The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Defensive player swaps in the middle of an inning

I might want to use some junk defenses this summer, maybe go to 7 infielders like I have seen baseball do from time to time or have some other unusual slap defenses. Anyway, here is the sitch:

I am using dp/flex.
Its the middle of an inning, and the offense has 3 slappers in a row coming up. My third base is a tough girl who can stay in there with the big hitters, but she is a little slow in fielding the bunts and slaps. So I ask for time and sit down the original third baseman and bring off the bench my DP who is a little quicker.

We get through the slappers and the big sticks are coming up and the dp is a little squeemish so I ask for time again and I bring back my original third base and dp goes out to left field and my leftfielder sits on the bench.

The flex player is left alone. I don't go near the pitcher or the catcher. This isn't a stall technique, we have been doing this since the first inning and are reasonably quick about the swaps.

Anybody have a problem with this?
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Nope

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Only time I would have a problem with it is if you're playing coed.

I've also seen some kids' leagues that have a rule specifically prohibiting this.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reccer
I might want to use some junk defenses this summer, maybe go to 7 infielders like I have seen baseball do from time to time or have some other unusual slap defenses. Anyway, here is the sitch:

I am using dp/flex.
Its the middle of an inning, and the offense has 3 slappers in a row coming up. My third base is a tough girl who can stay in there with the big hitters, but she is a little slow in fielding the bunts and slaps. So I ask for time and sit down the original third baseman and bring off the bench my DP who is a little quicker.

We get through the slappers and the big sticks are coming up and the dp is a little squeemish so I ask for time again and I bring back my original third base and dp goes out to left field and my leftfielder sits on the bench.

The flex player is left alone. I don't go near the pitcher or the catcher. This isn't a stall technique, we have been doing this since the first inning and are reasonably quick about the swaps.

Anybody have a problem with this?
As long as you tell the umpire.