The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 24, 2008, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Dumb Move Umpire (DMU)

Toaday's real Dumb Move Umpire. Coed slow pitch, big male batter, hits a routine fly ball down the left field line. Ball lands about 10 feet fair. There I am making a BIG "Foul Ball" call. Batter took it rather well.

Any other DMU that you care to admit?

Bugg
Old Sat May 24, 2008, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob
Not today, thanks!
Old Sat May 24, 2008, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Toaday's real Dumb Move Umpire. Coed slow pitch, big male batter, hits a routine fly ball down the left field line. Ball lands about 10 feet fair. There I am making a BIG "Foul Ball" call. Batter took it rather well.

Bugg
Well, there was this one game I was watching in WA. A big guy hit a towering fly ball the landed 10 to the fair side of the line and this umpire they call Bugg called it a foul ball.......

Hey, $hit happens! If we didn't make mistakes, we would all be working for the Federal Reserve.
Old Sat May 24, 2008, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to 7in60
Quote:
Yeah, that was really dumb. I only pull stuff like this when the batter is a little guy.
Old Sat May 24, 2008, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

This wasn't so much dumb as it was unprofessional.

HS FP JV game, 2nd game of a doubleheader. Red team took first game and was batting in the bottom of the 3rd, with 2 outs, in the 2nd game. They batted around 3 times and the coach was still sending runners 1st to 3rd as well as from 2nd to home on all singles. Red team must have opened up a lead on the Green team of about 25-2 or something like that. Green team wants time and elects to change pitchers.

As the infielders were huddled around the P plate, I walked in as the BU and informed them that the last scoring runner missed 3B. The SS asks me how to appeal the play, I tell her, and I ring up the 3rd out.......finally.

Mind you the weather wasn't that great. Overcast, High 40's, very strong wind. No one wanted to be there.

I went home that night telling myself I did what I did for game management.
Old Sat May 24, 2008, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've never made a mistake on the ball field... that I care to admit.
Old Sat May 24, 2008, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBLUE

HS FP JV game, 2nd game of a doubleheader. Red team took first game and was batting in the bottom of the 3rd, with 2 outs, in the 2nd game. They batted around 3 times and the coach was still sending runners 1st to 3rd as well as from 2nd to home on all singles. Red team must have opened up a lead on the Green team of about 25-2 or something like that. Green team wants time and elects to change pitchers.

As the infielders were huddled around the P plate, I walked in as the BU and informed them that the last scoring runner missed 3B. The SS asks me how to appeal the play, I tell her, and I ring up the 3rd out.......finally.

Mind you the weather wasn't that great. Overcast, High 40's, very strong wind. No one wanted to be there.

I went home that night telling myself I did what I did for game management.
WOW..Did you REALLY do that??????????
Old Sat May 24, 2008, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg
WOW..Did you REALLY do that??????????
It was this past Monday to be exact.

(Anyone): Was I really wrong in doing what I did?
Old Sat May 24, 2008, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It was this past Monday to be exact.

(Anyone): Was I really wrong in doing what I did?
Technically.........yes.

Would I have done the same thing given the circumstances.....hell yes!
Old Sat May 24, 2008, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

This past week, I had a game where the home team was up 23-2 after 2 innings. Top of the third, I told the home team's second baseman, "have your runners pull their feet off the bag on the pitch. Let's get this game over with, because we have another game after this one, and no one enjoys getting killed on the field."

Sure enough, bottom of the 3rd, runner on 2B takes off and is halfway to 3B before the pitch nears the plate.

"Dead ball! Runner's out."

He looks at me like I just insulted his mother on Sunday.

Apparently, she told him to run, but forgot to mention the penalty.

Oh well, at least we ended our game on time.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon May 26, 2008, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

I have come close twice.

First, was last week. So a V FP game being played at local high school stopped in to see the game and the guys. I know 1/2 of the girls playing for the home team and they now I am a ump, had the twice earlier in the year. I also do local teen programming so I know them that way too. I am taking some pics of the guys in the field, for razing latter on. Game is not close, home team getting killed. No dugouts and I am standing 10 feet behind the home bench. Visiting team girl hits one deep into left center. I am watching the base ump, and I notice the girl miss second by 2 feet and he is looking right at it. What do I do? No one else noticed, I guess because no one told them to appeal. I bit my lip and let it go. I mean how does that look? I am going to have them next year as a ump. Needless to say the base ump saw the miss too. He was hoping someone else did too.

Second, Little League game. Team is getting killed and other team is still sending runner and stealing home on every past ball. On one past ball the runner just barley hit the plate. The foot print is out side the plate, but he did touch it. The catcher looks down at it and mumbles something. I ask him if everything was OK. He said something like I think the runner missed the plate. I asked him if he wanted to appeal? He said "no it does not matter."

At that it was good enough for me. I called the runner out and we moved on the the next inning. The young first base coach yelled out, "he never appealed you can not do that." I really yelled at this kid for running up the score. As he tried to get away. I asked him "If this was a Varsity game what would happen?" He got the question right, "batter would start to get hit." Which turned the switch in his head and he got it.

Head coach did save him from me, and said ya we will slow down. The rest of the game the kid coaching first and played station to station baseball. The damm head coach on third held the runners for one inning and then went back to ending them on every pass ball.

I remember looking at the kid coaching first and he just shrugged his shoulders.

But to tell a team to appeal, there is other ways. Stand by the base like a something is wrong. Missed home plate, look at it like the play is not over. I would not just come out and tell them to appeal.

Last edited by snorman75; Mon May 26, 2008 at 02:19am.
Old Mon May 26, 2008, 02:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I did a game that Monday too, Holy S%$T. I had to get my fall slow pitch gear out. It was way too cold. I had to do my only modified game of the year too. Close game went all 7, too long. The girls were shivering at the plate and running around in the field to stay warm. It is May right?