The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

ASA Uniform Pants

Does anyone have any experience wearing the base pants sold on the ASA OfficialGear site with single knee leg guards? I have skinny legs and tail so I hate to buy plate pants that are described as having fuller seat and thigh areas. Was wondering if the leg widths of the base pants are any fuller, if only a little, than regular mens slacks.
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCount
Does anyone have any experience wearing the base pants sold on the ASA OfficialGear site with single knee leg guards? I have skinny legs and tail so I hate to buy plate pants that are described as having fuller seat and thigh areas. Was wondering if the leg widths of the base pants are any fuller, if only a little, than regular mens slacks.
I wear the base pants with soccer-style shin guards, and I've found that I have plenty of room in the legs. I used to play a lot of volleyball, so my thighs and calves are a little larger than average. Even then, I still have room.

I'd recommend buying them unhemmed, trying them on with the guards, and return them if they don't fit. If they fit, have someone hem them for you. My wife hems all my pants, and she doesn't charge $8.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
I wear the base pants with soccer-style shin guards, and I've found that I have plenty of room in the legs.
Yeah...but that is SP, right? I sure hope you don't use the soccer style shin guards for FP.

Back to the original post. I highly recommend the use of plate pants for plate work. They just look so much better. (Actually, I use combos in the place of plate pants.) I wear base pants on the bases for the same reason. It is all about appearing professional, looking our best. Not about cutting corners. (Yes, I have been there, too. Glad I grew out of that phase fairly quickly. It was a time when I was doing what I was shown in a backwoods Texas town.)

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My wife hems all my pants, and she doesn't charge $8.
Yeah. But mine wouldn't know a hem if it hit her in the face. And if she did, she would probably charge me double that price. (Actually, I am just teasing. Her mother actually hems all of mine)

Old Fri May 16, 2008, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
I wear the Fechheimer Flying Cross from officialgear. I always wear base pants even while PU. I buy the next larger size for the plate, instead of the balloon plate pants. I can always tighten my belt up one notch if they are too loose. I cannot stand the looks of the plate pants and I have plenty of room for my full shins guards even with base pants. Dave
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 01:58pm
Administrator

Quote:
I wear the base pants with soccer-style shin guards, and I've found that I have plenty of room in the legs. I used to play a lot of volleyball, so my thighs and calves are a little larger than average. Even then, I still have room.

I'd recommend buying them unhemmed, trying them on with the guards, and return them if they don't fit. If they fit, have someone hem them for you. My wife hems all my pants, and she doesn't charge $8.

I have been married for 25-1/2 years now to a very wonderful woman and she hems my basketball officiating pants and my baseball/softball umpiring pants and it seems that the "honey do jar" seems to get heavier right after she hems them. And sometimes she wants to know what would I do if she hadn't married me, to which I replay, pay $8 to have them hemmed.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Fri May 16, 2008 at 09:48pm.
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Yeah. But mine wouldn't know a hem if it hit her in the face. And if she did, she would probably charge me double that price. (Actually, I am just teasing. Her mother actually hems all of mine)
Then you still married well.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Fri May 16, 2008, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the feedback. I've been concerned that the plate pants would be too baggy but I've gotten another comment from a local umpire that the base pants just don't look right with leg guards under them. Just wish the ASA site offered combo pants. Scott- I agree, I want to do it right and look professional. And I'm fighting the "cut corners" tendency that also comes from small Texas town influences.
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah...but that is SP, right? I sure hope you don't use the soccer style shin guards for FP.

Back to the original post. I highly recommend the use of plate pants for plate work. They just look so much better. (Actually, I use combos in the place of plate pants.) I wear base pants on the bases for the same reason. It is all about appearing professional, looking our best. Not about cutting corners. (Yes, I have been there, too. Glad I grew out of that phase fairly quickly. It was a time when I was doing what I was shown in a backwoods Texas town.)
Yeah, I do SP (and when I do local leagues, my shins are LOVIN' the fact that I wear guards), but I gave the response as a reference to the OP to give him/her an idea as to how much room to expect.

Old Fri May 16, 2008, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

TRUST ME! You pay, one way or the other and a lot more than $8.
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
TRUST ME! You pay, one way or the other and a lot more than $8.
Yeah, but some payments are better than others.

Old Fri May 16, 2008, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I have been married for 25-1/2 years now to a very wonderful women...
You have more than one? I don't know whether to bow down in admiration, or to feel pity for you.

Old Fri May 16, 2008, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCount
Scott- I agree, I want to do it right and look professional. And I'm fighting the "cut corners" tendency that also comes from small Texas town influences.
If you plan to stay in it, you are going to spend the money sooner or later. I spend about $200-400 every year in upgrades.

Old Fri May 16, 2008, 09:47pm
Administrator

Quote:
You have more than one? I don't know whether to bow down in admiration, or to feel pity for you.

OOPS!! I had better go back and edit that post before the my "better half" sees it.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat May 17, 2008, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

I wouldnt recommend them. When I see umps using those for plate pants, they ride up on the shin guard.