The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Are bobbie-pins jewelry? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/43002-bobbie-pins-jewelry.html)

BuggBob Mon Mar 24, 2008 01:25pm

Are bobbie-pins jewelry?

NFHS Rules. First play of the game I notice a player is wearing bobbie-pins. I call time tell team A coach there are players wearing jewelry, issue jewelry warning. Second to last pitch of the game (no kidding) I call time and tell team B coach players are wearing jewelry (this time it was an earring). Player wont remove jewelry so she voluntarily sits down and they play short, next pitch game is over. Team B coach thought I should have let it go as it was the second to last play of the game. I told him a caught fly ball is an out if its the first play or the last play of the game, and that I did not want some little girl owning my house because she got hurt after I noticed she was wearing jewelry.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Mar 24, 2008 02:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuggBob
NFHS Rules. First play of the game I notice a player is wearing bobbie-pins. I call time tell team A coach there are players wearing jewelry, issue jewelry warning. Second to last pitch of the game (no kidding) I call time and tell team B coach players are wearing jewelry (this time it was an earring). Player wont remove jewelry so she voluntarily sits down and they play short, next pitch game is over. Team B coach thought I should have let it go as it was the second to last play of the game. I told him a caught fly ball is an out if its the first play or the last play of the game, and that I did not want some little girl owning my house because she got hurt after I noticed she was wearing jewelry.

Bobby pins are not jewelry, BUT ther are prohibited head gear. They fall under the hard items in the hair.

MTD, Sr.

SRW Mon Mar 24, 2008 02:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Bobby pins are not jewelry, BUT ther are prohibited head gear. They fall under the hard items in the hair.

MTD, Sr.

NFHS Rule Reference?

Dakota Mon Mar 24, 2008 02:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW
NFHS Rule Reference?

3-2-12. (not that I agree with the interpretation).

Quote:

ART. 12 . . . Players in the game are prohibited from wearing jewelry such as rings, watches, earrings, bracelets, necklaces (including cloth or string types), barrettes or other hard cosmetic or decorative items.

bkbjones Mon Mar 24, 2008 02:32pm

Recent partner and I go to check bats and hats.

Partner: "Girls, while you're hear, get all that hard stuff outta your hair. No bobby pins, no barettes, no nothing. Get'em out NOW!" (emphasis partner's)

Me: behind partner, turn so nobody can see me, and roll my eyes several times.

At pregame I ask coaches if their players are legally and properly equipped. If Sally loses an ear, she's getting the coach's house, not mine.

If partner forgets to ask...and asks me if I have anything to add...then I ask the question.

DaveASA/FED Mon Mar 24, 2008 03:09pm

You know I agree some umpires become overly officious about this type of stuff. BUT I also agree anything that I can't roll into a ball can't be in your hair. Anyone here think that a hot shot off the bat that takes a bad hop and hits a girl in the side of the head wouldn't force the end of a bobbie pin into the skin and cause a laceration? And not sure all of you have seen or know but NOTHING bleeds like a head wound. Will it puncture the skull and cause permanent brain damage....possibly not...but it will bleed like there is no tomorrow and mommy and daddy sees their angels blond hair all tinged red they start to see green. So ya I ask at pregame and shift it back on the coach, but if I am in the dugout I might mention in my normal laid back attitude "make sure you don't have any of that stupid stuff in your hair that is going to make us bring up that jewelry rule" I hate those types of rules, but I also hate the thought of losing my house (well maybe not, it still needs work:p ) so I mentioned it to the girls and the coaches verified to me they were legal and if I do see something I will mention it to the girl at that time and make them take it off but I don't go looking for it, I got way too much to do to hunt things like that down.

Monty Python Mon Mar 24, 2008 04:19pm

I'm helping coach a U12 girls team. Are the rubber/plastic wrist bands so many of the kids wear considered jewelry?

Thanks

LMSANS Mon Mar 24, 2008 04:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monty Python
I'm helping coach a U12 girls team. Are the rubber/plastic wrist bands so many of the kids wear considered jewelry?

Thanks

Yes

IRISHMAFIA Mon Mar 24, 2008 06:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monty Python

Thanks

No

Dholloway1962 Mon Mar 24, 2008 07:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
No

rule reference? I have always been told by every UIC they are considered jewelry, unless medical.

ronald Mon Mar 24, 2008 08:11pm

In Maryland, per NFHS rules interpreter, those lance armstrong type wristbands are not permitted. Remove em and warning, etc....

Ron

IRISHMAFIA Mon Mar 24, 2008 08:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dholloway1962
rule reference? I have always been told by every UIC they are considered jewelry, unless medical.

No, you give me a rules reference that specifically states those items are jewelry.

Dakota Mon Mar 24, 2008 08:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronald
In Maryland, per NFHS rules interpreter, those lance armstrong type wristbands are not permitted. Remove em and warning, etc....

Ron

The last time I checked, NFHS did not have a U12 division.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Mar 24, 2008 09:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota
The last time I checked, NFHS did not have a U12 division.

DING!!!....DING!!!....DING!!!

:cool:

wadeintothem Mon Mar 24, 2008 09:11pm

Those things sure can be hard to see and they sure are easy to miss....

Thats my experience anyway.