The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoot
You guys have thin skins.
If you are an umpire, you take too much crap.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
If you are on my field, you will defer to me or you will be gone. I dont give a crap what you think of my zone... just keep your mouth shut about it.

Plain and simple.

How other umpires handle you is up to them.
Yup.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

bottom line why dont you let the catcher know that showing you up isnt going to happen. Hold your ground. Be confident(not arrogent) and just dont let crap like that let you get all hot and bothered. Chances are that you show that you are letting it get to you which lets that player and everyone else know they have your punk card... and the WILL play it
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you are on my field, you will defer to me or you will be gone. I dont give a crap what you think of my zone... just keep your mouth shut about it.

Plain and simple.

AMEN
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"I don't throw people, I've got thick skin"

A sorry excuse for a sports official not willing to take the responsibility for which they are being paid. Their job is to manage and control the game.

Allowing players and coaches to act like ucking fidiots ($.02 to John) is not part of the job. And it just isn't about it getting personal. Part of any sports official's job is to protect the integrity of the game AND the crew. Without that, the game is a joke.

A sports official is no less a human being when they don the uniform. Until an official has given a reason for not receiving it, s/he is due every bit of respect earned by the position assigned them. Part of that is civil, non-abusive communication. Under no circumstance should a sports official accept a loud, abusive tirade or any attempt to bring their integrity into question.
Old Thu May 01, 2008, 04:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My right gonad.
If a player or coach has ejected themselves, then they have ejected themselves. The thickness of someone's skin has nothing to do with that.

I agree with many other posts. I will finish the game doing one-man mechanics. You throw my fat butt under the bus with something like that, you will have your butt ON the bus.

MEANWHILE, in a recent game, had the catcher leave the glove up, ask the question, etc etc

I politely told her loud enough for her to hear that she had just committed the fatal sin of showing me up and showing total disrespect. I asked if they had a good backup catcher. She said, very meekly, yes, but she hasn't caught all year, etc. etc. She was damn near in tears as she apologized.

Often, players will take as much rope as they are given. Make sure you don't give them so much they end up hanging you out to dry.
Old Thu May 01, 2008, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

I think the problem is that most people think that harassing an umpire is just "part of the game" when in fact it has no place at all in the game.
Old Thu May 01, 2008, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu
bottom line why dont you let the catcher know that showing you up isnt going to happen. Hold your ground. Be confident(not arrogent) and just dont let crap like that let you get all hot and bothered. Chances are that you show that you are letting it get to you which lets that player and everyone else know they have your punk card... and the WILL play it
My experience shows just the opposite. I have learned (the hard way) that you must nip it in the bud right away. If you don't the coach and other players will pick it up and you'll hear it from everyone, including the spectators. Stop it early with a warning and 99% of the time it will stop. JMO
Old Thu May 01, 2008, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
She was damn near in tears as she apologized.
Grim Reaper, are you makin' the lil' girls cry again?

Old Thu May 01, 2008, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Plain and simple.

AMEN
Old Thu May 01, 2008, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat
I think the problem is that most people think that harassing an umpire is just "part of the game"
No problem, so are ejections!
Old Thu May 01, 2008, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
A week ago I was the PU on a varsity softball game and F2 was setting up inside and I was calling balls. In the first inning she turned and asked what was going on. I stated "you are setting up inside and she is hitting ther glove."

In the second inning the same thing happened and she again asked. I told her the same thing. She asked for time and went out to talk to F1. Both of them looked at me and had a discussion. F2 came back and we started to play. I called another ball and she turned around and looked at me. in the Third inning we started the same way. She asked for time and went out to talk to F1. When she came back, I told her she had the choice of playing or watching and she needed to decide. I also told her that if she insisted, I would decide for her. Had no more looks or questions the rest of the game.
Old Thu May 01, 2008, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

As per the OP, if F2 is not addressing the PU, then why should the PU even dignify any of the F2's actions? Where does the rule book read that F2's can't hold their mitt up/frame a pitch, or shrug their shoulders?
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 05:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsig
My experience shows just the opposite. I have learned (the hard way) that you must nip it in the bud right away. If you don't the coach and other players will pick it up and you'll hear it from everyone, including the spectators. Stop it early with a warning and 99% of the time it will stop. JMO
This is the right way. Preventive umpiring is what you need to do. Our job entails managment of the game that includes rotating balls checking bats and checking egos. That doesn't include being disrespected or having to take guff from some 16 yr old ill mannered child. After you warn them,you toss them!
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As per the OP, if F2 is not addressing the PU, then why should the PU even dignify any of the F2's actions? Where does the rule book read that F2's can't hold their mitt up/frame a pitch, or shrug their shoulders?
So, no one is able to cite these 'rules'?

I didn't think so.