The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 18, 2008, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962
In ASA I don't believe there is a dead ball return runner. ASA requires an out on an interference call. Some of the other organizations allow you to return a runner if there isn't a "play", but not ASA.
ASA does not require an out to be called on a blocked ball by the offense. There could be an out called if the umpire determines that the ODB did hinder the defense in making a play on the defense.

Quote:
A blocked ball, in this situation, would only pertain to offensive equipment not in the game wouldn't it? Not the on-deck batter.
The ODB is a non-participant at this point and my not, by rule, interfere with the defense's ability to make a play even if in the ODB's designated area.
Old Fri Jul 18, 2008, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
ASA does not require an out to be called on a blocked ball by the offense. There could be an out called if the umpire determines that the ODB did hinder the defense in making a play on the defense.

The ODB is a non-participant at this point and my not, by rule, interfere with the defense's ability to make a play even if in the ODB's designated area.

If this was not the case, then it would be a great weapon for the offensive
team.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Jul 18, 2008, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Ball blocked by offensive equipment

Coach here.

I had a game recently where we are on offense and an errant throw from F4 to F3 hit one of our coaches buckets. Blue* called dead ball runner closest to home is out. I asked why he arbitrarily called the runner out, didn't he have some discretion as to determine if a play was being made on the runner. He said, no, that by rule, runner closest to home is out. He was the UIC so I dropped it.

I think he misapplied the rule.

Rule 8, Sec 5 G When the ball is live and is overthrown or is blocked: 3. If the ball becomes blocked due to offensive equipment not involved in the game. Effect: The ball is dead and runners are returned to the last base touched at the time of the blocked ball. If the blocked ball prevented the defense from making an out, the runner being played on is out.

*Blue. a colloquial term of endearment meant to convey respect to the men and women who keep the playing fields from descending into chaos. (I kinda lifted this from wilkopedia referring to officers.)
Old Fri Jul 18, 2008, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reccer
Coach here.

I had a game recently where we are on offense and an errant throw from F4 to F3 hit one of our coaches buckets. Blue* called dead ball runner closest to home is out. I asked why he arbitrarily called the runner out, didn't he have some discretion as to determine if a play was being made on the runner. He said, no, that by rule, runner closest to home is out. He was the UIC so I dropped it.

Rule 8, Sec 5 G When the ball is live and is overthrown or is blocked: 3. If the ball becomes blocked due to offensive equipment not involved in the game. Effect: The ball is dead and runners are returned to the last base touched at the time of the blocked ball. If the blocked ball prevented the defense from making an out, the runner being played on is out.

*Blue. a colloquial term of endearment meant to convey respect to the men and women who keep the playing fields from descending into chaos. (I kinda lifted this from wilkopedia referring to officers.)
Umpires first mistake was allowing the bucket.
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Jul 18, 2008, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Coach here.

Was the bucket "in play"? If so, dumb move coach. It is purely the umpire's judgment as to whether it is interference or not. Apparently, this umpire judged INT.
Old Fri Jul 18, 2008, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Was the bucket "in play"? If so, dumb move coach. It is purely the umpire's judgment as to whether it is interference or not. Apparently, this umpire judged INT.

Yes he did judge interference. And yes dumb move coach. And now I don't have quite as much "help" on the sidelines as before

But, I believe he should have ruled an out on the runner that in his opinion was being played on. He arbitrarily ruled the runner closest to home out.
Old Fri Jul 18, 2008, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes he did judge interference. And yes dumb move coach. And now I don't have quite as much "help" on the sidelines as before

But, I believe he should have ruled an out on the runner that in his opinion was being played on. He arbitrarily ruled the runner closest to home out.
In most tournaments, now that BUCKET is the coaches "easy chair", around
here, UIC/TD's always have us tell coaches 'NO BUCKETS'. If used anway,
and not immediately caught by the umpire, then we penatlize the maximum.
There is no reason for a bucket on the field.
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Jul 18, 2008, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Similar situation to original post, what would you have called.

Runner on 3rd, wild pitch ricochets off catcher and goes to fence on 1st base side just about on extension of 3rd base line. Batter clears and goes all the way back to the fence on 3rd base side, runner is on dead run to plate. Pitcher comes in to cover plate, catcher gets ball, turns and throws without even looking, completely misses the pitcher and actually hits the batter in the leg clear over at the fence. Throw didnt come within 10' of the plate. For what ever reason I dont understand, the batter reaches down and picks up the ball, almost at the exact instant the runner crossed the plate and tosses ithe ball to the catcher. No other defensive players had come in on the play, so there was absoltely no chance that any play on the runner could have been made.
Old Fri Jul 18, 2008, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Based on the definition of a blocked ball, any offensive player not involved in the game is treated the same as loose offensive equipment which calls for the runner closest to home to be called out should INT be judged.

Rule 7.1.D specifically addresses interference with the defense's opportunity to make an out on a runner. The EFFECT, also, specifically notes that in this circumstance, the runner closest to home be ruled out.
Old Fri Jul 18, 2008, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp
Similar situation to original post, what would you have called.

Runner on 3rd, wild pitch ricochets off catcher and goes to fence on 1st base side just about on extension of 3rd base line. Batter clears and goes all the way back to the fence on 3rd base side, runner is on dead run to plate. Pitcher comes in to cover plate, catcher gets ball, turns and throws without even looking, completely misses the pitcher and actually hits the batter in the leg clear over at the fence. Throw didnt come within 10' of the plate. For what ever reason I dont understand, the batter reaches down and picks up the ball, almost at the exact instant the runner crossed the plate and tosses ithe ball to the catcher. No other defensive players had come in on the play, so there was absoltely no chance that any play on the runner could have been made.
No play, so no interference. Dead ball. Run scores or not depending on timing.
Old Mon Jul 21, 2008, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp
the batter reaches down and picks up the ball, almost at the exact instant the runner crossed the plate and tosses ithe ball to the catcher.
I just wonder whether there was someone there to give CPR to the coach.