The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

When is a H/R not a H/R then is a H/R

You learn something new every day in our line of work. Yesterday I learned that a 26 yr old substitute teacher who is also the Jr High softball coach can cuss with the best of them. Situation Im the base umpire bases loaded ball hit down the left field line in a open field setting, as the ball hits in fair territory runners all score including the B/R. One problem the ball's trajectory took it in to a clearly marked DB area that paralells foul territory. H/P looks at me for help I call out DB and signal 2 bases and place runners at 2nd and 3rd. H/C is coaching 3rd and throws scorebook down to the ground. She comes out to me and tells me she knows softball and her girls all score because the ball went dead after her players crossed plate. My partner is buying her argument. He's a varsity umpire I'm a JV umpire and I tell him privately he's making a mistake but he gives them the H/R. As I'm walking back to 1st base I heard her say he's a God damn idiot. I didn't have the opportunity to ask her who she was referring too as I ejected her 2 seconds after her idiot comment. Could I have handled my partner any differently and ultimately was I correct in awarding a ground rule 2B hit.
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIIRISHMAN
You learn something new every day in our line of work. Yesterday I learned that a 26 yr old substitute teacher who is also the Jr High softball coach can cuss with the best of them. Situation Im the base umpire bases loaded ball hit down the left field line in a open field setting, as the ball hits in fair territory runners all score including the B/R. One problem the ball's trajectory took it in to a clearly marked DB area that paralells foul territory. H/P looks at me for help I call out DB and signal 2 bases and place runners at 2nd and 3rd. H/C is coaching 3rd and throws scorebook down to the ground. She comes out to me and tells me she knows softball and her girls all score because the ball went dead after her players crossed plate. My partner is buying her argument. He's a varsity umpire I'm a JV umpire and I tell him privately he's making a mistake but he gives them the H/R. As I'm walking back to 1st base I heard her say he's a God damn idiot. I didn't have the opportunity to ask her who she was referring too as I ejected her 2 seconds after her idiot comment. Could I have handled my partner any differently and ultimately was I correct in awarding a ground rule 2B hit.
They teach you anything about sentence structure and paragraphs out on the Island?

Only to remind him of the rule when a fair batted ball leaves the field of play in foul territory is a ground rule double REGARDLESS of the location of the runner. If this was the home coach, it is her field and usually control of the ground rules. If another result in this given scenario is desired, she should have presented them at the pre-game plate meeting. If a visiting coach who didn't care for the ground rules, an objection should have been raised during that same meeting.

However, unless there was a predetermined exception to the rule, you got it right, your partner needs to worry about what the book says instead of the coach. Also, throwing the scorebook may have been enough for others to eject. Personally, I probably would have snickered a bit.
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... H/C is coaching 3rd and throws scorebook down to the ground.
Why was there any discussion after this point? She should have been told to pick up her scorebook on the way to the parking lot.

Quote:
She comes out to me... My partner is buying her argument.
Why was your partner in this argument? I have had coaches go to my partner to discuss a call of mine and I have said, "Coach, that was my call, if you've got any questions about it, you can ask me." I have had my partner try to get involved in a discussion with me and a coach about one of my calls, and I have told them, "It's okay, John, I've got this. Please give me a chance to answer the coach's questions." (I ,of course, try to say this as respectfully as possible considering your partner is perhaps unknowingly being disrespectful to you.)

I have heard of one situation in our association where the two onfield umpires disagreed with the ruling. The PU, the one who made the call ultimately stuck with his ruling and of course the other coach hearing the discussion then was quite upset. The BU told the other coach, "You know you still have the option of protesting the ruling. I'm 100% sure of the rule and my partner has it wrong."

I only post this as a situation that happened, not as a recommendation of what should be done. I believe a good pre-game between partners, including reminding each of their responsibilities in these situations, would have solved the problem.

Last edited by SC Ump; Sat May 31, 2008 at 10:48am.
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
They teach you anything about sentence structure and paragraphs out on the Island?
The reason I edited the above post was my worry over sentence structure and paragraph layout. I'm still not sure I have everything right, but I tried to get it close enough for y'all non-South Carolinians to follow more easier.
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Ump
The reason I edited the above post was my worry over sentence structure and paragraph layout. I'm still not sure I have everything right, but I tried to get it close enough for y'all non-South Carolinians to follow more easier.
Y'all just setting me up, ain't ya?
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

I hate it when someone tries to coach 3rd and be a scorekeeper at the same time. Maybe she could have clipped a rule book to her scorebook.
part-time coach,
here to learn.
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Y'all just setting me up, ain't ya?
Nice accent.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.