The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 27, 2004, 12:20am
We don't rent pigs

Tonight in a scrimmage, 13-14 year old Dixie Boys, we were stealing 3rd. The catcher's throw wound up a wounded duck which went to the shortstop. PU called my runner out because of interference by the batter. When questioned, he said, "He has to give him a throwing lane." I find no such rule. The closest thing I find is 6.06c where the batter,not the runner, is called out, and only then for stepping out of the box, (my batter did not) or "making
any other movement that hinders the catcher at home base."
As to whether he made some "other hindersome movement" I couldn't say, but in any case can the runner be called out or merely sent back. Thanks in advance for any help.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jun 27, 2004, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

I assume that this was a right handed batter. Most people expect the batter to not move when there is a steal of third. The umpire must have called interference because the batter stepped in front of the catcher or hindered him in some other way.

This umpire enforced the rule as if R2 was advancing to home instead of to third. If he is going home and there are less than two outs, the runner would be out. But if he is advancing to third, the batter should be called out, and no runners can advance, they return to bases occupied at time of pitch.
Old Sun Jun 27, 2004, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

This BI rule is screwed up as much as it is called right. I saw a championship playoff game last year with three NCAA umps.

R1 was stealing. Batter swung and missed and fell down over the plate interfering with the catchers throw that didn't go anywhere. They called the RUNNER out and returned the batter, AFTER CONSULTATION. WOW.

The batter is always out on BI with the only exception being, that if an R3 is attempting to score with less than two outs, the runner is out. Never saw that happen and have seen a lot of BI's. So if your confused when it happens, call the batter out and you'll be right 99% of the time. G.

[Edited by Gee on Jun 27th, 2004 at 09:23 AM]
Old Mon Jun 28, 2004, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

AND... If the batter strikes out then interferes with the catcher's throw the runner being played upon is also out.