The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 10, 2008, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
That's not what you were talking about and you know it. Here it is again, since you seem to have a rivisionist memory:How about "something weird" like the catcher merely impedes the runner while retrieving the ball?
No the catcher didnt. YOu are inventing something just to have a rule to throw around. This play was good to go. It would be boring to discuss not having a rule. I was trying to help the umpire understand how to REALLY call this play..
not discuss a rule for the sake of it.
Old Thu Jul 10, 2008, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
No the catcher didnt. YOu are inventing something just to have a rule to throw around. This play was good to go. It would be boring to discuss not having a rule. I was trying to help the umpire understand how to REALLY call this play..
not discuss a rule for the sake of it.
Once again, revisionist memory. Here (since you apparently need it) is the OP, with parts highlighted for your consideration:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTQ_Blue
...F2, having gone to her knees to make the initial tag attempt is now on the ground blocking the plate with the ball easily within her reach on the ground. The runner quickly (and smartly) reaches around F2 and touches the plate just before F2 can pick up the ball and tag her. So I have "safe."

I asked my partner after the game if he thought this would be OBS if it were the other way around and F2 had tagged the runner before the touch. He said that is considered a trainwreck and would not have been OBS.
Now, we have F2 blocking the plate, F2 does not have the ball, and R1 must go around (albeit only a reach) to get to the plate. Was this OBS? Don't know. Wasn't there. But, the answer is most certainly NOT to give the call to whoever tags / touches first. The answer is if the runner was impeded, you have OBS regardless of who tags / touches first.
Old Thu Jul 10, 2008, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Once again, revisionist memory. Here (since you apparently need it) is the OP, with parts highlighted for your consideration:
Now, we have F2 blocking the plate, F2 does not have the ball, and R1 must go around (albeit only a reach) to get to the plate. Was this OBS? Don't know. Wasn't there. But, the answer is most certainly NOT to give the call to whoever tags / touches first. The answer is if the runner was impeded, you have OBS regardless of who tags / touches first.
Hey, I said even in that first post if there was something weird you could have OBS.

Were just going around in circles, and I've been down this road already.

There was no obs.. in my view.. so no call.. he who wins wins.

Do you think you are saying something different?

I know I'm not.

OK fine, throw out the arm.. since the runner was safe anyway, and not impeded.. but now you can feel like you had a part in the play, no matter insignificant that part was. No one is gonna argue since shes safe anyway and this was a nice safe call. And you were indeed part of something special and got to enforce some rule when you didnt need to.
Old Thu Jul 10, 2008, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

You really are an a$$. You "misremember" what you say, and you ignore what I say and then try to put words in my mouth. You came onto this board a few years ago with nothing but troll-like posts and you are now back to that behavior. You've done little here the last several weeks but name-call and intentionally try to antagonize people. I don't know what you think you are doing, but you are mainly posting drivel.
Old Thu Jul 10, 2008, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey, I said even in that first post if there was something weird you could have OBS.

I know I'm not.

OK fine, throw out the arm.. since the runner was safe anyway, and not impeded.. but now you can feel like you had a part in the play, no matter insignificant that part was. No one is gonna argue since shes safe anyway and this was a nice safe call. And you were indeed part of something special and got to enforce some rule when you didnt need to.
The runner WAS impeded. Just because she scored does not mean the Catcher was not guilty of Obstruction. I have had a plethora of Obstruction calls that have ended up without a reward. I would think that you have had many of them, as well-unless Home Plate is not your only "whatever happens is ok" area of the field.

Joe in Missouri
Old Thu Jul 10, 2008, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You really are an a$$. You "misremember" what you say, and you ignore what I say and then try to put words in my mouth. You came onto this board a few years ago with nothing but troll-like posts and you are now back to that behavior. You've done little here the last several weeks but name-call and intentionally try to antagonize people. I don't know what you think you are doing, but you are mainly posting drivel.
Stop insulting donkeys!
Old Thu Jul 10, 2008, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn
The runner WAS impeded. Just because she scored does not mean the Catcher was not guilty of Obstruction. I have had a plethora of Obstruction calls that have ended up without a reward. I would think that you have had many of them, as well-unless Home Plate is not your only "whatever happens is ok" area of the field.

