The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

The 10 second rule

NFHS

A local "controversy" last week regarding 6-1-1(c) prompted me to look into the NFHS rules book (only dealing with ASA right now).

I noticed that the penalty for an Rule 6, Section 1, Article 1 violation (sounds rather federal doesn't it) is, "An Illegal Pitch is Called" nothing more is mentioned. Further down, when identifying the penalty for violations of Article 2, 3, & 4, (specific to those articles .. it doesn't mention Article 1) the book again says "An Illegal Pitch is Called", and then goes on to identify the penalty for the violation. The same is true throughout the pitching section.

Misprint? or is the penalty for violating 6-1-1 only to call "Illegal Pitch" .. and if so .. then what?
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaellis
NFHS

A local "controversy" last week regarding 6-1-1(c) prompted me to look into the NFHS rules book (only dealing with ASA right now).

I noticed that the penalty for an Rule 6, Section 1, Article 1 violation (sounds rather federal doesn't it) is, "An Illegal Pitch is Called" nothing more is mentioned. Further down, when identifying the penalty for violations of Article 2, 3, & 4, (specific to those articles .. it doesn't mention Article 1) the book again says "An Illegal Pitch is Called", and then goes on to identify the penalty for the violation. The same is true throughout the pitching section.

Misprint? or is the penalty for violating 6-1-1 only to call "Illegal Pitch" .. and if so .. then what?
Not a misprint -- just a failure to spell out the penalty for an illegal pitch (ball on the batter, runners advance one base).