The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Willie and his Glasses

Anyone see willie not take of his sunglasses when a coach was talking/yelling in the wcws? It was almost as if willie was thinking " If Coach isnt I'm not" any thoughts?
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Didn't see it, don't know Willie but IMO anytime you are discussing something with a coach you should remove sunglasses, just common courtsey to look someone in the eyes when you are talking to them. If they don't return the courtesy that is not your problem you were the "bigger" man in the situation. Again JMO, and I am not implying anything about the umpire with my statements.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Perhaps Willie has prescription sunglasses and if he takes them off he cannot see.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
Didn't see it, don't know Willie but IMO anytime you are discussing something with a coach you should remove sunglasses, just common courtsey to look someone in the eyes when you are talking to them. If they don't return the courtesy that is not your problem you were the "bigger" man in the situation. Again JMO, and I am not implying anything about the umpire with my statements.
Willie is the guy who worked the scissors
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel
Perhaps Willie has prescription sunglasses and if he takes them off he cannot see.
You know thats actually what I thought about last night when ASU's Coach was talking to him about a girl who wille rung up (which was a good call)
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Later in same game he appeared to be wearing regular prescription glasses.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalumps
Later in same game he appeared to be wearing regular prescription glasses.
They sound like Transition lenses to me.
The only prescription glasses I own are Transitions, and at the last clinic I attended, the clinician said that these types of glasses would not be allowed at the state finals. It's always something new with the IHSA.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsbvb83
The only prescription glasses I own are Transitions, and at the last clinic I attended, the clinician said that these types of glasses would not be allowed at the state finals. It's always something new with the IHSA.
Sunglasses were black framed oakley wraparounds....other glasses were silver framed narrow lens...doubt they were transition...except that maybe they transitioned from carry case to face.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

HTML Code:
Anyone see willie not take of his sunglasses when a coach was talking/yelling in the wcws? It was almost as if willie was thinking " If Coach isnt I'm not" any thoughts?
Maybe with everything going on in the world series and all of the concentration involved to work that level of ball with the pressure, he forgot. It happens to me sometimes even though I try to remember to remove them, but sometimes I forget when in the heat of the moment and I don't come close to work the level of ball that Willie works.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNTXUM P
[HTML]....and I don't come close to work the level of ball that Willie works.
Uh-huh.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsbvb83
How can they "ban" glasses? If they ban any style of prescription glasses, they may as well ban them all. (Not to mention the non-prescription as well.)

What was their reasoning???

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

I ALWAYS, and I do mean ALWAYS take my sunglasses off when talking to a coach.

Well unless I forget I have them on.

Which is most times, I forget.. and then go "Doh! I forgot!".. ah well.. I'm sure nothing about the convo changed... but usually I can remember for the plate meeting. Usually anyway.

After that well all bets are off.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 02:47am
Official Forum Member

I dont really know where this started or why taking your glasses off is a big deal at all really.

It's not like you are shaking someone's hand while sitting down and with a glove on.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 05:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
How can they "ban" glasses? If they ban any style of prescription glasses, they may as well ban them all. (Not to mention the non-prescription as well.)

What was their reasoning???
several college assignors i know will not allow you to wear sunglasses on the dish and if you have transistions they are fine for the bases but get a pair of regular lenses for the plate...
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeump
I dont really know where this started or why taking your glasses off is a big deal at all really.

It's not like you are shaking someone's hand while sitting down and with a glove on.
Its a respect thing. The thinking behind it is that sociologically our society equates respect with eye contact and sunglasses limit the ability for that eye contact. The coach's dont respect us enough to remove theirs but we should have the sense to take ours off because we should display the respect that we are asking from the coaches

Last edited by kcg NC2Ablu; Thu Jun 05, 2008 at 05:27am.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

So, they would rather you be squinting, looking directly into the sun on a 110 degree day in Phoenix, rather than wear a good pair of sunglasses and actually be able to see?