Joe in Missouri

The only reason you think the runner was impeded is because you think a catcher blocking the base = runner impeded.

You didnt see obs.
Old Thu Jul 10, 2008, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The only reason you think the runner was impeded is because you think a catcher blocking the base = runner impeded.

You didnt see obs.
No, I did not see anything. I was not there.

If the catcher is blocking the plate without the ball and the runner has to go around her, it is obs. Plain and simple. You know I am right but will continue to argue, anyway.

Joe In Missouri
Old Thu Jul 10, 2008, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Dakota, if you feel that way, why keep encouraging him
Old Fri Jul 11, 2008, 05:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962
Dakota, if you feel that way, why keep encouraging him

he encourages him because everyone on this board supposedly couldnt even carry wades jock strap.... at least thats what he told me after arguing so much in the wrong... I think he has a need to just win arguements so he argues so much until the other side just gives up....even if he is wrong. He makes up rules .... he makes up mechanics... Im just glad I dont have to work and compensate for him... I feel sorry for any who do ...

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Fri Jul 11, 2008, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Signal obs regardless

Quote:

I know I'm not.

We are supposed to signal obstruction whenever we see it no matter if there is an award afterwards or not. Last year it was a POE for high school. At least here in Georgia. We were told umpires weren't signaling the obstruction when they saw it because they felt there wasn't going to be an award. Coaches then starting instructing there players to run at the offensive player to draw the obstruction call. We were informed that if we were doing our job of signaling obs when we see it, regardless if there is going to be an award or not, then the coaches wouldn't be instructed their runners to make contact.
Old Fri Jul 11, 2008, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest
We are supposed to signal obstruction whenever we see it no matter if there is an award afterwards or not. Last year it was a POE for high school. At least here in Georgia. We were told umpires weren't signaling the obstruction when they saw it because they felt there wasn't going to be an award. Coaches then starting instructing there players to run at the offensive player to draw the obstruction call. We were informed that if we were doing our job of signaling obs when we see it, regardless if there is going to be an award or not, then the coaches wouldn't be instructed their runners to make contact.
Of course its the same in ASA. That is exactly what you do. You signal OBS when you have it, even if there will not likely be an award.

I'll type this out slowly, because obviously people are not getting it.

There was no impeding the runner. The runner quickly and smartly touched HP. The runner is up and cheering and leaving yeah!! I score.

Youre standing there. Now you and some others will now call OBS, then say shes safe. "Obstruction safe" Everyone is looking at you like "man we got this dummy again, whats he doing". That is lame. Thats not the call.

I did not see her get impeded, I'm selling safe crowd goes wild 1/2 of everyone everyone is happy.
Old Fri Jul 11, 2008, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu
he encourages him because everyone on this board supposedly couldnt even carry wades jock strap.... at least thats what he told me after arguing so much in the wrong... I think he has a need to just win arguements so he argues so much until the other side just gives up....even if he is wrong. He makes up rules .... he makes up mechanics... Im just glad I dont have to work and compensate for him... I feel sorry for any who do ...
I make up no mechanics or rules ya schmuck. Everything I do on the field is right out of the book.
Old Fri Jul 11, 2008, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

No need to type slowly

Quote:
Of course its the same in ASA. That is exactly what you do. You signal OBS when you have it, even if there will not likely be an award.

I'll type this out slowly, because obviously people are not getting it.

There was no impeding the runner. The runner quickly and smartly touched HP. The runner is up and cheering and leaving yeah!! I score.

Youre standing there. Now you and some others will now call OBS, then say shes safe. "Obstruction safe" Everyone is looking at you like "man we got this dummy again, whats he doing". That is lame. Thats not the call.

I did not see her get impeded, I'm selling safe crowd goes wild 1/2 of everyone everyone is happy.
I understand your point. I was just responding to the "runner was safe anyway" part of your post. I was simple pointing out that we call it when we see it regardless of whether or not we have to award bases or not. That was my only point.
Old Fri Jul 11, 2008, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu
kcg.....cmon.....really?