The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 01, 2008, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Batter won't even come out of the dugout!!!!

What do you do when you have a batter that won't get in the batter's box? Heck, she won't even get out of the dugout!?!?!

I had this situation this week. NFHS JV game, visitors down 6-2 but rallying in the top of the 6th. 2 outs, bases loaded, #2 batter is next to bat. I call out "Batter", thinking she is still in the on deck circle and I have already counted to eight. I look and no one is there. I call time, go to the dugout and ask the coach for a batter. He says that she doesn't want to bat (he has already used his two substitutes). I ask him again for a batter, and he says, "She won't bat, just call her out."

I'm not making this up, it really happened.

I didn't want to demean the player or the team or the fans; it seemed to me that the players had issues with each other, and the coach. So instead of getting back into position, calling a strike on the batter for violating the ten second rule, calling "Play ball" and having the pitcher throw two more pitches (strikes, of course) to a non-existent batter, I called the girl out for not reporting to the batters box.

I couldn't find anything in the rule book about this kind of situation. I know I did not do it "by the book", but what would you have done in my plate shoes???

Asking for input and constructive criticism.

NFHS
USSSA
Old Thu May 01, 2008, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

"Batter." Wait 10 seconds. "Dead ball. Strike."

Batter's out.

Next batter.

NFHS 7-3-1
Old Thu May 01, 2008, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Why not NFHS 4-3-1(b) "refuses to continue play after the game has started", or 4-3-1 (c) "delays more than one minute in resumimg play after the umpire calls "Play Ball", or 4-3-1(e) "willfully and persistently violates any one of the rules after being warned by the umpire'? What gives the player, coach, or team the option to refuse to bat? Isn't that a rule?

ASA equivalents are 4.4-C, D, and F.
Old Thu May 01, 2008, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
Why not NFHS 4-3-1(b) "refuses to continue play after the game has started", or 4-3-1 (c) "delays more than one minute in resumimg play after the umpire calls "Play Ball", or 4-3-1(e) "willfully and persistently violates any one of the rules after being warned by the umpire'? What gives the player, coach, or team the option to refuse to bat? Isn't that a rule?

ASA equivalents are 4.4-C, D, and F.
NFHS rule 4-3-1 begins
Quote:
ART. 1 . . . A game shall be forfeited to the offended team by the umpire when a team:
It seems in the OP we had a batter refusing to play, not a team. Using the delay rule to call the batter out and moving to the next batter seems like a better fit than a forfeit.
Old Thu May 01, 2008, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
It seems in the OP we had a batter refusing to play, not a team. Using the delay rule to call the batter out and moving to the next batter seems like a better fit than a forfeit.
So, if the pitcher refuses to pitch, you would simply award a ball every 20 seconds, if the coach told you "I can't make her"? At no point would you consider this a forfeit? Is there a difference if it is a batter or the pitcher refusing to participate as required by the rules of the game?

I submit that the coach is required and responsible to have the players play the game. Not doing that isn't acceptable. The fact that all subs had been used should be his problem, not ours.

Personally, I would advise the coach that refusing to bat isn't an option; either she takes her turn as required by the rules, or be ejected for refusing to participate in accordance with the rules. Unless he thought to tell me she was injured and unable to continue, I would advise his options are to 1) get her to participate immediately, 2) provide a legal substitute for her immediately, or 3) forfeit the game being unable to produce the required 9 players to continue.
Old Thu May 01, 2008, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Above responses are "by the book". The forfeit is overkill, not needed, and not the spirit of that rule (that's strictly my opinion). All that is going to do is make a bad situation worse.

If you want to do the right thing for this particular situation, you did it. Call her out and move on (once again my opinion.

