The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 24, 2008, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Pitching Rules Questions

14U Rec. Ball

I know that these are HTBT situations, I will try to describe what I saw in as much detail as possible. Thanks.

Pitcher #1
Steps on the pitcher's plate with ball in pitching hand and arms by her side. She would bring both hands up, touching the ball to the end of her glove, then without pause, drop the hands down and start her windmill motion with the pitching arm.

Question #1, Does touching the ball to the end of the glove consitutite bring the hands together?

Question #2, In what part of the pitching sequence does the 1 to 10 second pause belong.

Pitcher #2
After catching a throw back from the catcher, pitcher would hold glove out like a plater and put pitching hand with ball on top of glove as if presenting the ball to the batter, then back up and stand on the pitcher's plate. Pitcher would drop hands from this position and start windmill motion with pitching arm.

Question #1, Doesn't the pitcher's hand have to be seperated when move to the pitcher's plate?

Situation #1
Bases loaded, 1 out, 0-0 count. Batter steps in, Pitcher #2 drops hands and catcher yells something to her and she stops her motion. I thought the PU said "BALK", but the PU said "BALL" a second time.

Question #1, Was the PU calling an illegal pitch and awarding the batter a ball?

Question #2, If this was an illegal pitch call, is not each runner award the next base?

Thanks

GaryB
Old Thu Apr 24, 2008, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBarrentine
14U Rec. Ball

I know that these are HTBT situations, I will try to describe what I saw in as much detail as possible. Thanks.

Pitcher #1
Steps on the pitcher's plate with ball in pitching hand and arms by her side. She would bring both hands up, touching the ball to the end of her glove, then without pause, drop the hands down and start her windmill motion with the pitching arm.

Question #1, Does touching the ball to the end of the glove consitutite bring the hands together?

Question #2, In what part of the pitching sequence does the 1 to 10 second pause belong.
She has to take a signal/appear to take a signal after stepping on the plate but before delivery. But there is no time on that. There is no 1-10 second pause. She must then bring her hands together for 1-10 seconds.

Pitch #1 above sounds legal to me.

Quote:
Pitcher #2
After catching a throw back from the catcher, pitcher would hold glove out like a plater and put pitching hand with ball on top of glove as if presenting the ball to the batter, then back up and stand on the pitcher's plate. Pitcher would drop hands from this position and start windmill motion with pitching arm.

Question #1, Doesn't the pitcher's hand have to be seperated when move to the pitcher's plate?

Illegal, see my response above.

Quote:
Situation #1
Bases loaded, 1 out, 0-0 count. Batter steps in, Pitcher #2 drops hands and catcher yells something to her and she stops her motion. I thought the PU said "BALK", but the PU said "BALL" a second time.

Question #1, Was the PU calling an illegal pitch and awarding the batter a ball?
I'm not sure. You were there I have trouble enough hearing what someone said when I'm there.

Quote:
Question #2, If this was an illegal pitch call, is not each runner award the next base?

ball on batter everyone advanced 1 base or result of the play. When an IP is called and the pitch is not delivered, I just make the awards.

I'd need more details to determine if there was an IP in your last scenario.
Old Thu Apr 24, 2008, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Agree

#1 Sounds legal

#2 Sounds Illegal...must step onto the plate with the hands seperated (ball in either bare hand or glove)

#3 Need more info...had her hands seperated before she stopped her motion? Pitch doesn't begin before hands seperate. She can legally "stop" as long as she hadn't seperated hands.
Old Thu Apr 24, 2008, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBarrentine
14U Rec. Ball
Others have stated the rules. I think your first statement may be the reason that the calls weren't made.

Don't know about your neck of the woods, but in my area, rec ball is much more laid back than travel ball.