The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 10, 2008, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Check Swing Mechanic

A mechanic I do not understand.

In a check swing situation, the mechanic is to point with the right hand for a left-handed batter and the left hand for a right-handed batter.

Why? It is not like the mechanic to hold the pitcher so the signal is in the open for all to see as it is just the opposite. This mechanic actually places the signal between the catcher and the batter. Since this isn't an issue of visibility, why would an umpire be asked to point with the right hand?

Since I was a young pup, I was always taught to not point with the right hand as it could be confused for another signal. Granted, I started in baseball where a "point" could be anything from a strike to an out to the direction of 1B. So ingrained is this train of thought, I have a hard time raising my right hand to indicate an IFF.

Any other thoughts on this mechanic?
Old Sun Aug 10, 2008, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

don't understand it either. I also don't like the one word "swing" question. I also feel like answering, only if my wife would let me. What is wrong with saying "did she go"?
Old Sun Aug 10, 2008, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
A mechanic I do not understand.

In a check swing situation, the mechanic is to point with the right hand for a left-handed batter and the left hand for a right-handed batter.

Why? It is not like the mechanic to hold the pitcher so the signal is in the open for all to see as it is just the opposite. This mechanic actually places the signal between the catcher and the batter. Since this isn't an issue of visibility, why would an umpire be asked to point with the right hand?

Since I was a young pup, I was always taught to not point with the right hand as it could be confused for another signal. Granted, I started in baseball where a "point" could be anything from a strike to an out to the direction of 1B. So ingrained is this train of thought, I have a hard time raising my right hand to indicate an IFF.

Any other thoughts on this mechanic?
Mike, I don't read the mechanic as you stated. I see the manual says when indicating a swing, the plate umpire indicates by pointing with the hand on the open side. That is a message delivered that is best seen by all.

However, when checking a swing to the base umpire, no such directive on pointing exists. Frankly, when you remove the mask with left hand, I see no real option but to point to the base umpire with the right hand.

In re: "swing", the emphasis several years ago was called "Simplify your Game", and urged single word calls, to minimize mistakes. It was suggested that those who call both males and females were safer with a generic call of "Swing?", than to mistakenly say "Did he go?" in a girls' or women's game, or "Did she go" in a men's game. One mechanic, used in all situations, is the mantra.
Old Sun Aug 10, 2008, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Its dumb to have a mechanic that switches around arm to arm.

I'm a creature of habit.. so sometimes I get it correct ..

If I'm trying.. I'll get it most of the time.

Dumb softball mechanic #2,390

But its so low on the list of lame things they force us to do, I never brought it up.
Old Sun Aug 10, 2008, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962
don't understand it either. I also don't like the one word "swing" question. I also feel like answering, only if my wife would let me. What is wrong with saying "did she go"?
She didn't, she was only breathing hard!

Maybe somethings along that line is what is wrong with it.

Sorta like, "Hit her in the box."

"No blue, on the ankle."

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Aug 10, 2008, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962
I'm pretty sure "swing" was last year.

We are allowed to say "did she go" this year. I always say that and never got dinged.

Last year was the big "one word" command/question type deal.

"swing?" "ball?" etc.
Old Sun Aug 10, 2008, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

I take the mask off with my left hand, take a step toward the appropriate base partner, and use the one word "swing" - usually preceded by the partner's name. I can't imaginge pointing to a partner with my mask hand.
Old Sun Aug 10, 2008, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry for the lack of clarification. I am referring only to indicating that the batter DID swing at the ball.

Page 187 of this year's ASA book in the fourth paragraph under Check Swing Situations it states the umpire is to indicate a swing by "pointing at the batter with the left hand for right handed batters or the right hand for left handed batters".

As previously stated, I do not understand the purpose or, for that matter, why there is even a concern to make this a given mechanic.

Seems to me, common sense would be that if you are executing a signal with the right hand, you point with the left. Does anyone have an umpire edition 2003 rule book? I would like to see if this was in the manual that year.
Old Mon Aug 11, 2008, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

OK, I have jokes.....

I normally have to use my partners name instead to "swing". You know to wake them up first.....

How can you use your left hand to point? I am texting with it.....

How much of our dues went to the meeting to decide which hand you point to your partner with on a check swing? (no punch line)

I always point with my right, since my left arm normally had ice on it because the catcher can not catch anything inside.

In truth, I will go for help right away, so I am coming out of the slot asking for help. So I do not use my opposite hand because I might hit the catcher doing that. But now I have something else to work on. Because you know it is going to pop in my head the next time I ask for help.
Old Mon Aug 11, 2008, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorman75
OK, I have jokes.....

I normally have to use my partners name instead to "swing". You know to wake them up first.....

How can you use your left hand to point? I am texting with it.....

How much of our dues went to the meeting to decide which hand you point to your partner with on a check swing? (no punch line)

I always point with my right, since my left arm normally had ice on it because the catcher can not catch anything inside.

In truth, I will go for help right away, so I am coming out of the slot asking for help. So I do not use my opposite hand because I might hit the catcher doing that. But now I have something else to work on. Because you know it is going to pop in my head the next time I ask for help.
Nice.

Now, read the manual and my post again. You DO NOT use the opposite hand when asking for help. You use the hand not holding the mask, your right hand, regardless where the batter is.

Mike's response clarified he is talking about when you point at the batter and declare "Swing!". In that case ONLY, the manual tells you to use the hand on the open side, as 1) your mask is still on, not in either hand, and 2) you might as well point with the hand everyone will see, not the one that is behind the batter (from the perspective of part of the defense).
Old Mon Aug 11, 2008, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
I take the mask off with my left hand, take a step toward the appropriate base partner, and use the one word "swing" - usually preceded by the partner's name. I can't imaginge pointing to a partner with my mask hand.
Almost identical to what I do, except instead of using my partner's name, I usually just say "partner" before the question "swing?"

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Aug 11, 2008, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Is that followed with a do-si-do?
Old Mon Aug 11, 2008, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

correct me if I am wrong but is this referring to the ASA Mechanic?

if it is this makes no sense. I know in NCAA your supposed to take your mask off with your left hand get from behind the catcher to where its highly visible and ask the question of swing however your supposed to phrase it. I usually make very good eye contact with my partner so that they know I am comming to them for the check swing and arent caught off gaurd then I will ask the question of "swing?" I have also been told that it is ok to say "do you have a swing?" pr something to that effect. thats in reference to NCAA. PONY that is also accepted. and if it isnt I am sure my local UIC will see this and correct me.

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Mon Aug 11, 2008, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Okay, my opinion of the IQ level of this board's residents has really plummeted. Even after clarification, there are folks going in the other direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
Mike's response clarified he is talking about when you point at the batter and declare "Swing!". In that case ONLY, the manual tells you to use the hand on the open side, as 1) your mask is still on, not in either hand, and 2) you might as well point with the hand everyone will see, not the one that is behind the batter (from the perspective of part of the defense).
Actually, Steve, the manual states just the opposite. It says LH for a RH batter. And unless the catcher stands and moves away from her position, is there really an "open side" when you are in the slot?

I just think (personal opinion) pointing with the RH and continuing through with a signal just looks goofy no matter which side of the plate the batter is standing.
Old Mon Aug 11, 2008, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Personally, when the batter checks and I determine a swing, I point with the left, give a verbal of "yes!", stand, and make the hammer with my right. I don't change my point if it's a LHB or a RHB. (Perhaps I should?)

Mike, I'm curious why you're interested in this... did you have a SP batter who checked his swing?