The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 12, 2008, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

Signals from the coach

simple question..... Is there a rule that prohibits the pitcher from getting the signals from the coach and not the catcher....

(yes, I know the pitcher must pause and get or "simulate" getting signs from the catcher as part of her pitch per some rule sets.)
Thanks in advance.
Old Sat Jul 12, 2008, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Yes. Furthermore, the pitcher is not allowed to ever look in the coach's direction.
Old Sat Jul 12, 2008, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue
simple question..... Is there a rule that prohibits the pitcher from getting the signals from the coach and not the catcher....

(yes, I know the pitcher must pause and get or "simulate" getting signs from the catcher as part of her pitch per some rule sets.)
Thanks in advance.
The pitcher can take her signals from her grandmother selling hot dogs in the concession stand if she wants.
Old Sat Jul 12, 2008, 10:19am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
The pitcher can take her signals from her grandmother selling hot dogs in the concession stand if she wants.

IrishMafia:

You are absolutely correct, as long as she does take a signal or simulate taking a signal from the catcher after engaging the pitcher's plate. The sad part about this rule is that it is the same in baseball and you would be suprised how many baseball umpires will call a balk on a pitcher for taking signals while off the rubber. The pitcher is standing there off the rubber, looks into the cather and BOOM!! Balk!!

Umpires need to remember that the pitching rules do not take effect until the pitcher is in contact with the pitcher's plate.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Jul 12, 2008, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
IrishMafia:

You are absolutely correct, as long as she does take a signal or simulate taking a signal from the catcher after engaging the pitcher's plate. MTD, Sr.
Speaking ASA

Not really. The pitcher can assimilate or take their signal from anyone, there is no mention of the catcher at all in the rule.
Old Sat Jul 12, 2008, 01:29pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Speaking ASA

Not really. The pitcher can assimilate or take their signal from anyone, there is no mention of the catcher at all in the rule.

I stand corrected, but real problem is the far too many umpires that think that taking signals off the pitcher's plate is an IP (softball) or a BALK (baseball) is troubling. Not taking or simulating taking signals while in contact with the pitcher's plate is a quick pitch infraction of the rules which has its own specific penalty.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Jul 12, 2008, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

While BU I take the sign from the coach too. LOL
Old Sat Jul 12, 2008, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

When I played ball, a million years ago, one of the charts we kept on the bench was a sign chart on the other teams' base coach. From this I ahve gotten into (or not out of) the habit of looking at the base coach. About the third inning of any game I am usually clued into when a team has a dteal on and it has been a great help. Of course I can't be certain unless I have a team a number of times in the season.
Old Sun Jul 13, 2008, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm
When I played ball, a million years ago, one of the charts we kept on the bench was a sign chart on the other teams' base coach. From this I ahve gotten into (or not out of) the habit of looking at the base coach. About the third inning of any game I am usually clued into when a team has a dteal on and it has been a great help. Of course I can't be certain unless I have a team a number of times in the season.
Spelling forgiven, that's a great point. (One or three less mega-mug Killians at dinner could resolve the spelling issue.)

Another thing that the BU can do is discreatly talk with the F6 in situations where there are runners at first and third about any plays the defense may have if R2 boogies down to second.
Old Sun Jul 13, 2008, 07:35pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
Spelling forgiven, that's a great point. (One or three less mega-mug Killians at dinner could resolve the spelling issue.)

Another thing that the BU can do is discreatly talk with the F6 in situations where there are runners at first and third about any plays the defense may have if R2 boogies down to second.

MichaelVA2000:

Why are you talking to F6 and what could you possibly be telling him?

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jul 13, 2008, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I hope that is a joke.
Old Sun Jul 13, 2008, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
MichaelVA2000:

Why are you talking to F6 and what could you possibly be telling him?

MTD, Sr.
I wouldn't be telling F6 anything. My question would be about any plays the defense may have if R2 boogies down to second. Sometimes players share the information sometimes they don't.

It's certainly not information I would share with their opponent.
Old Sun Jul 13, 2008, 10:29pm
Administrator

Quote:
I wouldn't be telling F6 anything. My question would be about any plays the defense may have if R2 boogies down to second. Sometimes players share the information sometimes they don't.

It's certainly not information I would share with their opponent.

Michael:

I have spent about six hours in the hot sun today watching my sons' baseball team play a DH, so please forgive me if I don't understand, but were you joking instead of being serious?

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jul 14, 2008, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Not a total joke. When BU I play close to f4. I might ask her "your throw?" So I can plan my path to 2nd on a steal. That is if they are not using basic open close mouth sign.

But ask f6 what a 1st and 3rd play, never. Plus you should be able to figure it out with their first move, if not form the number call. "Run 14" and F6 is #14.

I know when I did slow pitch and was the BU inside I always made sure who had the come backer from the pitched to 2nd.
Old Mon Jul 14, 2008, 04:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Michael:

I have spent about six hours in the hot sun today watching my sons' baseball team play a DH, so please forgive me if I don't understand, but were you joking instead of being serious?

MTD, Sr.
Joking I was just messing with outathm a little bit. We did a tournament together this weekend. My fault for not including the smilies earlier, but I was waiting for some response from him first.