The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

We're screwed, guys.

I was surfing around and came across this...

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/50...scription.html

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
I was surfing around and came across this...

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/50...scription.html
Screwed? Hell, no, this is great. Of course, this is old news as development of this "machine" was years in the making and having a patent for 17 years, probably hasn't had a single unit sold.

The Description and Summary is total bull**** and I'm sure the unit is cost prohibitive, but I would love to see this product hit the mainstream.

It is nothing, but electronic mat ball. It would require the majority of the ball to cross the plate and maintain path to hit the mat. OTOH, it would also allow a ball to not cross the plate, yet still be declared a strike by hitting the mat. How great would it be to see the players try to argue with it? I know a couple pitchers that would hit this mat on a regular basis with the ball never crossing the plate.

Meanwhile, we just work the bases and call illegal from that position. BTW, I'm not working the game for less money, so someone else is going to have to pay the this mat. Hope Kenneth Pyle makes a bundle on this Spencer's Gifts piece of crap!
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Screwed? Hell, no, this is great. Of course, this is old news as development of this "machine" was years in the making and having a patent for 17 years, probably hasn't had a single unit sold.

The Description and Summary is total bull**** and I'm sure the unit is cost prohibitive, but I would love to see this product hit the mainstream.

It is nothing, but electronic mat ball. It would require the majority of the ball to cross the plate and maintain path to hit the mat. OTOH, it would also allow a ball to not cross the plate, yet still be declared a strike by hitting the mat. How great would it be to see the players try to argue with it? I know a couple pitchers that would hit this mat on a regular basis with the ball never crossing the plate.

Meanwhile, we just work the bases and call illegal from that position. BTW, I'm not working the game for less money, so someone else is going to have to pay the this mat. Hope Kenneth Pyle makes a bundle on this Spencer's Gifts piece of crap!
Funny concept, though. But hey, senior's ball is using a mat now. A ball can be a strike there, too, without crossing the plate.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
Funny concept, though. But hey, senior's ball is using a mat now. A ball can be a strike there, too, without crossing the plate.
Which is why it is pretty much a joke. But that's what the old men want, even though it will not bring more teams into ASA's fold.