The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

I had a first

NAIA game between rivals. Bottom 3rd, uneventful to this point and a 6-0 game, runner comes into home. Catcher has the ball waiting for her. Runner lowers the shoulder and flat plows over the catcher sending them both flying into a pile. PU (I was BU) calls out and before he can eject, he was going to, the catcher kicks the runner hard and the runner stands up and connects with a roundhouse punch. Benches empty and everyone pairs up, kinda like a hockey "get together". Luckily we and the coaches got everything seperated and players to thier benches before any other fights erupt. Ejected the original two.

First time I've had a legit fight!

Worst thing is they start conference tourney this weekend so the ejected will have to sit out a game.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

In FED land, the game would have probably been over - any team member leaving the bench toward the fight, other than a coach working to break it up is as gone as the original two offenders !
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

In any JO ball it should be over.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

If the NAIA conference mentioned here was using NCAA rules, then every player involved in the brawl should have been ejected and would miss their next two scheduled games. So, not only would this game have been over, but so would have the next two games for both teams.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
If the NAIA conference mentioned here was using NCAA rules, then every player involved in the brawl should have been ejected and would miss their next two scheduled games. So, not only would this game have been over, but so would have the next two games for both teams.
From what I have been told, the NCAA doesn't recognize the NAIA. NAIA has it's own set of regulations, not playing rules, just regulations. Guess there was a similar situation last year with other teams and the reports went up to NCAA but they refused to act on it. Don't know the ins and outs of all that bureaucracy.

Anyway, the others never really fought, just ran out and stared each other down. Coaches and us got in between rather quickly, guess the cop in me and my partner came out (yes both of us are in law enforcement). Cooler heads prevailed and no other action was really necessary. Rest of the game went smooth. My partner and I had decided another "disturbance" and we would have called it.
Old Thu May 01, 2008, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962
From what I have been told, the NCAA doesn't recognize the NAIA. NAIA has it's own set of regulations, not playing rules, just regulations. Guess there was a similar situation last year with other teams and the reports went up to NCAA but they refused to act on it. Don't know the ins and outs of all that bureaucracy.

Anyway, the others never really fought, just ran out and stared each other down. Coaches and us got in between rather quickly, guess the cop in me and my partner came out (yes both of us are in law enforcement). Cooler heads prevailed and no other action was really necessary. Rest of the game went smooth. My partner and I had decided another "disturbance" and we would have called it.
From the NAIA coaches manual:

Quote:
Section 10. Rules.
(a) The DAC and the NAIA abide by official NCAA softball rules.
So, I would stick by what I said above.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.