Last edited by Dholloway1962; Thu May 01, 2008 at 09:20pm.
Old Thu May 01, 2008, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
So, if the pitcher refuses to pitch, you would simply award a ball every 20 seconds, if the coach told you "I can't make her"? At no point would you consider this a forfeit? Is there a difference if it is a batter or the pitcher refusing to participate as required by the rules of the game?
Yes, there is a difference, and I didn't say you couldn't forfeit the game. Just that, based on the OP, the delay rule seems a better fit.

If you want to declare a forfeit and go home, go ahead. You have a rule to back it up.
Old Thu May 01, 2008, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Yes, there is a difference, and I didn't say you couldn't forfeit the game. Just that, based on the OP, the delay rule seems a better fit.

If you want to declare a forfeit and go home, go ahead. You have a rule to back it up.
I can't speak for NFHS, but I'm not going to declare a forfeit simply because one batter (especially a young player) is too upset to take their turn to bat. I'll just call them out for failing to appear at bat.

A forfeit is pretty heavy-handed, and should always be your last resort.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu May 01, 2008, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962
Above responses are "by the book". The forfeit is overkill, not needed, and not the spirit of that rule (that's strictly my opinion). All that is going to do is make a bad situation worse.

If you want to do the right thing for this particular situation, you did it. Call her out and move on (once again my opinion.
I agree with you and the OP as the right thing to do.
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

Call 'er out, switch sides, play ball, and don't forget: only six more outs and it's Miller Time.
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 04:31am
Official Forum Member

You could even say she's injured and take the out right there. Nothing in the book says that a injury needs to be a physical injury. This girl has bigger troubles then a softball at-bat to worry about.
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

I think some of you are missing the point. It isn't the player.

It is the coach's job to manage the team. Most are talking about addressing the player. It is the coach's job to have a batter in the box. It is the coach's job to control his pitcher and rest of the players.

You don't call the batter to the box, you tell the coach you need a batter. If the girl refuses to bat, it is the coach's job to get her or a substitute in there. If he refuses to do that, there is no reason for him/her to be in the dugout.

It is not the umpire's job or position, to insure the batter bats and the pitcher pitches. If the coach refuses to coach, what is the umpire to do? The coach IS the team. HS umpires know that if you toss the coach and there is not another adult associated with that school present, the game cannot continue.

I'm not looking for a forfeit and I agree that is a very drastic option. However, depending on the situation, you may not have a choice. If there are issues, what happens the next inning when another player balks at approaching the plate? Or maybe a pitcher refuses to throw to a certain batter? If the pitcher will not pitch, the rest of the team cannot play.

Not taking a particular position as every scenario can be different. Just offering food for thought.
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

The OP had mentioned that the coach had already used up his subs and couldn't sub the girl out. The player, for whatever reason, had tied the hands of the coach.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. If she refuses to bat at that moment, what's a coach to do? He can't force her to bat. He can boot her off the team after that game, but in those 30 or so seconds it takes to call those 3 strikes, there's nothing he can do.

In this scenario, I think things were handled appropriately.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

I can see this escalating to a forfeit. Take the OP. No need for the umpire to know or care about the reason WHY the batter does not enter the batter's box.

Umpire: "Batter up"
(nothing)
Umpire: "Coach, I need a batter"
(no batter - whats left of the 10 sec expires)
Umpire: "Strike 1"
(no batter - 10 sec expires)
Umpire: "Strike 2"
(no batter - 10 sec expires)
Umpire: "Strike 3. Batter up"

Now, in the OP, I'd guess the next batter appears. If not, ...

Umpire: "Coach, I need a batter. If your team is not going to play, I will be forced to declare a forfeit."

Then whatever happens, happens. This has taken a minute or less longer than declaring the forfeit right away, and allows for the possiblity of one player having issues of some kind rather than the whole team.

I do agree with Mike that each situation is different. The delay rule called strike and the forfeit rules are tools to be used when the situation requires it.
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
.....and it's Miller Time.

And that is incentive.....how????

Now if you had said Sierra Nevada Pale Ale time or something along those lines, you would have had my attention.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.