The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 06, 2004, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Well, they were bound to happen sometime, those third-world plays that never happen.

But did!

They all occurred in two games on the same field in a USSSA 18u select team qualifying tournament, playing modified FED rules.

Firsts in my career:

1. One-run game, runner on third, one out. Batter is hitting left-handed, attempting a safety squeeze. Pitch, bunt, and a miss. Pitch, bunt, and a miss. With the pitcher on the rubber, leaning forward for the sign, the batter hops across to the right-hand batter's box. "He's out!" I exclaim. I've read of it happening to other umpires; that was the first time for me. (You'd think it might happen in 10u. But no!)

2. R3, 0 out, left-handed power hitter at the plate. The pitcher, in the set position, stretches and does not come to a complete stop. "Time. That's a balk!" I scream as the ball heads for the plate. It then heads for the fence in right field and clears it easily for a two-run home run.

Not!

FED rules: Tony had to return to hit again, and the runner from third scored. A balk is a dead ball in FED only. That was one of the rules the coaches had voted to keep.

The coach for the offense argued vehemently the pitcher did not balk. The defensive skipper was equally passionate: "Carl, of course he balked. He's been balking all summer long." (5 days!?)

Any rule that leads the offending team to claim they offended and the offended team to claim they did not is a bad rule.

Now, the two coaches didn't argue. But I've written this scenario so often, they might as well have. In my mind, they did.

For just a moment.

Tony's at bat reads: 1 ball, no pitch (balk home run), 1 strike, 390-foot home run! The kid homered twice in the same at-bat. As they say in West Side Story: "Smoke on your pipe and put that in."

3. R3. Suicide squeeze. B1 doesn't bunt but rips the ball. It nearly takes off the right arm of the runner who's about 25 feet from home. He's hit in fair territory. So I scream: "Time! Dead ball!"

Modified FED rules, and this is one of the modifications. The USSSA rules do not permit the batter to "swing" during a squeeze or steal of home.

That rule is in effect for the tournament. (Pool play today, bat-off tomorrow.) Therefore: The batter is out and ejected. R3 returns to third.

In the nationals, the head coach would also be ejected, but the TD had ruled in advance that if the play happened (it had never happened to me before today), we were NOT to eject the head coach.

4. Finally -- and most startling of all:

R3: The pitcher for McAllen is pausing just fleetiingly before delivering. It was an era of good feeling: late in the evening, my third game in a row (7 innings, 2:30 time limit), everyone in the park was relaxed, McAllen trailed by several runs: "Hush, Carl!" I muttered to myself.

"Hey, Blue!" screamed the coach. Without another word, he mimed perfectly what the pitcher was doing: pausing just for an instant and then bouncing, sweeping his hands apart. The McAllen pitcher was clearly and obviously balking -- and I wasn't calling it.

"He's ok," I lied. "But I'll watch him closely!" That's when I could no longer stay quiet in the Twilight Zone. I started giggling.

The McAllen pitcher was balking, and the complaining coach was -- the McAllen head coach!

As Jack Paar was wont to say: "I kid you not!"

The players may be select. I'm certain some of the coaches aren't.
Old Sun Jun 06, 2004, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

I'd have to admit it!

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
Well, they were bound to happen sometime, those third-world plays that never happen.

But did!

They all occurred in two games on the same field in a USSSA 18u select team qualifying tournament, playing modified FED rules.

Firsts in my career:

1. One-run game, runner on third, one out. Batter is hitting left-handed, attempting a safety squeeze. Pitch, bunt, and a miss. Pitch, bunt, and a miss. With the pitcher on the rubber, leaning forward for the sign, the batter hops across to the right-hand batter's box. "He's out!" I exclaim. I've read of it happening to other umpires; that was the first time for me. (You'd think it might happen in 10u. But no!)

2. R3, 0 out, left-handed power hitter at the plate. The pitcher, in the set position, stretches and does not come to a complete stop. "Time. That's a balk!" I scream as the ball heads for the plate. It then heads for the fence in right field and clears it easily for a two-run home run.

Not!

