The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Missed base - what to do, what to do? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/46798-missed-base-what-do-what-do.html)

Rich Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linknblue
Just to clear thing up a bit. I was plate umpire, partner was bases. Our agreement at pregame was he'd take 1st and 2nd and I'd take 3b and home. If I got stuck at 3b he'd back me up at home.

Live and learn I guess.

The live and learn part is that an agreement like this made in 5 seconds does not replace proper 2-person mechanics nor does it alleviate the need for a pregame with your partner.

Oh, and you shouldn't have asked on the tag play. Make the call and get back in position. Of course, I will never understand why a BU needs help at third with a single BR. On the 90' diamond, the BU takes that call (using pro or college mechanics).

IRISHMAFIA Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN
Oh, and you shouldn't have asked on the tag play. Make the call and get back in position. Of course, I will never understand why a BU needs help at third with a single BR. On the 90' diamond, the BU takes that call (using pro or college mechanics).

Don't start with that BB crap here!!! :D Just kidding, Rich.

However, you are correct, the BU should have no problem getting into position to cover 3B with a BR. For that matter, s/he should be nearly halfway there by the time the BR rounds 1B.

Rich Thu Jul 31, 2008 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Don't start with that BB crap here!!! :D Just kidding, Rich.

However, you are correct, the BU should have no problem getting into position to cover 3B with a BR. For that matter, s/he should be nearly halfway there by the time the BR rounds 1B.

I do not know softball mechanics, but I can't imagine softball would want the PU covering third AND the BU rotating home on a ball where U1 didn't go out.

CecilOne Thu Jul 31, 2008 02:04pm

Quote:

I do not know softball mechanics, but I can't imagine softball would want the PU covering third AND the BU rotating home on a ball where U1 didn't go out.

Correct for two-ump, but there are some who do it. Really wonderful when you work with someone from another area/group and each of you are used to different mechanics.

Steve M Thu Jul 31, 2008 04:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linknblue
Just to clear thing up a bit. I was plate umpire, partner was bases. Our agreement at pregame was he'd take 1st and 2nd and I'd take 3b and home. If I got stuck at 3b he'd back me up at home.

How the devil can you not cover Home and 3B? I can see not being able to get to 3B when you've already a runner coming in from 3B. Get off your lazy butt and cover your areas of responsibility!

I agree with Rich & the others - you should have gotten into the right position to make your call at 3B - and not have gone for help on that play. Do it the right way and you avoid the CF that followed.

snorman75 Thu Jul 31, 2008 05:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMan
Who is this 'you?' Link aint calling the missed base, because he didn't see it, the BU did. That's HIS call.

..and HIS s**tstorm. The only one taking a beating here on the missed base is the BU...and he earned it.

Umpires own their calls, and defend their own calls.

???

I guess "I" missed what "you" are generally saying. Since I agree, with you, or is it me, or him.

And you, that being yourself, do not think you, again yourself, are not going to hear it too, this too being for also, not two, or 2, or to.

Thank "you"

:D

snorman75 Thu Jul 31, 2008 05:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poosey
I bet your divorced, LMan. When your partner is a mess, you still back him...until the game is over. Then you either clear the air or refuse to work with him again. Of course, this includes that your own **** doesn't stink out there. You're married to your partner until the game is over or he dies on the field.

amen

snorman75 Thu Jul 31, 2008 05:57pm

Like you have never missed one???

Why all the hate? There are posts saying get in position, how did you miss that play?

Well I have missed a tag standing 4 feet away, it happens, and I am sure it will happen again.

I know the swipe tag on a runner on third when you are the PU coming up the line is a AWFUL call to make. I will ask the BU for help on that with no reservations.

I also hate the BU rotating home and I do not use it.

Rich Thu Jul 31, 2008 09:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snorman75
Why all the hate? There are posts saying get in position, how did you miss that play?

Well I have missed a tag standing 4 feet away, it happens, and I am sure it will happen again.

