The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

3 Man Tag Ups -ASA

Gonna be doing alot of 3 umpire games this weekend. So it's a good chance for me to get a little better at this. I'm going over page 228 and some of the info has me a little puzzled. I'm hoping for some clarification here.

R1 at 1B. we have a fly ball that neither ump goes out on. The book says the tag up responsibility is the 1B ump.

So what happens to the 3B ump who started the play in the B slot. Does he just hang around 2B and watch the play ?

It seems to me that you're gonna have 2 umps standing at 2B on this. I'm assuming I'm missing something here.

Feedback please....
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

No you won't

Both base umpires will button hook in. The 3rd base umpire will have started in between first and second off the right shoulder of the 2nd baseman. The first base umpire will button hook into first and the 3rd base umpire will button hook into 2nd. The plate umpire will be moving to get an angle on the catch. Once the ball is caught or if the ball isn't caught, the 1st base umpire should rotate home and the plate umpire move to third.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
Gonna be doing alot of 3 umpire games this weekend. So it's a good chance for me to get a little better at this. I'm going over page 228 and some of the info has me a little puzzled. I'm hoping for some clarification here.

R1 at 1B. we have a fly ball that neither ump goes out on. The book says the tag up responsibility is the 1B ump.

So what happens to the 3B ump who started the play in the B slot. Does he just hang around 2B and watch the play ?

It seems to me that you're gonna have 2 umps standing at 2B on this. I'm assuming I'm missing something here.

Feedback please....
Read page 221...explains it in more detail. U3 stays at 2B and prepares for any plays there. U3 has to be ready to make any call at 1B if U1 goes to cover HP.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest
Both base umpires will button hook in. The 3rd base umpire will have started in between first and second off the right shoulder of the 2nd baseman. The first base umpire will button hook into first and the 3rd base umpire will button hook into 2nd. The plate umpire will be moving to get an angle on the catch. Once the ball is caught or if the ball isn't caught, the 1st base umpire should rotate home and the plate umpire move to third.
Good description. I would love to see it changed, but probably not in my lifetime.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

U1 watches the tag; if the play goes to 2nd, U3 has that play. U1 watches everything that happens at 1st, U3 watches everything that happens at 2nd. PU (if needed) rotates to 3rd, U1 then rotates home.

Just one umpire at 2nd.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The 3rd base umpire will have started in between first and second off the right shoulder of the 2nd baseman.
With a single runner at 1st, U3 has one and only one base; 2nd. U3 does not care where 2B plays; U3 should stand in calling position 10-12 feet from 2nd, in a direct line of the front edge of 2nd and 3rd extended, where the call can be made without "getting into position".

When the ball is hit, U3 can adjust to the angle of a force throw, or buttonhook from that starting position; no reason to be off the shoulder of 2B, as no initial infield play will give U3 calling responsibility anywhere but 2nd.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The 3rd base umpire will have started in between first and second off the right shoulder of the 2nd baseman.
I believe with a runner on 1B only, U3 begins at a point of 3B-2B extended about 12 feet - not off F4's right shoulder.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref

Don't confuse responsibility for the tag up at 1B with responsibility for the play at 2nd (should the runner attempt to advance).
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
I believe with a runner on 1B only, U3 begins at a point of 3B-2B extended about 12 feet - not off F4's right shoulder.
Let's not forget, and I know this would need to be watched more in SP, that you need to be behind the infielders or a direct line between the closest on each side of the umpire.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad
Don't confuse responsibility for the tag up at 1B with responsibility for the play at 2nd (should the runner attempt to advance).
And thats what I did...
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
With a single runner at 1st, U3 has one and only one base; 2nd. U3 does not care where 2B plays; U3 should stand in calling position 10-12 feet from 2nd, in a direct line of the front edge of 2nd and 3rd extended, where the call can be made without "getting into position".

When the ball is hit, U3 can adjust to the angle of a force throw, or buttonhook from that starting position; no reason to be off the shoulder of 2B, as no initial infield play will give U3 calling responsibility anywhere but 2nd.
I stand corrected! Thanks!
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
You are correct sir!
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

So I'm ump at 2B extended. R1 at 1B. We have a fly ball. No one goes out. Runner tags.

If defensive coach appeals, runner leaving early, I am assuming that would be my partners appreal to rule on since partner is responsible for tag ups at 1B ?
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve

Depending on what happens on the play he could be responsible for 1st. If U1rotates home, he is responsible for both 1st and 2nd. But I agree with your main point on where the U3 should be positioned.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

How?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Good description. I would love to see it changed, but probably not in my lifetime.
How would you change it?