The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 26, 2008, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Calling an infield fly when it is NOT in effect is a much bigger FUBAR that not calling it when it is in effect.
Obviously, and I'm not hard-over about it, but I don't do it, and don't mirror it.

I try to keep up with the number of outs as well

It's funny that some of the same guys who apparently have trouble remembering/recognizing IFF/no IFF and resort to these unofficial hand signals are the first to say, "Lose the indicator, its just a crutch, keep it all in your head"

Play on....
Old Thu Jun 26, 2008, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
The arm brushing seems most common for "off", but I have begun brushing my upper arm sleeve to be more visible and to avoid getting sweat and sun screen on my hands.
Why not just appear to be whiping the arm, kind of like a pitcher appearing to be whiping her fingers off after she licks them? No need to actually touch the arm, just appear to, from home plate being straight lined you can't tell the difference anyway!
Old Thu Jun 26, 2008, 10:15am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Calling an infield fly when it is NOT in effect is a much bigger FUBAR that not calling it when it is in effect.
Tom,
Whether, or not, You, personally, use the *wipe off*, I find it most difficult imagining you calling *infield fly* when it ain't.
Old Thu Jun 26, 2008, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Tom,
Whether, or not, You, personally, use the *wipe off*, I find it most difficult imagining you calling *infield fly* when it ain't.
While I appreciate your confidence, we are all subject to the occasional brain cramp!

I'm not particularly a proponent of the wipe off, but, a game this past weekend has be thinking about his...

23U tournament championship game. I'm on the bases. PU and I have never worked together before. We've been using the IFF / wipe off signals the whole game.

R1 on 3rd, R2 on 2nd. 1 out. Batter reaches 1B (don't remember how, but no outs on the play and no runs score). PU signals IFF situation. I mirror.

Next batter strikes out. I signal "wipe off"; partner ignores. I think "uh oh." Wild pitch, run scores, leaving runners on 2B and 3B. Partner NOW signals "wipe off." Sheesh... dodged THAT bullet!
Old Thu Jun 26, 2008, 12:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
While I appreciate your confidence, we are all subject to the occasional brain cramp!

I'm not particularly a proponent of the wipe off, but, a game this past weekend has be thinking about his...

23U tournament championship game. I'm on the bases. PU and I have never worked together before. We've been using the IFF / wipe off signals the whole game.

R1 on 3rd, R2 on 2nd. 1 out. Batter reaches 1B (don't remember how, but no outs on the play and no runs score). PU signals IFF situation. I mirror.

Next batter strikes out. I signal "wipe off"; partner ignores. I think "uh oh." Wild pitch, run scores, leaving runners on 2B and 3B. Partner NOW signals "wipe off." Sheesh... dodged THAT bullet!
Ha!
Well, that sitch sorta encourages the act of not using the *wipe off*, methinks.
Old Thu Jun 26, 2008, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Earlier this spring, I was working a high school baseball game with a new umpire. As many of you know, the baseball guys are crazy with all this signalling back and forth stuff.

(Personally, I do like it for the fact that, for the little effort it requires, it keeps us on the same page and, ultimately, does reduce the chance for blown coverages or missed calls. Those seem like good things to me.)

Anyhow, during the game the IFR came up a few times and we were diligently touching the bills of our caps. I was the base umpire and whenever the IFR was off I was brushing my sleeve (it was cold and we had jackets on). This is an approved and accepted mechanic for our local baseball association.

My partner never mirrored the "brush off" back to me a single time. I kind of shrugged it off. Then, after the game, my partner asks me if there was something wrong with my jacket. Huh? "What do you mean?", I ask.

He says, "I kept seeing you wiping off your sleeve and thought you spilled something on yourself or a bird crapped on you or something".

Got a good laugh out of that one- and, of course, explained what the "brush off" signal was supposed to mean.