I know the swipe tag on a runner on third when you are the PU coming up the line is a AWFUL call to make. I will ask the BU for help on that with no reservations.

I also hate the BU rotating home and I do not use it.

Get in position and make the call. The call is not "awful" if you let the throw take you to the right position.

I would never ask a partner for help on this one. I can't imagine an umpire actually doing this, to be honest.

LMan Fri Aug 01, 2008 08:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by snorman75
amen

Nah, 36 years and counting. :) I shouldn't even humor fitty here, but...

'backing your partner' has nothing to do with jumping in and defending his initial call to a rat. If there's a banger at 1B and the HC runs out to fuss at BU, do you as PU sprint down the 1B line to interpose yourself before the HC even gets there?

Hell no. You let your BU take care of business. Now, if it gets ugly, or the HC is ejected or if his minions show up, sure you move up there and peel off the flotsam and/or guide the ejected one out of the scene. But you aint there being your BU's lawyer while the initial call is discussed. This is like Ump 101.

Now, here, the PU is watching the tag at 3B (and missing it, but thats another story)...then the BU makes a call on a missed base the PU never saw. The HC gets upset about the missed base call, which the BU hosed by yakking about it loudly.

That's the BU's mess, and he gets the first crack at fixing it. It would be more embarrassing to try and 'save' him from it. But then, you know all this.... :rolleyes: You are free to continue with the armchair psychology, though :D

LMan Fri Aug 01, 2008 08:40am

Quote:

Get in position and make the call. The call is not "awful" if you let the throw take you to the right position.

I would never ask a partner for help on this one. I can't imagine an umpire actually doing this, to be honest.

"amen." If yall want to shadowbox on the forum, yall need to pick a more defensible scenario than this one.

Dholloway1962 Fri Aug 01, 2008 08:45am

Moral of this whole scenario/story........Let the BU take the single runner into 3B. Then there isn't an issue at all.

snorman75 Fri Aug 01, 2008 08:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dholloway1962
Moral of this whole scenario/story........Let the BU take the single runner into 3B. Then there isn't an issue at all.

Preach it.

snorman75 Fri Aug 01, 2008 09:03am

Quote:

I will ask for help on this play almost every time at third:

2 man crew, less then 2 outs, runner on second.

Ball to short stop, looks runner back, makes play to first, BU's call. Runner takes off to third, as PU I am taking the play at third. the throw draws the third baseman in and toward second. They make a swipe tag, and I as PU do not see any contact. Unless you are super man and you are standing at third looking down the base line to second, which you then left your part hanging on the pulled foot at first. Why not ask your part if they had a tag. Since they should be standing what? 10-15 feet behind the pitchers mound with a perfect angle on the swipe tag.

snorman75 Fri Aug 01, 2008 09:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMan
Nah, 36 years and counting. :) I shouldn't even humor fitty here, but...

'backing your partner' has nothing to do with jumping in and defending his initial call to a rat. If there's a banger at 1B and the HC runs out to fuss at BU, do you as PU sprint down the 1B line to interpose yourself before the HC even gets there?

Hell no. You let your BU take care of business. Now, if it gets ugly, or the HC is ejected or if his minions show up, sure you move up there and peel off the flotsam and/or guide the ejected one out of the scene. But you aint there being your BU's lawyer while the initial call is discussed. This is like Ump 101.

Now, here, the PU is watching the tag at 3B (and missing it, but thats another story)...then the BU makes a call on a missed base the PU never saw. The HC gets upset about the missed base call, which the BU hosed by yakking about it loudly.

That's the BU's mess, and he gets the first crack at fixing it. It would be more embarrassing to try and 'save' him from it. But then, you know all this.... :rolleyes: You are free to continue with the armchair psychology, though :D

I am not going to save him, but I will not help hang him either. You know a partners silence or even were they are standing in a situation like this says more then words most times.