The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Catcher Standing on Plate. (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/43373-catcher-standing-plate.html)

MNBlue Tue Apr 08, 2008 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne
I think gm is saying the runner would have reached home (ITUJ) if not obstructed.
Isn't this the same as a runner tagged between the point of OBS and the next base or returning to the previous base because of being OBS and then being awarded the attempted base?

Yes, but they still have to touch the base. If it was any base other than the plate, it is obvious, since they are going to go stand on the next base. This makes the plate a little unique.

Skahtboi Tue Apr 08, 2008 01:30pm

Why do all the good arguments on here occur either when I am at lunch, asleep, or working? (I can hear the cracks about sleep and working already.)

Dukat Tue Apr 08, 2008 01:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBlue
Yes, but they still have to touch the base. If it was any base other than the plate, it is obvious, since they are going to go stand on the next base. This makes the plate a little unique.

A little unique but not much in so that the next stop is the dugout. They had all the time from the point of obstruction till they touch the DBT in the dugout to finish their baserunning duties.

MNBlue Tue Apr 08, 2008 01:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dukat
A little unique but not much in so that the next stop is the dugout. They had all the time from the point of obstruction till they touch the DBT in the dugout to finish their baserunning duties.

I understand that completely. But, if you weren't an umpire, would you be aware of your baserunning duties at age 14?

Dukat Tue Apr 08, 2008 01:50pm

Quote:

I understand that completely. But, if you weren't an umpire, would you be aware of your baserunning duties at age 14?

Maybe not but the coach should have been and should have been yelling at her to go back and touch the plate before she got in the dugout.

MNBlue Tue Apr 08, 2008 01:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dukat
Maybe not but the coach should have been and should have been yelling at her to go back and touch the plate before she got in the dugout.

Thanks for the laugh. But you should put a smiley in your post when you are making fun of coaches. :D

Dukat Tue Apr 08, 2008 02:01pm

Quote:

Thanks for the laugh. But you should put a smiley in your post when you are making fun of coaches. :D

Yes, I should have :)

NCASAUmp Tue Apr 08, 2008 02:05pm

Quote:

Coaches are dumb :D

Sorry, I'm in a slap-happy mood today. My games weren't cancelled due to wet conditions, so back behind the plate, I go. :cool:

bkbjones Wed Apr 09, 2008 02:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota
Take the OP situation. When would you call the ball dead?

Which is why I posed the question...

WestMichBlue Wed Apr 09, 2008 09:06am

This issue intrigues me as it raises the question: "Are you going to call the book literally? Or by the spirit of the law?"

R1 coming home, F2 blocks the plate, R1 slides wide, PU's arm out and says "obstruction," R1 misses plate, F2 receives ball.

Sit 1: F2 dives and tags R1; PU calls dead ball, awards R1 home on obstruction.

Sit 2: F2 looks at PU and says, "she missed the plate," then tags R1. PU honors the appeal (which is an exception to the obstruction rules), and calls R1 out.

Can anyone find a rule that supports allowing a runner free access to return to touch a base missed due to obstruction, before honoring a missed base appeal?

WMB

Bluefoot Wed Apr 09, 2008 09:44am

What if the PU calls OBS after the play is dead (either on his own, or after conferring with FU, for example) and after the BR entered team area? Do you then let the BR come out and complete her awarded baserunning, since it was the PU's failure to call OBS during live ball play that put the BR in jeopardy from completing her baserunning?

Dakota Wed Apr 09, 2008 09:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluefoot
...since it was the PU's failure to call OBS during live ball play that put the BR in jeopardy from completing her baserunning?

No, actually, it didn't. What prevented the BR from returning to retouch was her entering the dugout. Whether or not OBS was called, she is still obligated to touch home plate, and is in jeopardy of being out on appeal if she does not.

tmielke Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by WestMichBlue
R1 coming home, F2 blocks the plate, R1 slides wide, PU's arm out and says "obstruction," R1 misses plate, F2 receives ball.

Sit 1: F2 dives and tags R1; PU calls dead ball, awards R1 home on obstruction.

Sit 2: F2 looks at PU and says, "she missed the plate," then tags R1. PU honors the appeal (which is an exception to the obstruction rules), and calls R1 out.

WMB

In situation 2, if she missed the plate due to the obstruction, I would award home. Situation 1 is easy.

In the situation in the OP I would keep the obstruction/DDB signal on until she stopped trying to touch home. Then I would have a missed base and possible appeal. I think that this goes with the intent of the rules.

If the runner was tagged before touching the plate, while still attempting to touch the plate, after the the DDB sigal, then I kill the play and award bases.

Comments?

NCASAUmp Wed Apr 09, 2008 04:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluefoot
What if the PU calls OBS after the play is dead (either on his own, or after conferring with FU, for example) and after the BR entered team area? Do you then let the BR come out and complete her awarded baserunning, since it was the PU's failure to call OBS during live ball play that put the BR in jeopardy from completing her baserunning?

Okay, I'm not 100% certain of the mechanic here, so someone correct me if I'm wrong. In this case, I would expect the BU to call for a dead ball. At that point, the mess should be easily cleared up. The key word being: should.

scroobs Wed Apr 09, 2008 08:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by WestMichBlue
Can anyone find a rule that supports allowing a runner free access to return to touch a base missed due to obstruction, before honoring a missed base appeal?

WMB

ASA

RS #1,C,1