close competition !!!!!

Any thoughts????
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Typical rantings from the hate America crowd. It will get re-instated if the USA rep actually votes this time.

Thanks, Mr. Easton.

Why,again, does anyone in softball buy his products?
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Getting reinstated

The only way softball gets reinstated is for fans to let GE/NBC and Coca Cola that we won't watch the 2012 olympics without softball. I have no understanding whatsoever as to why ASA Softball, who screwed this up beyond belief, continues to try to be a good guy with a scumbag like the Belgium Frog.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

It won't be reinstated for 2012. That is a done deal. The next opportunity is for the 2016 olympics.

I agree with the scumbag comment, but, again, if Easton had voted, softball would still be in the olympics.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Not dead yet.

Perhaps you should talk to Spy. It's not dead yet. Despite all the give it up talk of you ASA supporters.

As of today, not one ASA person has challenged the money behind the olympics, that is GE/NBC and Coke, regarding their throwing out softball. If you disagree, perhaps you could post some defense of ASA.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJW
The only way softball gets reinstated is for fans to let GE/NBC and Coca Cola that we won't watch the 2012 olympics without softball. I have no understanding whatsoever as to why ASA Softball, who screwed this up beyond belief, continues to try to be a good guy with a scumbag like the Belgium Frog.
You are correct, you have no understanding.

ASA spent more money and time promoting, marketing, lobbying, shmoozing and kissing *** than any other organization in the world and I'm not just talking softball. This was even a subject of conversation during the NCAA broadcasts with some of the present and past Team USA members on how much they courted IOC members' vote. Even since then, ASA is still busting their hump wooing the folks who they believe can be influential in getting the game of softball back on the schedule for 2016. Strickly hearsay, but I have heard that Rogge has openly showed his disdain of some of the women's sports in the past. I'm sure that hasn't helped, if true.

If you want someone to blame, talk to Jim Easton. The vote shouldn't have been that close as the preliminary polls showed there was about 30% more votes in pocket than needed. Obviously, you cannot trust some of you allies including countries which are members of the ISF. However, USA's vote WOULD have made the difference and Mr. Easton was not informed by the chair (Rogge) that his vote would be a conflict of interest which is supposedly the customery procedure in IOC meetings.

Nonetheless, many of the IOC members admitted they knew nothing about the sport and had no idea softball wasn't baseball. Those same members openly stated that they would not embarass themselves by approving a request by the ISF to submit an appeal for another vote.

These "people" only give a damn about their social standing and have very delicate egos which usually doesn't go very well with American arrogance.

Getting the sponsors to pull would be a great idea, but the softball world is only a drop in the bucket and wouldn't carry enough weight to even make them consider such a move.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Spy, now there's a ligitimate source for understanding the internal politics of the IOC.

We don't have softball in the 2012 olymipcs because of one man's choice to abstain rather than vote.

You can spit into the wind all you want to, but it won't change that.

The IOC already voted on whether to re-instate for 2012, and decided they would look foolish if they voted softball out and then nearly immediately voted it back in. The irony of that rationale completely escaped them.

Last edited by Dakota; Tue Aug 12, 2008 at 04:00pm.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Why,again, does anyone in softball buy his products?
So the umpires would have plenty of equipment to throw out in this year's nationals?
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

I heard another no hitter, fell asleep in 3rd, and I was like Sh*t.

I really think the way for softball back in is baseball. I knew they cut softball the day they did it, but maybe it was me, but I did not realize they also cut baseball.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorman75
I heard another no hitter, fell asleep in 3rd, and I was like Sh*t.

I really think the way for softball back in is baseball. I knew they cut softball the day they did it, but maybe it was me, but I did not realize they also cut baseball.
Wrong! Baseball is one of the main reasons softball was cut.

Baseball will never come back to the Olympics as the owners will not interrupt their season for the games, the player's union will not allow the drug testing and the IOC will not let the sport back in if the MLB will not offer their players to be included.

Now, if the IOC would kindly go back to it's amateur status, this wouldn't even be an issue.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

The very idea that the issue is raised... i.e. that if the USA wants softball back into the Olympics, their team should take a dive... shows how morally bankrupt the entire IOC is.

The only thing surprising about the skating judging scandal a couple of Olympics ago was that they were caught. After decades of judging corruption, you'd have thought they would have known how to do it. IMO, no athlete who wins a judged event should be even on the same level as athletes who win a true sport competition - against the other team, the other opponent, or the clock. The corruption that begins with the Belgian Frog permeates all the way thoughout the organization, especially including the judges.

But, hey, at least the Chinese have won the (ahem) "women's" gymnastics competition with their top elementary and middle school team.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Hey Tom,

I hope you are not saying that making this topic infers that I want the US to take a "dive." That was never my intention, idea or suggestion. The very thought never crossed my mind.

I was simply putting out there that one of the reason (I have heard) that softball was taken because of US dominance, and continued poundings would further give justice to their decision in the long run.

I did hear a talking head make a good point last night (I know unbelievable). They said that the rules that went into effect in 2002 put the other countries at a disadvantage as they only had 2 years prior to Athens to adjust, as where the US had been playing these rules all along in the NCAA. Now they have had six years with the new rules and games should be more competitive.

Again, Tom, please do not think I want the US to take a dive by any means.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN ASA BLUE
Hey Tom,

I hope you are not saying that making this topic infers that I want the US to take a "dive." ...
The thought never crossed my mind. I was referring to those in the media who suggest that the USA needs to lose a few games for the sport to have a chance to get back into the Olympics. It illustrates how little they regard the IOC. I happen to agree that the IOC is morally bankrupt, and that this question even comes up is evidence of that.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
The thought never crossed my mind. I was referring to those in the media who suggest that the USA needs to lose a few games for the sport to have a chance to get back into the Olympics. It illustrates how little they regard the IOC. I happen to agree that the IOC is morally bankrupt, and that this question even comes up is evidence of that.
The problem is that the ONLY people raising such a question is the US media. Of course, these are the same idiots trying to make a big deal about a lip-synced song (not unusual in a large public setting) and digitally enhanced graphics that were intentionally added to and publicly ANNOUNCED during a TV broadcast.

The media in this country deserves neither respect or recognition as anything more that gossip mongers. These people have no idea what is real news and what is BS.