The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

IFF wipeoff

June 08 issue of Referee Magazine has a softball article about IFF mechanics.

Paraphrase: "When the IFF conditions are no longer in effect, all crew members must "wipe off" the IFF by brushing the forearm of the left arm with the fingers of the right hand.

I'm curious if this is the taught mechanics in softball....I mostly do baseball, and dont recall ever seeing this before....
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

It's not in the ASA book. However, it's one of those hand signals that everyone "knows."

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to 7in60
In Canada, the sign is taught at clinics. Also, the fingers of the right hand are used to show the # of outs (open hand = 0, index finger = 1, index + middle = 2).
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

I learned it in FL in the early 90's doing HS softball and baseball (and rec ball, too). It was a standard one that everyone seemed to know even when I moved up here to the Carolinas in the late 90's.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

We use it in Texas also...

And I've seen umpires brush the bill of their cap as well. But, as was stated previously, it is not in the umpire manual.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
It's not in the ASA book. However, it's one of those hand signals that everyone "knows."
Besides being important for umpires to know whne IFR applies, it is very reassuring to know that your partner is aware of both on and off. The arm brushing seems most common for "off", but I have begun brushing my upper arm sleeve to be more visible and to avoid getting sweat and sun screen on my hands.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
Besides being important for umpires to know whne IFR applies, it is very reassuring to know that your partner is aware of both on and off. The arm brushing seems most common for "off", but I have begun brushing my upper arm sleeve to be more visible and to avoid getting sweat and sun screen on my hands.
Personally, I wish the ASA book would include it. It reinforces good umpire-to-umpire communication. Secondly, there have been times when my partner has given the IFF signal when the IFF rule was not in effect. It helped to have a response to him, saying, "no, it's not in effect, there are two outs, buddy."

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Something funny, I use it working alone. I also signal IFF whiel working alone. Just out of habit.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

I do the same.

Helps me to stay with the game.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

As do I--a memory aid to stay consistent, as all my ASA SP games are 1 umpire games..
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 10:59pm
In Memoriam

I quit using the *wipe off* years ago.
If a partner gives it, I'll mirror, but I just don't like it and I won't initiate it.
Old Thu Jun 26, 2008, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
I quit using the *wipe off* years ago.
If a partner gives it, I'll mirror, but I just don't like it and I won't initiate it.

Thank you.

Is it that hard to look about the diamond and silently note that the preconditions for a IFF are not longer present?
Old Thu Jun 26, 2008, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

No harder than....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
Thank you.

Is it that hard to look about the diamond and silently note that the preconditions for a IFF are not longer present?
No harder than looking around the field and noticing that the preconditions for an IFF are present. The IFF mechanic is just a tool to communicate that IFF is in effect. Its to make sure all umpires are on the same page. The same for wiping it off. You don't have to use it if you don't want to . But arguing not to use it because it is so easy to see it is no longer in effect isn't, IMHO, valid because it is also so easy to see it is in effect and we still have an approved mechanic for that.

Also, sometimes just looking around the field isn't enough. You could have bases loaded and still the IFF is not in effect due to the number of outs.

I like wiping off the IFF. It wouldn't surprise me if it is added to the official mechanics sometime in the future.
Old Thu Jun 26, 2008, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

I had been told by one of our umpires who frequently calls ASA National tournaments to never wipe off the IFF at a National. He apparently got dinged for it, as it's not a mechanic in the book. Then again, neither are adjusting your cup and fanning yourself with your hat, but we do it anyway.

Old Thu Jun 26, 2008, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
...Is it that hard to look about the diamond and silently note that the preconditions for a IFF are not longer present?
Calling an infield fly when it is NOT in effect is a much bigger FUBAR that not calling it when it is in effect.