The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Are bobbie-pins jewelry? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/43002-bobbie-pins-jewelry.html)

ronald Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:32pm

Ding! Ding! Ding!

What purpose does that serve?

I consider myself an ASA umpire first and if that comment carries a negative connotation (as some might think so), that is not befitting a state ASA UIC. (pg 170, pt 6)

Ron

Dakota Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:55pm

The question was about a U12 team. NFHS and ASA have a fundamentally different rule and standard of enforcement regarding jewelry. Your NFHS rules interpreter's statement applies ONLY to high school sports, not U12.

There... somewhat longer than ding, ding, but maybe you understand the point.

ronald Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:42am

I did a poor job of writing what I wanted to convey.

I only wanted to convey what the rule was in NFHS concerning the rubber bracelets.

Will try better next time.

Ron

TwoBits Tue Mar 25, 2008 07:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
No, you give me a rules reference that specifically states those items are jewelry.

Are you serious?

JEL Tue Mar 25, 2008 08:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoBits
Are you serious?

Webster; Jewelry; personal ornaments made of precious or base metals, and precious or imitation stones.

NFHS; Jewelry; (such as) rings, watches, earrings, bracelets, necklaces (including cloth or string types), barrettes or other hard cosmetics or decorative items. -----Livestrong MAY be a decorative item, but it's not hard.

ASA; Jewelry; (use common sense) If deemed dangerous (to other players inferred) must be removed.

I understand the NFHS "hard line stand", and will enforce, but ASA (and others) is much more game friendly.

TwoBits Tue Mar 25, 2008 08:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEL
Webster; Jewelry; personal ornaments made of precious or base metals, and precious or imitation stones.

NFHS; Jewelry; (such as) rings, watches, earrings, bracelets, necklaces (including cloth or string types), barrettes or other hard cosmetics or decorative items. -----Livestrong MAY be a decorative item, but it's not hard.

ASA; Jewelry; (use common sense) If deemed dangerous (to other players inferred) must be removed.

I understand the NFHS "hard line stand", and will enforce, but ASA (and others) is much more game friendly.

Speaking NFHS...

Aren't these things bracelets?

DaveASA/FED Tue Mar 25, 2008 08:39am

I think one thing to remember is that the 2nd question was posted as a u12 team. They did not say what rule set, several leagues use NFHS rules so I fail to see why some are disregarding this rules information, it might be the only that fits this discussion.

I see Irishs point for ASA, although I think the better more informative answer would be in ASA it is umpires judgement if they feel it is dangerous it must be removed.

Lance Armstrong braclets were adressed at the NUS this year and it was said to have them removed. NFHS had the same stance. So I am having them removed if they want to play.

JEL Tue Mar 25, 2008 09:07am

Quote:

Speaking NFHS...

Could be, but they don't really follow Mr Websters definition of "jewelry" do they? For that matter, neither do cloth or string thingies!

Bottom line, We are discussing two seperate and distinct orginizations, ASA and NFHS. One says remove it, and is interpreted as no leeway, one says use common sense.

If you are calling a 12U ASA game, and deem the Livestrong bands as dangerous, then have them removed. If you are calling NFHS, it doesn't matter what you think, have them removed.

BuggBob Tue Mar 25, 2008 09:49am

In NFHS all jewelry in ALL sports is removed by rule. In ASA JO Softball the participants are minors and as such can not make a proper decision as to what is safe and unsafe. It should be up to their coaches and parents, but in the interest of my own personal safety ALL jewelry, including Lance's yellow band, is removed when they play.
We talk and talk about preventive officiating what is more preventive than requiring JO participants to remove their jewelry. As to adults -- they're adults (although most of us will agree that they clearly don't act adult like) and as adults they can decide for themselves what is dangerous or not.

SRW Tue Mar 25, 2008 09:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
Lance Armstrong braclets were adressed at the NUS this year and it was said to have them removed.

Do you have anything written to back that up?

NCASAUmp Tue Mar 25, 2008 09:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW
Do you have anything written to back that up?

Probably not, but so often, a lot of what's said at clinics and schools is not written down.

DaveASA/FED Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:07am

Sure the rule has been stated above. FED is clear, have them take it all off, ASA it was a suggestion/interpretation from a highly ranking NUS Supervisor. Of course it is your judgement, and like all other judgement calls they are not able to be appealed, but it was his opinion that only bad things can happen when they are left on, nothing bad can happen when they are removed, why not remove the chance of something bad happening?

Everyone has gone round and round here bottom line is it your judgement in ASA what is dangerous, if you want it gone either it is taken off or they don't play. What is dangerous is up to you but it is also up to you how much you leave yourself open to a discussion if someone does get hurt and "you let them play with that on" granted we always have the I never saw it statement. I think there are more important issues to address than this both on this forum and on the field. If you think it is dangerous have it removed or the player dont play...if you let it go and they get hurt in this sue happy world know you are open to a lawsuit, might not lose in court over it but you could be pulled into court over it, and who wants to miss a chance to umpire a game over some stupid thing like that???

Dakota Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEL
...ASA ...says use common sense.

Actually, ASA says to use umpire judgment. As we can readily see from the various threads in this very discussion board, those are NOT the same thing! :D :rolleyes:

Steve M Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEL
Could be, but they don't really follow Mr Websters definition of "jewelry" do they? For that matter, neither do cloth or string thingies!

Bottom line, We are discussing two seperate and distinct orginizations, ASA and NFHS. One says remove it, and is interpreted as no leeway, one says use common sense.

If you are calling a 12U ASA game, and deem the Livestrong bands as dangerous, then have them removed. If you are calling NFHS, it doesn't matter what you think, have them removed.

And that's the real key - know what sanctioning body you're working under for the game and follow their stance, whether you agree with that stance or not.

Stu Clary Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:06am

re: Livestong

Quote:

Speaking NFHS...

I had a girl remove one yesterday. She apologised and said that she forgot to take it off before the game - in other words, they already know it's consider jewlery, at least around here.