FED rules: Tony had to return to hit again, and the runner from third scored. A balk is a dead ball in FED only. That was one of the rules the coaches had voted to keep.

The coach for the offense argued vehemently the pitcher did not balk. The defensive skipper was equally passionate: "Carl, of course he balked. He's been balking all summer long." (5 days!?)

Any rule that leads the offending team to claim they offended and the offended team to claim they did not is a bad rule.

Now, the two coaches didn't argue. But I've written this scenario so often, they might as well have. In my mind, they did.

For just a moment.

Tony's at bat reads: 1 ball, no pitch (balk home run), 1 strike, 390-foot home run! The kid homered twice in the same at-bat. As they say in West Side Story: "Smoke on your pipe and put that in."

3. R3. Suicide squeeze. B1 doesn't bunt but rips the ball. It nearly takes off the right arm of the runner who's about 25 feet from home. He's hit in fair territory. So I scream: "Time! Dead ball!"

Modified FED rules, and this is one of the modifications. The USSSA rules do not permit the batter to "swing" during a squeeze or steal of home.

That rule is in effect for the tournament. (Pool play today, bat-off tomorrow.) Therefore: The batter is out and ejected. R3 returns to third.

In the nationals, the head coach would also be ejected, but the TD had ruled in advance that if the play happened (it had never happened to me before today), we were NOT to eject the head coach.

4. Finally -- and most startling of all:

R3: The pitcher for McAllen is pausing just fleetiingly before delivering. It was an era of good feeling: late in the evening, my third game in a row (7 innings, 2:30 time limit), everyone in the park was relaxed, McAllen trailed by several runs: "Hush, Carl!" I muttered to myself.

"Hey, Blue!" screamed the coach. Without another word, he mimed perfectly what the pitcher was doing: pausing just for an instant and then bouncing, sweeping his hands apart. The McAllen pitcher was clearly and obviously balking -- and I wasn't calling it.

"He's ok," I lied. "But I'll watch him closely!" That's when I could no longer stay quiet in the Twilight Zone. I started giggling.

The McAllen pitcher was balking, and the complaining coach was -- the McAllen head coach!

As Jack Paar was wont to say: "I kid you not!"

The players may be select. I'm certain some of the coaches aren't.
I have to ask in play #1, how many guys would have called the out. I know I probably would not have thought of the correct ruling on the fly.

But after thinking about it, sure enough when F1 is on the rubber, he's out.

We had a guy switch the other day, and one of the players asked if he could, and I told him he could, but I didn't remember about the rule if F1 was on the rubber.

So, I know if its never happened to Carl, then surely it won't happen to me. (g)

Play #3, that's a pretty strict penalty for the batter. But I like it. Had that play happen the other night, and it simply scares me everytime. Stupid coaches will never learn.

Thanks
David
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[B!"

That rule is in effect for the tournament. ( [/B]
Carl,
I'm confused. Are you saying that is a rule for your tournament, or a USSSA rule?
(I do a lot of USSSA, just finished a 14 & 18 tournament yesterday, and am not aware of that rule. I didn't see it in a quick look at the Utrip rules on line either. I do understand that state directors can make minor modifications for tournaments in their states.

Roger Greene
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger Greene
Quote:
[B!"

That rule is in effect for the tournament. (
Carl,
I'm confused. Are you saying that is a rule for your tournament, or a USSSA rule?
(I do a lot of USSSA, just finished a 14 & 18 tournament yesterday, and am not aware of that rule. I didn't see it in a quick look at the Utrip rules on line either. I do understand that state directors can make minor modifications for tournaments in their states.

Roger Greene
[/B]
It's a local modification of USSSA rules used for League play, one the coaches voted to keep for their tournament. Remember, we used mostly NFHS rules -- and you won't find that in the USSSA book either. (grin)
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Since when does a USSSA sanctioned league use FED rules?
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TwoBits
Since when does a USSSA sanctioned league use FED rules?
Well, since the guys that pay the money decided to do it that way. USSSA wants qualified select teams to show up at national tournaments and play by their rules. The winner of my tournament will do just that.