The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Getting over one of those games

Ever have one of those games? I had one last night, working with a great official thinking this should be a great game, then it started, had a questionable "collosion" with R1 stealing 2nd, I ruled to let it play on as defensive player came into runners path just as she caught the ball and defensive player side stepped. Then killed a play where ball came straight down appeared to be blocked from PU's view, that I still swear hit the batters foot....well I guess I was the only one that saw it (PU told me later....that it was not even close to her foot) a couple other little things that werent big deals but just added to the frustration of not having a good game. None of the calls made any difference in the game, batter where I killed it lined out next pitch, but it is really bothering me. I know I'm human but I have not had a game that I feel this bad about in YEARS. So what do you all do when you have had one of those games? I don't drink but I am thinking about starting after last night!
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

what CAN you do except learn from any "mistakes" and look forward to the next one .....
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

I think everybody here has had a game like you had.
I remember last year, I was working a MFP game on the plate. This was my 3rd night ever doing MFP. It was my 2nd plate game of the night. The first game went fine. The 2nd one....I had the worst strike zone since I started doing 12U. I knew it was bad....I was giving WAY to much on the outside, etc.
After the game, I was talking to my partner. He said that I relaxed TOO much. I was feeling confident and didn't go into the 2nd game with the proper mind set. I was expecting an easy game. A week later, I was on the plate again for MFP and I had one of my best games ever in terms of my strike zone. Maybe, you just let your guard down for that game.
My advice would be to just refocus for the next game and let the last game become a learning tool.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Man do I know how you feel. You get ready for a great game and then something goes wrong, a stupid comment (one you’ve heard a hundred times) just rubs you wrong, your cup is in the wrong place , or you may have heard a different interpretation on an old rule that has you questioning your logic … the list is long. What ever the reasons you just don’t have a good game. Good umpires recognize that they have had a bad game and look for the reasons, find a solution, and learn for next time. Poor umpires just look for the excuse and move on to the next game. Really bad umpire find the excuse and use it as an alibi the nest time the have a bad game.

I think the best thing to do after a bad game is to examine why and what may have caused the bad game, correct it, learn from it, try to never repeat it, and most important forgive your self and move on. Wipe the slate clean and reset for the next game. After all tomorrow is another day.

Bugg
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
...So what do you all do when you have had one of those games?...
Log onto the Official's Forum, tell us all about it, forget it, get ready for your next game!
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpharp
Maybe, you just let your guard down for that game.
My advice would be to just refocus for the next game and let the last game become a learning tool.
I have gotten to the point of feeling really confident and comfortable around 90 % of my games. Then I hit a spell of JV games. If something goofy could happen it did. And it seemed i got about 50 % of the goofy deals wrong. So I learned a VERY valuable lesson-never let my guard down and never assume it's going to be routine.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Hey, the next one's gotta be better.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2008, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
I don't drink but I am thinking about starting after last night!
DaveASA/FED, when you come to Moline this summer the first one's on me.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2008, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12yearblue
DaveASA/FED, when you come to Moline this summer the first one's on me.
Just wondering. When you selected this login name, did you realize you would need a new name every year?
Old Wed Apr 02, 2008, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Thanks everyone. I am going to take your advice. I was hoping to get back on the field lastnight but game was cancelled so the DH tonight will get my full attention!! Although I didn't know it I think I did let my guard down some, knew one team pretty well coaches are friendly I am on bases so I think I might have relaxed some....even though I know better than to allow that, cause as you know that is when something stupid happens. Live and learn and be glad that game is over....so the rest can be better!!
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't drink but I am thinking about starting after last night!
Dang, you shot down my best advice!

You have already done the work of reviewing what happened both on your own and with your partner. Best cure is to go out tomorrow and have a good game!
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 02:34am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
There it is. That string of games where we question why in the world do we do this? We come back but this string haunts all of us. It gets to most in time, those that dont need the money get the hell out. Those that do, persist but these games hang lie a black cloud.