The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 04, 2001, 02:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tweets
Question

For the past couple years, I have worn the pants that I purchased at Mervyn's (department/retail). they are regular men's "dress" pants, (I always try to get the ones with the least amount of pleates). The reason being, I work at Target (Mervyn's cousin, Dayton's/Hudson's Corp) so I get the discount plus when they go on sale they are much cheaper than anywhere else... and those polyesther things don't do anything for my butt. I have seen other, higher ranking officials wear the same style, and heard other guys insinuate that they are not appropriate. What is acceptable in your areas?
Old Thu Oct 04, 2001, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

They're not cotten, are they?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Oct 04, 2001, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

BB Pants

Tweets,
Most officials wear the polyester pants, not pleated, no cotton. They are nearly impossible to wrinkle in your bag. They last forever and if you get one those little defuzzers that looks a little like a man's shaver you can get rid of the fuzz balls that form on the bottom of the pants. I am slim 6' tall 34 waist so I refuse to wear pleated pants that tend to make me look fat, oops I mean overweight, my opinion. I buy my pants from the Haggar outlet in Branson, MO. I have a deal with them where they will ship to me for a small UPS charge. I order for our association Fellowship of Christian Officials, so I have tried all types of sources. The advantage of Haggar is that they are already hemmed and if you have a standard inseam, 1" increments, you should have no problem. We have several ladies in our association and they wear them. Some sources, see post "best online store...", have women's pants now. They are a little expensesive but now that you're making the big bucks, you can afford them, try http://www.pluspos.com and get 20% off during Oct. Good luck and welcome to the Forum.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2001, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Question Basketball Pants

Does anyone know where one can purchase basketball pants for a person (me) who has large thighs and legs? I am 5'11", 185, not fat, 34WX32L, BUT with large, muscular thighs and legs. All of the pants I have bought are always much too tight a fit in that area.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2001, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Basketball Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by westford
Does anyone know where one can purchase basketball pants for a person (me) who has large thighs and legs? I am 5'11", 185, not fat, 34WX32L, BUT with large, muscular thighs and legs. All of the pants I have bought are always much too tight a fit in that area.
I had the same problem (not that I'm that muscular, but the pants were just too tight in the thigh and butt but were just right in the waist). I wear 34Wx32L as well (6', 205#) so I buy 36Wx32L and have the waist taken in about 1.5"---tapering the modification into the rest of the pants. They fit great now. Sure, it costs a few bucks, but it's better than wearing clothes that don't fit.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2001, 12:13pm
In Memoriam

Re: Basketball Pants

Quote:
westford,
Have you tried the athletic cut from Honigs?
Made for your build.
mick
Old Tue Oct 09, 2001, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tweets
no, they're not cotton, they are your average "dress" pants you would wear your shirt and tie with.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2001, 09:58am
9 times

Re: BB Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Baldwin
Tweets,
I am slim 6' tall 34 waist so I refuse to wear pleated pants that tend to make me look fat, oops I mean overweight, my opinion.
I am 6' 2" 190 lbs 33 waist and I prefer the pleats. They are much more comfortable to run in, look much better and give a thin guy the look of a little more size. Also, if you watch, virtually everyone at higher levels is wearing pleats. It is the future, just like the V neck shirt a few years ago.

I think that the heavier guys tend to look bigger in the pleated pants, not the thin guys.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Mon Oct 22, 2001, 12:30pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Re: Basketball Pants

Quote:
westford,
I answered your e-mail, and it was returned.
Your profile e-dress must be incorrect.
Good goin' with your pants.
Happy to help.
mick
Old Mon Oct 22, 2001, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
5'11 190lbs with a pop belly 34x33. I was a 30 before my wife got pregnant.:-) I wear sansabelt and nothing else. They work wonderfully. Before I called my first game, I went to walmart and bought a pair of cotton black slacks. Lasted a month before they started to fade. I bought the sansabelt at that time. I still wear them on occasions and they still look like they are new. About the paints not fitting in the thighs, I would find a good seamstress to take care of that problem. Sansabelts can be taken in or let out.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2001, 01:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

I've said it before and here it is again - I used to buy Sansabelts, but then I saw a similar style in the JCPenney's sale catalog and tried them. They have the elastic waistband and are polyester. They were less than $20 per pair when I bought two pairs. This was a year and a half ago (I think). They've been great.

I don't know what the pricing is now, but I would suggest it's at least worth a look.

BTW - a few years ago a partner asked me about pants. I replied, "I'm for 'em."
Old Thu Oct 25, 2001, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Hartwig2
mark, what style of pants were they? Do you remember the brand?

-Keep your eye on the prize
Old Thu Oct 25, 2001, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tweets
What is acceptable in your areas?
The NFHS Rule book simply states that the official should be wearing the black and white striped shirt and black pants. (2-1 Note)

Last year I got called off the bench to do a girls and boys JV game because one of the officials failed to show and all I had to wear for pants was some black warm-ups and my striped shirt. The warm-ups were completely black with no stripes or markings of any kind, so from a distance it was probably hard to tell them from my other black trousers, but hey, they worked. To be honest, I liked wearing my warm-ups better. They were more comfortable and looked just as nice.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2001, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I would try that but my black warmups are ski slickers and are designed to be worn over many layers of clothes. I've lost a pound or two and the slickers do not stay up very well. Oh well.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2001, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hartwig2
mark, what style of pants were they? Do you remember the brand?
I believe Mark is referring to Haggar Expandomatics. 100% Poly, beltless with a nice wide waistband. Tough to find a Penney's that carries them in-store. (Polyester not a big seller in this Dockers-era).
They also sell them on their website. As Mark said, they offer a discount when buying 2 or more pair.

dk