View Single Post
Old Mon May 26, 2008, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

I have come close twice.

First, was last week. So a V FP game being played at local high school stopped in to see the game and the guys. I know 1/2 of the girls playing for the home team and they now I am a ump, had the twice earlier in the year. I also do local teen programming so I know them that way too. I am taking some pics of the guys in the field, for razing latter on. Game is not close, home team getting killed. No dugouts and I am standing 10 feet behind the home bench. Visiting team girl hits one deep into left center. I am watching the base ump, and I notice the girl miss second by 2 feet and he is looking right at it. What do I do? No one else noticed, I guess because no one told them to appeal. I bit my lip and let it go. I mean how does that look? I am going to have them next year as a ump. Needless to say the base ump saw the miss too. He was hoping someone else did too.

Second, Little League game. Team is getting killed and other team is still sending runner and stealing home on every past ball. On one past ball the runner just barley hit the plate. The foot print is out side the plate, but he did touch it. The catcher looks down at it and mumbles something. I ask him if everything was OK. He said something like I think the runner missed the plate. I asked him if he wanted to appeal? He said "no it does not matter."

At that it was good enough for me. I called the runner out and we moved on the the next inning. The young first base coach yelled out, "he never appealed you can not do that." I really yelled at this kid for running up the score. As he tried to get away. I asked him "If this was a Varsity game what would happen?" He got the question right, "batter would start to get hit." Which turned the switch in his head and he got it.

Head coach did save him from me, and said ya we will slow down. The rest of the game the kid coaching first and played station to station baseball. The damm head coach on third held the runners for one inning and then went back to ending them on every pass ball.

I remember looking at the kid coaching first and he just shrugged his shoulders.

But to tell a team to appeal, there is other ways. Stand by the base like a something is wrong. Missed home plate, look at it like the play is not over. I would not just come out and tell them to appeal.

Last edited by snorman75; Mon May 26, 2008 at 02:19am.