The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

1) If the pitcher is pitching from the set with nobody on and does not come to a complete stop and delivers the pitch, is this a ball? (OBR)

2) Pitcher is taking his signs on the rubber with runners on and is spinning the ball in his hand about hip-high. The ball drops from his hand but the pitcher catches it at about mid-thigh. Is this still considered a drop and a balk, or does the ball have to hit the ground for it to be considered a drop?

3) (Runners on base) Pitcher engages the rubber with the ball in his glove. He then flips the ball directly from his glove to his bare hand. His bare hand never reaches into the glove to get the ball. Is this a balk?

Thanks
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

largeone,

1. This is "nothing" (in OBR) - call the pitch.

2. Balk. 8.05(k)

3. I wouldn't recommend it, but it's not a balk if he does this as part of "settling" on the rubber as he engages.

JM
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by largeone59
1) If the pitcher is pitching from the set with nobody on and does not come to a complete stop and delivers the pitch, is this a ball? (OBR)
in defining the set position in 8.01(b), it defines the position and says "before assuming set position, the pitcher may elect to make any natural preliminary motion such as that known as 'the stretch.' but if he so elects, he shall come to set position before delivering the ball to the batter." i agree that this is pretty much nothing though, unless you judge that the pitcher quick pitched, then it would be called as such

Quote:
2) Pitcher is taking his signs on the rubber with runners on and is spinning the ball in his hand about hip-high. The ball drops from his hand but the pitcher catches it at about mid-thigh. Is this still considered a drop and a balk, or does the ball have to hit the ground for it to be considered a drop?
8.05-k doesnt go into detail whether or not it has to touch the ground. could be wrong, but i think if you drop the ball out of your glove/hand thats a drop and would be called as a balk whether or not you caught it. the book does cover accidental and intentional drops as one, which to me means if you drop it you drop it and its a balk.

[Edited by briancurtin on Aug 2nd, 2005 at 12:56 AM]
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is illegal in Federation play. I think this is called a balk not an illegal pitch.
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Quote:
This is illegal in Federation play. I think this is called a balk not an illegal pitch.

I think it's a ball with no runners and a balk with runners if I'm reading the BRD correctly. Anyhow, the stop does apply with no runners in FED.
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Ives
Quote:
Quote:

I think it's a ball with no runners and a balk with runners if I'm reading the BRD correctly. Anyhow, the stop does apply with no runners in FED.
You have the penalty right, but I thought that the FED termed this as a balk even though no was one on base.
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Ives
Quote:
Quote:

You have the penalty right, but I thought that the FED termed this as a balk even though no was one on base.
You can't balk with no one on base. See 2-3 ( .. "with a runner(s) ... )and 6-2-4 ("If there is a runner or runners ...")

You can have an illegal pitch, which is a balk with runners on base, and a ball with no runners on. That's the situation here.

Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
You can't balk with no one on base. See 2-3 ( .. "with a runner(s) ... )and 6-2-4 ("If there is a runner or runners ...")

You can have an illegal pitch, which is a balk with runners on base, and a ball with no runners on. That's the situation here.
I know that is what the rule says, but Rumble has said that it is possible to balk with no one on base, and the penalty is a ball, same as an illegal pitch.
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

And,

I agree with what LDUB is saying.

In the Newsletter (I think 1995) when Brad identifys this actions as illegal he calls it a "Balk" . . .

It has been pointed out everytime that even in FED you cannot balk with no runners on but Brad Rumble never corrected his original comment.

I think it is safe to say it actually is an illegal pitch, with penalty, which is the key issue of difference with OBR.

Words are not really important.

We know that the "non-pause" and the start stop windup, with no runners on, is still an infraction ain FEDlandia.

T
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

FED - illegal pitch, penalty is add one ball to the count.
OBR - no penalty for not stopping with no runners.
Old Sat Aug 06, 2005, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

If there is no penalty in OBR for not coming set with no runners on, what about if the pitcher double sets, ie. he comes set, and then moves and comes set again?

Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates