The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 06, 2008, 11:39pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

First Slow Pitch Game

A while back, I mentioned I might help keep score for my friends and their co-ed slow pitch team. Well, I sealed the deal this weekend and tonight was the first game (second for the team, since the had one a week ago).

The one thing that I'll have to get used to is the umpired calling "deep", "hit the plate", "flat", etc. Personally, I'd just as soon hear "ball" or "strike", but perhaps ASA SP mechanics are different.

And for the AA moment of the game, the opposing team had a guy hit a grounder down the first base line. F3 picks it up and has what looks like a tag on the BR, but the umpire makes an emphatic safe call and sign. For whatever reason, the BR misses the safe call and goes into the bench area, making him out for abandoning the base.

Thankfully both teams were well behaved and classy (rare for SP, I know). We'll see how the rest of the season goes, but this was alot more enjoyable than the summer basketball I did the past two summers.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Tue May 06, 2008 at 11:41pm.
Old Wed May 07, 2008, 01:46am
Never Stop Learning

That is all there is, Ball or Strike. There is no such thing as deep, flat, or hit the plate. ASA mechanics by no means teaches these calls.
Old Wed May 07, 2008, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The one thing that I'll have to get used to is the umpired calling "deep", "hit the plate", "flat", etc. Personally, I'd just as soon hear "ball" or "strike", but perhaps ASA SP mechanics are different.
Glad you enjoyed the game. Too bad there wasn't an umpire.

Ed is correct about the calls. Those are a lazy man's mechanics who either hasn't received any training or just doesn't care.
Old Wed May 07, 2008, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Glad you enjoyed the game. Too bad there wasn't an umpire.

Ed is correct about the calls. Those are a lazy man's mechanics who either hasn't received any training or just doesn't care.
Oh, come on....those are terms used to communicate better with the players and enhance the overall experience of playing ball....

(I'll go back to my piano, now)
Old Wed May 07, 2008, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Oh, come on....those are terms used to communicate better with the players and enhance the overall experience of playing ball....

(I'll go back to my piano, now)
...yeah, shutup, Jim. Double fist pump yourself and shoosh.

Old Wed May 07, 2008, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
...yeah, shutup, Jim. Double fist pump yourself and shoosh.

Wow, you're in rare form today, SRW. You takin' your meds?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed May 07, 2008, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Old Thu May 08, 2008, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

A pet peave of mine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man
A while back, I mentioned I might help keep score for my friends and their co-ed slow pitch team. Well, I sealed the deal this weekend and tonight was the first game (second for the team, since the had one a week ago).

And for the AA moment of the game, the opposing team had a guy hit a grounder down the first base line. F3 picks it up and has what looks like a tag on the BR, but the umpire makes an emphatic safe call and sign. For whatever reason, the BR misses the safe call and goes into the bench area, making him out for abandoning the base.

Thankfully both teams were well behaved and classy (rare for SP, I know). We'll see how the rest of the season goes, but this was alot more enjoyable than the summer basketball I did the past two summers.
We are not commentators. Its either a ball or a strike. When you call a strike you don't say "Stike, right down the middle", do you? No, of course not. I found myself doing this same thing about 18 years ago and what I realized then is that I was justifying my calls to myself on marginal pitches. Just make your call and live with it. Ball or Strike.