The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Pinch running

What are the rules regarding pinch running/subs in a 10U fastpitch open format? Also regarding courtesy runners for pitchers/catchers...Would this type of runner be allowed if already in the lineup, or must she be on the bench? If a runner in the lineup is allowed, what are the specifics (made the last out, etc.)??
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Whose rules?
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

I'm guessing rec league or something since TP is asking about "made last out" for C/R.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 07:47am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPride97
What are the rules regarding pinch running/subs in a 10U fastpitch open format? Also regarding courtesy runners for pitchers/catchers...Would this type of runner be allowed if already in the lineup, or must she be on the bench? If a runner in the lineup is allowed, what are the specifics (made the last out, etc.)??
Help me understand why a 10-year-old would need a courtesy runner ?
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Help me understand why a 10-year-old would need a courtesy runner ?
Well for one, the catchers take 16.5 minutes to get their gear on... and thats with help from the team mom who doesnt know how to put it on either.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 07:52am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Well for one, the catchers take 16.5 minutes to get their gear on... and thats with help from the team mom who doesnt know how to put it on either.
16.5, eh?
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
I'll try answering:
1) Rules for 10&U are the same as other ages in most rule sets
2) If it is not strictly by the book (e.g., possibly rec/in-house, special tournament rules); then any exceptions would be in the rules adopted for that and we can't know
3) Most common rule is never been in the lineup during that game, didn't run for the other position (at least in that inning).

Welcom a(board)

Last edited by CecilOne; Tue Jun 24, 2008 at 09:41am.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As has already been noted, the rules are pretty much the same as they are for all other age divisions. The courtesy runner, by rule (in most rulesets) must be a player who has not been in the game in any other capacity. However, that said, some leagues do allow CR's who have already been in the game, superceding the rule in the book. That would make this a league issue if it is the last out, a player currently on the bench....etc. So, in this case, your question would be better directed at league officials for an accurate answer.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

I was not impolite to ask which rules. LL rules, for one, are different wrt the batting order / subs / CRs, etc.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Hey guys, thanks for the welcome!

Most of the tournaments we play in do not have in house rules specific to pinch running, so I assume they go "by the book." The code is fairly clear in this regards. I suppose my question was more related to if there were different rules for different ages (which was answered.)

Dakota, by the way is right. Not rude at all. That was my mistake. I should have clarified that this was ASA 10U.

Just so I'm clear...
A pinch runner must come off the bench after not being in the game previously. Then do they become a defensive sub?

As for the CR...They must not have been in the game before. Can they return as a CR later in the game under the same circumstances? Essentially I could keep a CR on the bench and have them run all game for my pitcher/catcher??

Thanks again everyone!
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Just a note for you. They can be CR the whole game for either the pitcher or the catcher, but not both. Dave
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Let me take a stab at this group of questions.

There really isn't a pinchrunner; you enter a substitute for a runner on base. That substitute takes the place of the previous player, until and unless you substitute for her (with another sub, or by re-entering the previous player). So, if that previous player played defense (she might not, if you are using the FLEX/DP rule), then the substitute might also play defense; or not, depending on how you choose to use her. But, this is easier to follow if you consider her a substitute, not a pinchrunner, pinchhitter, or defensive sub.

A CR can only run for pitcher OR catcher. Once she runs for one, she cannot run for the other position in that game. So, your logic is fine, but you would need two different CR's to always run for both.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
I was not impolite to ask which rules. LL rules, for one, are different wrt the batting order / subs / CRs, etc.
Not referring to you, but I deleted the comment anyway.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

To add to what Steve said...

The courtesy runner rule allows you to put in a player to run for the pitcher or catcher as a courtesy... the CR is not officially entered into the lineup, and hence has not officially entered the game as a sub, and the pitcher/catcher has not officially left the game. The purpose of the rule is to speed up the game (in the case of the catcher) and to avoid injury (in the case of the pitcher), but most coaches use it more strategically than that (speed on the bases). There are several restrictions on who can be a CR, as noted in the earlier comments.

"Pinch" (as in runner, hitter, etc.) is a common term, but basically it is a standard substitution. Sub1 enters for Starter4 (etc.). The player has officially entered the lineup and is officially in the game, and the player she is replacing has officially left the game.

You need to use the correct term or you may find you have done something you did not intend to do. For example, your catcher (#10) has batted and has reached base. You request time and tell the plate umpire you are entering #12 as a pinch runner for #10. If the umpire does not notice that #10 is the catcher and ask if you really mean pinch runner or courtesy runner and just takes you at your word, you have now entered #12 as a sub for #10, and your starting catcher has left the game.